Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ipswich's Danny Haynes on being released by us

From the Evening Star:

DANNY Haynes today revealed that the kick in the teeth he received from Charlton Athletic four years ago gave him the push his career needed.

Haynes began pre-season training with his Ipswich Town team mates today a vital member of the Blues first team squad.

And he stressed that he is geared to make this his big campaign and continue to rise up the football ladder.

Haynes was a rather raw if speedy wide player when he arrived at Portman Road at the age of 16 having been released from the Charlton Athletic academy.

He was a member of the Town side that won the FA Youth Cup in 2005 and while many of that side has fallen by the wayside, Haynes has strode forward making 99 senior appearances and scoring 18 goals.

“Being shown the door by Charlton has made me a stronger person, a more determined one,” said Haynes.

“I love to prove people wrong, and this has been my goal since I left The Valley.

“Every year since I think I have improved, and this is going to happen again in 2008/09. This is going to be my big year.”

Like the rest of his team mates Haynes is confident that the Blues under manager Jim Magilton can achieve promotion to the Premier League this season.

He added: “We were not far off last season when I set my goal on scoring double figures. That did not happen, but I am determined to make sure it does this time around.

“I can't wait to get started and helping Ipswich gain promotion - and scoring a couple more goals against Norwich.”

And paper talk of a move away to a Premier League club cuts no ice with the speed merchant who enjoyed a summer break in Spain.

“There are rumours, and there always will be in football,” said Haynes. “But there is nothing concrete and all my thoughts are centred on lifting Ipswich Town up into the trop flight.”

Comments

• Did not even realise he was with us but i like him.

Before everyone jumps on the club and says why did we let him go please remember we were in the Premier League, and he was looked at being a 16 year old with extremely limited opportunities playing for us in the first team.

And in all honesty, he is a good player but not one that has been raved about that much in the past four years...

Good luck to him.
  • I'm told it was a choice between Haynes or Myles Watson. We kept Watson.
  • Weston even.
  • [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Weston even.

Shows what a huge impact he's had.
  • Good luck to the fella

wonder what the % of kid released by us that have gone on and mae it
  • [cite]Posted By: leftbehind[/cite]Good luck to the fella

wonder what the % of kid released by us that have gone on and mae it

Very low especially considering "made it" would have to mean "made it" at the same level he was released ie premier league.

Can't think of one player who was released in the Prem who has gone on (yet) to make it in the Prem other than Shittu who had one season and was relegated and maybe Turner (ditto?) next year.
  • Primus is the other obvious one, but you have to back to 1991.
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Primus is the other obvious one, but you have to back to 1991.

Not in the prem and playing at Upton Park. We also had a young lad called Richard Rufus coming thru.

If only he was still fit. He's still only 33.
  • Blimey - is he!?

Rufus would be superb for us now. The one club, war horse sort of centre back - just what we need.

Reckon he would have moved on somewhere down the line though?
  • Who cares what Haynes thinks, hindsight is a wonderful thing, he obviously wasn't good enough at the time, move on.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Did not even realise he was with us but i like him.

Before everyone jumps on the club and says why did we let him go please remember we were in the Premier League, and he was looked at being a 16 year old with extremely limited opportunities playing for us in the first team.

And in all honesty, he is a good player but not one that has been raved about that much in the past four years...

Good luck to him.

That is a rather poor argument. Why have a youth set up if we aren't going to give the young players a chance, irrelevant of what division we are in? If your good enough then you're old enough.

In this case though it sounds like getting the boot from us was the kick up the arse he needed and without it would he have become as good as he has? By the sounds of it, probably not.
  • WSSWSS
    edited June 2008
    Well he clearly was not good enough in the opinions of various members of management for the Premiership 4 years ago and nothing he has done since then has suggested any differently.
  • [cite]Posted By: Barn Door Lisbie[/cite]
    Good luck to him.

That is a rather poor argument. Why have a youth set up if we aren't going to give the young players a chance, irrelevant of what division we are in? If your good enough then you're old enough.

In this case though it sounds like getting the boot from us was the kick up the arse he needed and without it would he have become as good as he has? By the sounds of it, probably not.

That's the point. The judgement call at the time was that Weston was the better prospect. Maybe he (weston) didn't kick on as he thought he'd made it while Haynes's rejection was the spur he needed. Who can call 100% right every time with 16 year olds boys?

Thing is you can't give all the kids a chance. At least now the kids are getting out on loan quicker so at least you could see last year is Aswad Thomes, Osie Sankofa, Darren Randolph , Josh Wright had anything. Waggy and Shelvey made the first team as well. Maybe now Haynes would have gone out to Orient or Barnet on loan to see if he was any good first. Parkinson wanted Sam on loan when he was a Colchester but Curbs wouldn't let him go despite Sam being nowhere near the first team.

Weston certainly should have done that ASAP but by the time he did it was too late or he was just not good enough.

Fact is that in every club the majority of kids are going to be let go and that includes Boro, Man Utd or Millwall.
  • I can't believe Rufus is still only 33 ????

That can't be correct, surely !!
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]I can't believe Rufus is still only 33 ????

2002/3 handbook says he was born 9 Jan 1975.

Remember he made his debut in October '94 so he was only 19

Check with Shirty5 if you don't believe me
  • Every club has their missed opportunities but also getting the push may be the kick up the a*se that some players need. So it seems with Haynes. We have benefited the other way with players released from other clubs like Bowyer, for example.
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]I can't believe Rufus is still only 33 ????

Here's his wiki page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Rufus
  • Miles Weston looked a genuine prospect everytime I saw him play, was surprised that he never made it.
  • [cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]Miles Weston looked a genuine prospect everytime I saw him play, was surprised that he never made it.

Doesn't he play for Notts County?

He may well come again. We probably did the right thing for us at the time though.

The youngster I'm surprised we let go is Onome Sodje. He's only 20 now.
  • Myles Weston is also only 20, and signed for Notts County - I don't think he's set the world alight for them though.
  • Sponsored links:

• 27 Goals in 163 appearences. Roughly 1 in 6 games. Don't know how many were sub though.
  • [cite]Posted By: Vinnie V.[/cite]27 Goals in 163 appearences. Roughly 1 in 6 games. Don't know how many were sub though.
    http://www.soccerbase.com/players_details.sd?playerid=42198

Over half. Doesn't show if he ever got a good run of games for either Ipswich or Bristol City though.
  • Not been the same since a groin injury last year - typical Charlton crocked Charlton signing then
  • DRFDRF
    edited January 2011
    You get at least 14 academy players a year. You can't possibly offer them all jobs even if they were all England probables.
    And some players develop later (look at Bailey) so if he went on to prove himself then good on him, I don't think this reflects badly on us in any way.
  • Barnsley have had a bid accepted for him
  • Apparently been transfer listed by Barnsley, Could end up in League One!

• That article is a year old and Millen isn't manager anymore
  • Has been transfer listed again today apparently, some Wednesday fans seem to think they are going to sign him.