Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton players you saw play for other clubs but not us

edited January 2013 in General Charlton
The recent Alan Campbell thread started me thinking about Charlton players who I saw play for other clubs but not us.

So without reference to Colin Cameron's home and away so I am sure there will be errors and omissions here is my list.

I saw Alan Campbell play for Carlisle in the 81 promotion clinching game.I think I may have seen him play for Cardiff also.

I'm sure Paul Went also played for Cardiff in that era and I certainly saw him play for the O's towards the end of his career.

I never saw Goalkeeper Mike Walker's one game for us for but did see him play for Colchester as they did the double over us in 80/81.

I have only ever seen Billy Bonds play for Charlton in Vets games but saw him perform for the happy Hammers on many occasions.

The saddest example I have is Alan Davies who committed suicide towards the end of his career.I never saw his 45 minutes for Charlton at Gay Meadow ,but I did see him a few years earlier play for Manchester United in the FA Cup replay against Brighton.

Comments

• Jermaine Darlington
  • Richard Gough, Matt Elliott, Michael Turner
  • Peter Shirtliff is the one that immediately comes to mind, saw him playing for Wolves as a kid.

Paul Walsh I think I saw for Portsmouth as well.
  • Billy Bonds, Jermaine Defoe and ashamed to admit... Robert Lee
  • Paul Walsh, Mark Ailzlewood and Paul Elliot at Luton.
  • Don't think Paul Rachubka ever played a game for us, featured against us a few times though. Myles Weston as wel.
  • Paul Walsh
    Mike Small
    Jim Stannard

Probably saw a few more in my early days - but was too young to know who they were
  • edited January 2013
    Jamal Campbell- Ryce is the only one that comes to mind as I missed his few league cup appearances for us back in the day.

EDIT: I assume the question refers to players who actually played at first team level for Charlton as there are loads otherwise (Defoe etc).
  • Simon Walton for Ipswich
  • Sponsored links:

• I saw David Campbell play for Notts Forest against us in 1987/88 at Smelhurst Park, he looked really good in their midfield......he signed for us a couple of months later and did nothing for two years apart from score the winner at White Hart Lane after Willo kicked Tony Parks in the head.

Ended up going to Bradford City, I think.
  • Now runs soccer skills courses (David Campbell that is). A bit of a light-weight as a player but considering the other player we took from Forest around that time I can forgive him.
  • Charlie McDonald, Josh Wright, Jermaine DeFoe, Michael Turner
  • Now runs soccer skills courses (David Campbell that is). A bit of a light-weight as a player but considering the other player we took from Forest around that time I can forgive him.

We took Walshie a year earlier, so I was well excited about Campbell signing but he never really got going, similar to Andy 'The Next Ian Rush' Jones.
  • Good question - have to keep thinking about that one - just following on from Ormiston Addick's post I recall the excitement I felt when I bought a paper at Bexley station and saw that Andy Jones had signed from Port Vale (for £350k if my memory serves me well). From the word go, he looked like he was carrying a few extra pounds.
  • Simon Walton for Ipswich

What about Pouso ?
    Did you see him play?
  • I suppose the most notable one I saw play live was Billy Bonds. He played against us in the cup in the 70's and then in the late 80's when he was 42 or something.

I sympathise with the lifer who missed Stannard and Small - you will forever be at a disadvantage when picking all time worst Charlton teams!
  • Paul Walsh.
  • Billy Bonds (West Ham)
    Mark Kinsella (Colchester)
    Derek Hales (West Ham)
    Paul Walsh (Liverpool)
    Robert Lee (Newcastle)
    Alan Curbishley (Brighton)
    Chris Powell (Crystal Palace Reserves)
    Clive Mendonca (Sheff Utd)

and many more....
  • Billy Bonds (West Ham)
    Paul Walsh (Pompey and Spurs)
    Harry Arter (Bournemouth) - did he play for the Charlton 1st team?
  • Sponsored links:

• Shane Westley (Southend)
    Billy Bonds (West Ham and opening Key Markets on Canvey Island)
  • Mike Bailey Wolves is the one great player since following Charlton 67 that i would love to had seen pull on the red shirt for Charlton.
  • Neil Redfearn and Chris Wilder for Halifax Town.
  • Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink or does waddling around the pitch count as playing?
  • Tutt-Tutt said:

Billy Bonds (West Ham)
    Mark Kinsella (Colchester)
    Derek Hales (West Ham)
    Paul Walsh (Liverpool)
    Robert Lee (Newcastle)
    Alan Curbishley (Brighton)
    Chris Powell (Crystal Palace Reserves)
    Clive Mendonca (Sheff Utd)

and many more....

You never saw a single one of them for us?!

• Billy Bonds - West ham
    Peter Shaw - Gillingham
    Colin Powell - Gillingham
    Richie Bowman - Gillingham
    Dick Tydeman - Gillingham

• It occured to me on Saturday that after missing his appearance for us at Kenilworth Road that Harry Arter is added to my list.
  • Myles Weston (Brentford)
    Charlie MacDonald (Brentford)
    Michael Turner (Sunderland)
    Harry Arter (Bournemouth)
  •  Bump. 

I suspect Joe Ledley will be added to my list. 
  • edited January 2020
    Misread the thread title.