Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Blades to sue WHU.

Sheffield United have announced they plan to sue West Ham for the cost of their relegation from the Premier League.
The Blades recently failed in their High Court bid to force new Premier League disciplinary action against West Ham over the Carlos Tevez affair but now plan to take a new course of action Toby Craig, a member of the club's legal team, said: "After consideration and discussion with our legal advisers Sheffield United are today initiating legal proceedings against West Ham United as we seek substantial compensation for our relegation from the Premier League."
The Blades' recent High Court bid came after an arbitration panel rejected their claim against the Premier League for failing to dock West Ham points over the transfers of Tevez and Javier Mascherano.
The top flight's governing body had instead levied a £5.5m fine on the London club in April.
The Blades have put the cost of relegation at between £30m and £50m.

Comments

• Do you think they'll call Mr Pardew as a witness?
  • Its over, they are just pouring dough into the hands of the lawyers.

Yes, the Spammers got VERY lucky but the Prem rules are watertight because its a private club so they are really just clutching at very expensive straws.

Sometimes life is not fair but you have got to move on or you'll go mad.
  • edited August 2007
    But by sueing West Ham and not the Premier League they are going down a different road. My guess is that they hope, when it gets to court, to be able to call witness such as the owner of MSI whose name I can't spell and get copies of the paperwork. Will it work? who knows but for £50m it might be worth a punt.
  • So then West Ham will have to give Sheff Utd between 30-50m. Ain't going to happen!
  • It keeps the can of worms open.

Something very not right happened here - and appears to have been swept under the carpet.

In a High Court action, both West Ham & the Premier League will be called to give evidence.
    And no doubt they will contradict themselves.

I don't think we've heard the last of this yet........
  • [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]Its over, they are just pouring dough into the hands of the lawyers.

Yes, the Spammers got VERY lucky but the Prem rules are watertight because its a private club so they are really just clutching at very expensive straws.

Sheffield United are still whinging and bleating - obviously can't take the fact they were relegated because they were simply not good enough to stay up.
  • But Wet Spam would have been relegated by Easter if they hadn't been allowed to play Tevez. He basically kept them up single handed.

I think they have a real chance of winning a judgement for damages - but not sure whether or not it would ever actually be enforceable. As people have rightly pointed out, the Premier League is a private club - they can (and have) basically write the rules as they go along.

Football is fucked, basically. Too much money, in too short a space of time, in the hands of greedy bastards with no common sense or scruples. Just like the city really ;)
  • [cite]Posted By: Charlie Block[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]Its over, they are just pouring dough into the hands of the lawyers.

Sheffield United are still whinging and bleating - obviously can't take the fact they were relegated because they were simply not good enough to stay up.

Agreed. I wish they would just shut up and get on with it.

All Sheff Utd had to do was win one game against another struggling side and they would have stayed up. Quite frankly, if you can't beat wigan at home to stay in the premiership then you don't derserve to be there.
  • [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]Its over, they are just pouring dough into the hands of the lawyers.

great post ormy, spot on
  • Sponsored links:

• I think SU are are gambling on Eggy making an offer out of court.
  • Good point Algarve, that's a very distinct possibility.
  • Noises coming from WHU since I wrote that suggest otherwise... at the moment.