Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton/football related tube stories needed

edited August 2007 in Match Day Travel
A friend of a friend of mine has asked him to provide her with a chapter for her book. It's about tube journeys and wants a footy related one,

Does anyone remember anything memorable that happened on the way to a game?

If so, just throw the jist up on here and they will 'Hollywood' it up.

Comments

• Years ago, coming back from Fulham (I think) at one station a Charlton fan started shouting racist abuse to 3 black guys on the platform. As the doors closed, somebody pushed him off.
  • I remember coming back from Fulham and I think some fans were rocking the carriage so much it stalled in the tunnel for half an hour. Was that the same year that the ticket office box got knock over at Embankment? Fulham in the cup, Hales scored, ref got coined. I stayed on the train as I lived in East London then. These Scottish guys were trying to work out who this mob were. Went through just about every team until I told them.

Got to be some better one than that.
  • The game in question Henry was the 1-0 win at Fulham (Paul Curtis) 84
  • Remember it well. My brother got arrested for being drunk and disorderly before the game. We only just entered the pub. After the game, the B-mob were running amok in the West End.
  • Running up the down escalator after the play-off final, I think it was Charing Cross...

Anyway London Underground stopped the escalator.
  • I had an encounter with Sinner/Winner man on the way back from Craven Cottage on Boxing Day in 2001 or so.
  • [cite]Posted By: InspectorSands[/cite]I had an encounter with Sinner/Winner man on the way back from Craven Cottage on Boxing Day in 2001 or so.

Who? give us the story.
  • [cite]Posted By: DaveMehmet[/cite]The game in question Henry was the 1-0 win at Fulham (Paul Curtis) 84

so so long ago. They all merge into one.
  • I was there on that one Henry what a funny day that was all round
  • don't be a sinner, be a winner!

before he got himself an ASBO from Oxford Street, I swear he harangued me on the District Line back from Fulham on e Christmas.
  • Sponsored links:

• He was in Straford a week or so ago ...
  • I have seen him. Pain in the arse god botherer.
  • Earls court when we played chelsea in the late 80's with the Paul Miller goal.Chelsea fans tried to attack a tube full of us but to no avail
  • Does he still appear round by the North stand? I know someone who has seen him in Tenerife aswell!
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]A friend of a friend of mine has asked him to provide her with a chapter for her book. It's about tube journeys and wants a footy related one,

Does anyone remember anything memorable that happened on the way to a game?

If so, just throw the jist up on here and they will 'Hollywood' it up.

Coming back from Chelsea on Boxing Day in 1975, We'd just won 3-2 thanks to goals from Hales(2) and Warman, we encountered the 'fearsome' Chelsea crew on the district line train. I was with my dad and it had all kicked off in the ground when they'd got amongst the Charlton fans in the North Stand. My dad was a bit wary so he was watching our backs. After the match, got the tube and before the train had pulled out of Fulham Broadway there was fight on the train. Very frightening, very claustrophobic. When we got to Embankment the platform was full of Chelsea fans. Needless to say we didn't get off and went to a station further along the line and walked back. There was a few Charlton that wanted to get off at Embankment to have a go but I wouldn't have fancied their chances.
  • I hated chelsea from the late 70's bully boys and cowards who only ever use to have a go with numbers
  • Bad memories that one - the tube was full of Chelsea as well as Charlton and there was a big off in our carriage with the communication cord being pulled at one stage.

Not one I'd like to repeat.