Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Current Barcelona team- best European club side ever?

Or would you rate the Ajax/ Milan teams of yesteryear (or anyone else) as better?

Comments

• They cant be cos Real Madrid is about five points clear of them at the top...
  • Ten points clear. But if you think Real Madrid are a better team than Barcelona, you want your eyes cleaning.
  • I mean this current crop of players not merely on this season. Theyve been more successful and will be more memorable than Franco's Eleven have been the past few years. Theyll be remembered like Milan of the 90s were this team.
  • You can never say EVER in Sport. You cannot compare eras.

I just have ;-)

I just have ;-)
    I didn't hear you.....

I just have ;-)
    I didn't hear you.....

Unless you're hiding under my bed in the hotel room in Swindon I'd expect not. (Just checked and you're not but found a quid and an almond so cheers.)

I know what you mean but surely the defences and tactics and fitness have improved significantly over time and this team would embarrass the legendary teams of the 70s and 80s?
  • The quid's a definite win, but I'd swerve that almond. God knows how long it's been under there
  • The quid's a definite win, but I'd swerve that almond. God knows how long it's been under there
    Ha, still better than anything on the menu!

• Yes, I believe so. The current Spain squad have a shout at being the greatest international team ever, Barca take the main nucleous of that side and then add the greatest player of his generation. Amazing.
  • Sponsored links:

Travelodge?

• Or the Madrid team of the 50's? They had a decent record......
    Being under threat of death tends to unnerve the opposition somewhat

Travelodge?

No slightly better but to be honest it could be a 6 star fit for the King of Saud but put it in Swindon and the air of despair, gloom and absence of ambition would make it akin to a tent in Chernobyl on a rainy tuesday night . ;-)

• team that beat United in Rome was a bit better then this one

Doubt they would beat this lot once in a hundred games as good as they may have been relative to other sides of that era.
  • edited March 2012
    You can never say EVER in Sport. You cannot compare eras.

I just have ;-)
    I didn't hear you.....

Unless you're hiding under my bed in the hotel room in Swindon I'd expect not. (Just checked and you're not but found a quid and an almond so cheers.)

I know what you mean but surely the defences and tactics and fitness have improved significantly over time and this team would embarrass the legendary teams of the 70s and 80s?

Swindon? .. all those 0abouts .. you'll never get out alive... referees nowadays are 10 times stricter than even 5 years ago so the Euro game has got more pitta patta and less aggressive .. my favorite team is the Man Utd team, the first English one to win the (old) European Cup in 1968, probably afore ye was a glint etc etc ... it had all the ingredients .. class and skill.. Best Law and Charlton, aggression .. Stiles, Kidd, and a legendary manager in Busby Berkeley .. no.. was Matt Busby .. THAT side is my all time favorite but in the modern era (whenever that started) is the current Barcelona outfit
  • Chelsea seemed to out muscle them. Never was a big fan of Italian football, but the AC Milan of Sachii would have had a very good chance of smothering them:

GK 1 Sebastiano Rossi
    RB 2 Mauro Tassotti (c)
    LB 3 Christian Panucci
    CM 4 Demetrio Albertini
    CB 5 Filippo Galli
    CB 6 Paolo Maldini
    LM 7 Roberto Donadoni
    CM 8 Marcel Desailly
    RM 9 Zvonimir Boban
    CF 10 Dejan Savićević
    CF 11 Daniele Massaro

or

MILAN:
    GK 1 Giovanni Galli
    RB 2 Mauro Tassotti
    LB 3 Paolo Maldini
    RM 4 Angelo Colombo
    CB 5 Alessandro Costacurta
    CB 6 Franco Baresi (c)
    CM 7 Carlo Ancelotti
    CM 8 Frank Rijkaard
    CF 9 Marco van Basten
    FW 10 Ruud Gullit
    LM 11 Alberigo Evani

Teams with quality players, who could also go nasty anti football. They'd happily kick you off the park, then let Boban, Van Basten or Savicevic do some genius.

Barcelona are the best team to watch in my life time.
  • Messi was unbelievable tonight. It's like he's playing Fifa 12 with the opposition set on easy mode.
    I'd agree with this. Di Stefano & Puskas...The latter was an absolute goal machine.
  • Sponsored links:

• Ten points clear. But if you think Real Madrid are a better team than Barcelona, you want your eyes cleaning.
    Scrubbed 'em, Real still miles ahead. National team with endless pit of debt, like I said before, if they ever don't win, it's disgraceful. ;-)

That's like saying Wednesday are a better team than us, a very bizarre comment.
  • In the past 20 years or so of my life, I haven't seen anything better. Barcelona have won 13 of the 16 competitions they've been in under Pep Guardiola! That's just amazing. Barcelona have the best player in the world and the majority of the Spaniards in there team were part of the winning World Cup team.
  • Messi was so good last night, they could have thumped another 5 past them if they never took the foot of the gas. Easily the best team of my life time, they still have Villa out injured too..... oh and playing Masherano as a CB!!!
  • Doesn't this argument come up every 10 years or so? Once this era finishes at Barcelona (and it will) we will talk about another team who dominates for a period and the same question will come up again. At the moment they are the best no question about it but it is all relative, you are only as good as the opponents you come up against.

As for Real in the 50s they had an amazing record but I wonder how many results were "aided" by Franco?
    In recent matches between RM and Barca the record is stacked in Barcelona's favour. RM haven't beaten them in the league for around three seasons and were turned over in the Copa del Rey quater finals recently and RM also lost to Barca in the CL semi-finals last season. In recent times Barcelona have owned RM.

• Owned them? Is that why they have a shirt sponsor now? To raise money to buy Real Madrid? Doesn't seem right that a club should own another team in the same league. Surely some sort of confilct of interest there?
    In recent matches between RM and Barca the record is stacked in Barcelona's favour. RM haven't beaten them in the league for around three seasons and were turned over in the Copa del Rey quater finals recently and RM also lost to Barca in the CL semi-finals last season. In recent times Barcelona have owned RM.

Three whole seasons! Wow that's, like, forever...
  • I loved some of the Liverpool sides......different era, different brand of football but oh so exciting!
    And in passing, god bless Shanks..........my all time favourite manager.
  • Three whole seasons! Wow that's, like, forever...

In terms of RM-Barcelona as you well know it is - the bottom line is that RM can't beat Barcelona in any kind of football at the moment. Despite their league positions Barcelona are the better team.

These things change - in the era of the galacticos it was also mostly one way traffic.