Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Anyone sold a phone through CEX?

Just wondered if they need the box and charger as well?

Also what are they like with sticking to the promised prices?

Comments

• They can be fussy.There is a CEX in Dartford now near superdrug.
  • edited December 2012
    That takes me back,I used to sell fake nokia 8800 carbons from china on ebay,and once took one into cex they gave me £260 for it,i went back in probably 6 month later to sell some games and was told I was banned for selling them a fake phone,funny times.they dont need box or charger but you will get less for it.
  • Not very good, without the box and charger will proberly not take it , depends on how many they have in stock. Bought a lap top off them but never again, packed up after 5 months and when I took it back they said I defaulted the warranty by dropping it! Which I never did by the way.
  • I sold my PS2 and they wanted all the cables which I had to hunt down but they did do a good price. So I'd imagine that it would be the same for your phone. Hassle, but worth it.
  • I've got the charger and box so should get a half decent price. Dartford it is then .
  • I sold a phone to cex once, it was getting chucked by work but in working order. Sold it to them online with cables.

CEX then sent me a cheque for £65 twice for it!
  • edited December 2012
    Sold my desire hd to them. They gave me 20 quid more than the recycling companies.

If you go on their website and use the sell feature you will get quoted 3 prices. One mint condition, one good condition and one fair condition. They decide on condition when you go in.

Phones are the only thing that require photo i.d to sell. Also check the online stock checker for the branch you are going to. If they have loads of your phone they might refuse it.

As far as I know they have branches in Bromley, Bexleyheath, Woolwich and Lewisham.
  • Also one by the new Westfields, in the old stratford centre.
  • Went to the one in Gravesend this avo. Far too busy. Also forgot how much of a shit hole gravesend is.

Might try to sell it privately . Even though I could apparently get £165 for it in CEX as it's in blinding condtion and still boxed with charger I'd happily take £150 cash just to not go back to Gravesend.
  • Sponsored links:

• You should go to the Dartford one.
  • They're not taking any in Dartford. Got too many in apparently
  • What about Bromley ?
  • May just send it in , save the agro
  • What about Bromley ?

Or Lewisham
  • You'll get a better deal in cash converters, just tell them what cex offered and they will beat it even if it's by a fiver.
    Personal experience sold s2 when I upgraded to a s3
  • Not exactly a phone but got a question that I an hoping someone can help with.

My other half stepdad, has hundreds and hundreds of Blu-Rays and de cluttering he keeps giving them to me bit by but to sell on I just take them to CEX normally which isn't an issue.

However the bunch he gave me today some have weird barcodes, that when I have put them on the CEX website nothing comes up, I have looked online and they appear to have come from America, they work over here fine, just tried them on my playstation and no issues, my question is because the barcode isn't working well CEX refuse to take them as they normally get a price based on the barcode 
  • Used Cex to buy a phone for my.son recently, never again, rubbish service and crap staff. Was happy to pay the £20 more at game for the same phone as that one worked
  • Have bought cameras and lenses from CEX without any problems. Mainly from Woolwich. They have a 2 year warranty. Traded in one camera at the Walworth Road branch. 
  • Sponsored links:

• lets talk about CEX baby.
  • I worked at CeX Bexleyheath and then Woolwich when it opened 8 years ago:

I very much doubt they'll take the Blu-Rays, but all depends on how much the francise owners want money (we wouldn't take them because of the extra hassle of manually entering every title), but some would.

We would take Shaving Ryans Privates, Bum & Bummer, & Forrest Humps as we had an adult section ;)

For phones, we had an ABC system:

A - New in box with all accessories (we have to open though for obvious reasons)

B - New/In mint condition but without all accessories

C - Everything else

I was vigiliant with this, but lazy staff would just give the customer what they wanted to avoid hassle, so we had some C grade phones slip in to B grade and that's where a lot of customers find fault

We also had a 4 step checking policy before we even gave customers a price:

1 - Condition check
    2 - Internal check (water damage, battery damage)
    3 - Working condition (if it turns on, if the screen works etc)
    4 - Police check (putting the IMEI number into a scanner and seeing if any stolen goods came up...happened every week)

If all ok, then we gave them the appropriate offer
  • We also weren't allowed to call it "sex" because it was against the image of the brand

Now they embrace it and cringes me every time that advert came on
  • Yeah can't stand that advert, it's all "ooo look at us with our name that's a naughty word but spelt a bit differently, aren't we clever!". Fark off. 
  • I worked at CeX Bexleyheath and then Woolwich when it opened 8 years ago:

I very much doubt they'll take the Blu-Rays, but all depends on how much the francise owners want money (we wouldn't take them because of the extra hassle of manually entering every title), but some would.

We would take Shaving Ryans Privates, Bum & Bummer, & Forrest Humps as we had an adult section ;)

For phones, we had an ABC system:

A - New in box with all accessories (we have to open though for obvious reasons)

B - New/In mint condition but without all accessories

C - Everything else

I was vigiliant with this, but lazy staff would just give the customer what they wanted to avoid hassle, so we had some C grade phones slip in to B grade and that's where a lot of customers find fault

We also had a 4 step checking policy before we even gave customers a price:

1 - Condition check
    2 - Internal check (water damage, battery damage)
    3 - Working condition (if it turns on, if the screen works etc)
    4 - Police check (putting the IMEI number into a scanner and seeing if any stolen goods came up...happened every week)

If all ok, then we gave them the appropriate offer
    Really you wouldn't take them lol,  I would be complaining if I went all that way and they refused lol your website say you buy them for x amount of money, so u take them and give me my money haha.

Normally check before I leave anyway so I know what to expect reckon I should get £18 for the 12 dvds with normal barcodes turns out the other barcodes are UPC A Barcodes 
  • One thing I wouldn't trust is the website (though I haven't gone on it in years)

That's just the warehouse or whatever, each individual store is run by a francise owner so rules differ shop to shop (but still within the obvious company-wide policies)
  • Also, I'm not familair as I said, but does it say on the website that they take foreign (because I know they're regionless) blu-rays?
  • They took the normal Blu-Rays thankfully, didn't take the others so their for shpock haha he Did explain why, DVDS that come from America dont often have age ratings, so they cant legally sell them
  • Ahh yes that also

Amazing what you forget in 8 years
  • We also weren't allowed to call it "sex" because it was against the image of the brand

As its the one thing their employees have never experienced?