Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

!5 yr old Hull fan threatens legal action against police

A 15-year-old football fan has threatened legal action against West Yorkshire Police over travel and ticket restrictions on Hull City supporters.

The force said only fans who arrive on official coaches will be allowed into the game at Huddersfield on 30 March.

Officers said the decision was to ensure the match, which has a late kick-off, could be policed safely.

Louis Cooper, from Manchester, said he had instructed solicitors to try to get the "unfair" decision overturned.

The kick-off time for the match on 30 March has been changed to 17:20 to allow Sky to broadcast it live.

West Yorkshire Police said it had limited tickets for Hull fans to 1,500 and was making them travel on official coaches to avoid trouble from all-day drinking.

Louis said fans were deeply upset over the decision.

"I went to China with Hull City in 2009 free to do what I wanted and yet in my own country I can't go to a game how I want," he said.

Hull City fans will only be able to travel to the match on official club coaches
He said the police had failed to accommodate fans who did not live in Hull.

"On Monday we are sending a [solicitor's] letter before action and hopefully they might see that and say 'yes we were wrong'," he added.

The teenager's solicitor, Lochlinn Parker of Deighton Pierce Glynn, said fans were baffled by the decision and if the police did not drop the restrictions they would apply for a judicial review of the decision.

Mark Burns-Williamson, Police and Crime Commissioner for West Yorkshire, said the matter was an operational one for the police but he had listened to the concerns raised by the fans.

He added: "I will now be speaking to the temporary chief constable to see if any of the specific concerns raised can be accommodated without compromising the safety of people across Huddersfield."

The Football Supporters' Federation has described the rules imposed by the police as "draconian".

Comments

• Good luck to the lad, I agree it's ridiculous to assume all the fans will be travelling from one place at the same time, a few of my mates who come from Newcastle like to travel down to London the day before a game and stay overnight, what's the problem with that?
  • Good. It's an absolute joke, and although nothing will change here it would be nice if it could affect future games. As I said in another thread, this seems especially stupid as it's not one of Yorkshire's bigger rivalries and although a bit rough back in the day, neither side have a particularly known 'element' now.

What's a Hull fan who lives in Huddersfield supposed to do? Train to Hull, coach back to Huddersfield, coach to Hull then a train home? Next they'll be going the full hog as in some European countries and completely ban away away fans from fixtures.
  • what about all their masses of london based fans?
  • edited February 2013
    Good on him. This has been happening for years, someone needs to have a proper go. This is the fall out from the policing of Huddersfield v Leeds I understand.
  • Good luck to him ... doubt he will win but worth a try
  • LOL. I was doing some work with Deighton Pierce Glynn last month and had a chat with Lochlinn.

Funny that the lad is using a London firm but they are one of the top firms on Actions Against the Police.
  • I get the feeling that football fans are reaching the point where we won't just put up with being treated like criminals and now with things like forums etc there are relatively easy ways to mobilise larger numbers of fans to do something about it.
  • se9addick said:

I get the feeling that football fans are reaching the point where we won't just put up with being treated like criminals and now with things like forums etc there are relatively easy ways to mobilise larger numbers of fans to do something about it.

that’s what they are worried about. If they can keep pushing us around it might put us off enough from coming together and rising up and taking this country.

yeah...ive been reading allot of grapes of wrath lately.
  • RedPanda said:

Good. It's an absolute joke, and although nothing will change here it would be nice if it could affect future games. As I said in another thread, this seems especially stupid as it's not one of Yorkshire's bigger rivalries and although a bit rough back in the day, neither side have a particularly known 'element' now.

What's a Hull fan who lives in Huddersfield supposed to do? Train to Hull, coach back to Huddersfield, coach to Hull then a train home? Next they'll be going the full hog as in some European countries and completely ban away away fans from fixtures.

Whilst i agree with the sentiment, i'd argure that both these clubs can pull a significant element when need be, not that it really matters or is the main issue here.

These 'bubble' trips have been happening for ages now though - not sure why this one is getting so much publicity, but I'm glad as they are ridiculous.
  • They did the coach thing for both Southampton/Portsmouth games last season.