Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sight of the day

Ian Dowie's face as Ipswich scored their 3rd

Comments

• I do miss his pretty little face.
  • lets hope the ugly ones face is just like that next saturday
    super al
  • Dowie's a top bloke and a good manager. Really don't understand why peole are so anti him.
  • Please tell me all the reasons why Dowie was sacked...
  • i wont boo him,i think i may be in the minority though.
  • [cite]Posted By: DJ Davey Dave[/cite]Dowie's a top bloke and a good manager. Really don't understand why peole are so anti him.

I'm pretty ambivilant about Dowie. We gave him the job, foisted his staff upon him, wilfully sanctioned some awful buys and then rightly got rid when he began taking liberties. Don't particularly like him but also don't hate him. (Sorry JimmyMelrose !!)
  • he also set us up for cup glory,which les duly mucked up.
  • edited September 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Solidgone[/cite]Please tell me all the reasons why Dowie was sacked...

Simple.I reckon the board saw the departure of Curbs as a chance to gain control back of the club. Curbs was the most pwerful manager in the country except for Fergie. The board didn't like it and changed the management structure. The introduced the Head Coach/General Football Manager posts, Dowie and Mills.Worse still they appointed their own team No.2, Les Reed, their inside man. Dowie wanted to operate as a traditonal manager. Mills and Reed underminded his authority.
    Dowie started to do things his way and cut Reed out of the loop. When the board got wind of this they sacked Dowie and leaked a load of pathetic stories about him - The cricket match, The Great North Run, his brother etc. None of these meant anything whether true or not but bunddled altogether Dowie was made took like a buffoon.
    I reckon he is a good manager and so did all the players. They played for him, just weren't good enough. You can see what they thought of Reed by the performances against Liverpool and Wycombe.
    All Dowies buys were sanctioned by the people put in place to be in charge of such things and the club were in talks wiyh JFH before Dowie had left Palace.
    I prefer Pards though.
  • Good post DJDD
  • [cite]Posted By: DJ Davey Dave[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Solidgone[/cite]Please tell me all the reasons why Dowie was sacked...

Simple.I reckon the board saw the departure of Curbs as a chance to gain control back of the club. Curbs was the most pwerful manager in the country except for Fergie. The board didn't like it and changed the management structure. The introduced the Head Coach/General Football Manager posts, Dowie and Mills.Worse still they appointed their own team No.2, Les Reed, their inside man. Dowie wanted to operate as a traditonal manager. Mills and Reed underminded his authority.
    Dowie started to do things his way and cut Reed out of the loop. When the board got wind of this they sacked Dowie and leaked a load of pathetic stories about him - The cricket match, The Great North Run, his brother etc. None of these meant anything whether true or not but bunddled altogether Dowie was made took like a buffoon.
    I reckon he is a good manager and so did all the players. They played for him, just weren't good enough. You can see what they thought of Reed by the performances against Liverpool and Wycombe.
    All Dowies buys were sanctioned by the people put in place to be in charge of such things and the club were in talks wiyh JFH before Dowie had left Palace.
    I prefer Pards though.

Jeeez. I reckon you must be his brother. I think you're dressing up a story not the board. Dowie accepted the post as it was offered and then decided not to stick to it. He consequently sent us down as a result. It's only because Pards is doing a good job that you're able to look at it so nonchalently. I think you'd all feel differently if Coventry went up and we were stuck in The Chumpionship for ten years.
  • Sponsored links:

• No I don't think I would. I know what hapened.
    Don't get me wrong though, relativley speaking Pards is the best there is. Just for the record I did call for Pards as soon as Curbs went, and that is well documented on other sites before this one existed.
    I just see no reason why people want to have a dig at Dowie.
    I just see no reason why people want to have a dig at Dowie.

I've gone through this countless times before. If you can see it yet then I give up.
  • edited September 2007
    [cite]Posted By: DJ Davey Dave[/cite]
    I prefer Pards though.

very good assessment.

I prefer Pards though.

Lots of conjecture there DJDD
  • edited September 2007
    [cite]Posted By: DJ Davey Dave[/cite]

I prefer Pards though.

Lots of bollocks there more like. ; - )
  • Loads of facts there.
  • The thing is the truth has never come out. Also Henry what is the truth about Llanera as well. If they do go belly up will you ask Reg what he is going to do regarding the names on the supporters shirts if we get a replacement since us fans have spent quite a bit of dosh for the new away kit. ta
  • The truth may never come out, but my view would be that based on the facts:

1. We were not doing that great results wise
    2. Whilst playing attacking football we seemed to show little by the way of organisation and intelligence on the pitch
    3. We got a hell of a lot of hamstring and other, what I would term as avoidable, injuries. The vast majority of which seemed to disappear as Dowie's `innovative` training techniques faded into memory.
    4. Traore
    5. Faye

I am certain he would not have kept us up, maybe the board should have given him a few weeks more, but I doubt it would have made any difference in the long run.
  • Strong opinions on either side of the fence.

As always, the truth is probably somewhere in the middle of the two.

Don't know about others, but the whole Dowie period just seems such a long time ago, a lot more than just a year ago and so much water has passed under the bridge since then.

If we had to go through a grim period to get where we are now, playing decent football with an encouraging young squad, seeing Charlton win and with a respected manager the majority of fans are happy with, then i would of taken it.
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]

If we had to go through a grim period to get where we are now, playing decent football with an encouraging young squad, seeing Charlton win and with a respected manager the majority of fans are happy with, then i would of taken it.

Couldn't agree more. The feeling everyone seems to have about the team now is well worth the bleakness of the first 5 months of last season...All worth it now.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: pete_tong1[/cite]The thing is the truth has never come out. Also Henry what is the truth about Llanera as well. If they do go belly up will you ask Reg what he is going to do regarding the names on the supporters shirts if we get a replacement since us fans have spent quite a bit of dosh for the new away kit. ta

There will be a new home and away shirt for next season in any case. I've seen the reports on Llanera as we all have but the ball is really in their court as to whether they want to pull out of the deal.

If they did, which is far from certain, pull out at the end of the season at least the new shirts mean that there wouldn't be the same issue with a change mid-season but we'll have to wait and see on that.
  • Dowies problem is that he is that he knows very little about the defensive side of the game.

As we will show him on Saturday hopefully.