Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Kavanagh was axed by Charlton Kav Sturrs up Addicks

THE man who sacked Southend boss Paul Sturrock two weeks before their Wembley final is involved in a job dispute of his own.
Shrimpers chief executive Steve Kavanagh is taking Charlton to an industrial tribunal over his exit last summer.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/4864864/Dan-Kings-Sport-Uncovered-Kav-Sturrs-up-Addicks.html#ixzz2OvJl403j

Comments

• Christ Ricks quote from on here is in The Sun!!

Very interesting. Thanks.
  • Sacked a club stalwart with Parkinson's just before a wembley final. Trying to extract money out of our club despite them leaking cash under his regime and him resigning. Happy enough to bin a number of charlton staff himself when his dire financial management necessitated it. Seems a class act. Hope this goes well for him. No wonder there's so much love for this hero on here.
  • Sacked a club stalwart with Parkinson's just before a wembley final. Trying to extract money out of our club despite them leaking cash under his regime and him resigning. Happy enough to bin a number of charlton staff himself when his dire financial management necessitated it. Seems a class act. Hope this goes well for him. No wonder there's so much love for this hero on here.

Drivel.
  • Was just about to link it. Nothing new, and about 8 months late to the party.

But interesting they think Varney has settled

Drivel.
    What part isn't true?

Drivel.
    Why?

Oh dear!!

Drivel.
    What part isn't true?
    Do you really need to ask that question?

The system is loaded against you, the rug is pulled from under you, you have to make some very difficult decisions and your bucket is full of holes. But yeah, let's blame the man trying to carry the bucket.
  • I knew things were bad but I never realised our bucket had holes :0(

Good job our car park doesn't have holes...oh!

• Sponsored links:

You think that's bad.

I've heard that they can't even find the bucket these days.

• Off_it said:

I knew things were bad but I never realised our bucket had holes :0(

You think that's bad.

The bucket hasn't been seen for a very long time. Rumour has it that it was given to former physio Jimmy Hendry as his golden handshake (as we couldn't afford a gold watch). The sponge was last spotted in the asda car park, being used by a romanian car cleaner......................

Always trust Tango to come up with the facts.
  • Off_it said:

I knew things were bad but I never realised our bucket had holes :0(

You think that's bad.

The bucket hasn't been seen for a very long time. Rumour has it that it was given to former physio Jimmy Hendry as his golden handshake (as we couldn't afford a gold watch). The sponge was last spotted in the asda car park, being used by a romanian car cleaner......................

Always trust Tango to come up with the facts.
    Need Airman to confirm before I believe any of that.
  • Curb_It said:

Christ Ricks quote from on here is in The Sun!!

Very interesting. Thanks.

Wonder if their NAP for the national will be tea4three?
    Might start plastering pictures of Rachel Riley all over the showbiz section n all.

• Well, at least the "kav and Varney left on good terms and all was rosy in the boardroom" myth has been shown up to be the lie it is.

A couple of things.

CEO don't sack managers, chairman do. Slater sacked Parky not Kav and I'd wager good money it was the Southend Chairman who sacked Sturrock not Kav.

Kav was an employee and if he feels he was dealt with unfairly he's entitled to go to law. The truth will come out in court.

If Varney has settled, which I very strongly doubt, what did he settle and why was a settlement ever needed. As I say I doubt that he left on good terms or that the issue has been settled. Either way the Varney left on good terms myth is undermined.

My guess is that the Sturrock sacking is being used oppurtunistically by someone to undermine the credentials of Kavanagh prior to the case mentioned.

Of course, Mr Slater could clarify the situation very easily with a statement on the official site. I look forward to reading an obscure reference in the SLP instead.
  • Well, at least the "kav and Varney left on good terms and all was rosy in the boardroom" myth has been shown up to be the lie it is.

A couple of things.

CEO don't sack managers, chairman do. Slater sacked Parky not Kav and I'd wager good money it was the Southend Chairman who sacked Sturrock not Kav.

Kav was an employee and if he feels he was dealt with unfairly he's entitled to go to law. The truth will come out in court.

If Varney has settled, which I very strongly doubt, what did he settle and why was a settlement ever needed. As I say I doubt that he left on good terms or that the issue has been settled. Either way the Varney left on good terms myth is undermined.

My guess is that the Sturrock sacking is being used oppurtunistically by someone to undermine the credentials of Kavanagh prior to the case mentioned.

Of course, Mr Slater could clarify the situation very easily with a statement on the official site. I look forward to reading an obscure reference in the SLP instead.

I doubt any of that is very far off the money apart from the obscure reference in the SLP. I doubt we will get even that.

Mmmm. I'm very much a fan of Kav, I always found him to be a thoroughly decent, generous spirited and open man. It's obviously time to be doubly aware of planted stories trying to smear people's reputations in advance of a court case. They did it to Rick and they're at it again IMO.

Why is it drivel? I'll explain.

Sacked a club stalwart with Parkinson's just before a wembley final. - As Henry says, chairman and owners make the decision to sack the manager, not the chief executive.

Trying to extract money out of our club despite them leaking cash under his regime and him resigning. - The club leaked money because of a string of bad board decisions, most of them football related and made before Kav was even a director. Is David Joyes (chief financial officer) responsible for the club's current parlous financial state - hardly. If you or I gave notice at work, you'd expect either to work that notice or be paid for it, I assume.

Happy enough to bin a number of charlton staff himself when his dire financial management necessitated it. - Staff were made redundant because the team was relegated two divisions in two years. Inevitably this was a fraught and unfair process and I would certainly have made some different decisions at senior level, as I know would Kav if they had been his decisions. They weren't. However, it is risible to say that mismanagement by the head of finance / managing director caused the redundancies - bad football decisions leading to two relegations and a massive drop in income did.

There are a number of people on here who will have had dealings with Kav over the ten or so years he worked for the club. I gave him a hard enough time as chief executive in private, as he'd acknowledge, but he is a decent, honest and professional person who cares about what happens to our club.

My understanding is that the Sun story is also wrong in one important respect. There has been no settlement between Peter Varney and the club, although Peter's is not an employment tribunal but a court case.
  • I assume Slater can't say anything much on the record if it's going to an industrial tribunal, and if Varney has settled then there will be a confidentiality agreement on both sides

It's interesting that the Sun journalist knows who Airman Brown is. I'm waiting for the story in The Sun tomorrow about international playboy and superstud "Killer and Flash" :-)
  • edited March 2013
  • Sponsored links:

• My understanding is that the Sun story is also wrong in one important respect. There has been no settlement between Peter Varney and the club, although Peter's is not an employment tribunal but a court case.

To be fair the Sun is reporting the case as "believed to have been settled".
  • This article stinks.

Reminds me of the on-line only article which told readers that Scott Parker had signed for Chelsea, when at the time Charlton were still fighting to keep him, he only signed two weeks later. I complained about it to the PCC at the time, as it was obvious that it was an article with an agenda rather than a news report. People shouldn't hesitate to make a similar complaint if this article turns out to be similarly bogus.

The Sun just doesn't seem to learn, does it?
  • Well you know where they say the sun shines out of don't you ?
  • This article stinks.

Reminds me of the on-line only article which told readers that Scott Parker had signed for Chelsea, when at the time Charlton were still fighting to keep him, he only signed two weeks later. I complained about it to the PCC at the time, as it was obvious that it was an article with an agenda rather than a news report. People shouldn't hesitate to make a similar complaint if this article turns out to be similarly bogus.

The Sun just doesn't seem to learn, does it?

I had that thought in mind - IIRC the Sun ran a story about how Curbs demanded to leave West Ham when he was a player there in the 1970s and then contrasted that with the Parker situation, the implication being that Curbs was being hypocritical.

• Chief exec that has zero to do with the sacking of the clubs key employee, while he had a debilitating disease, two months before the end of his contract and two weeks before he would lead the team out at wembley. Finance director and CEO with 10 years employment at Charlton that had nothing to do with the financial mess the club got into. Hope Steve gets luckier in his appointment of a barrister.
  • Wasnt the Geordie smiler in charge when the financial decisons were made?
  • Chief exec that has zero to do with the sacking of the clubs key employee, while he had a debilitating disease, two months before the end of his contract and two weeks before he would lead the team out at wembley. Finance director and CEO with 10 years employment at Charlton that had nothing to do with the financial mess the club got into. Hope Steve gets luckier in his appointment of a barrister.

Just a couple of things. What has his parkinsons got to do with him being sacked? If you take the good times while being ill, be prepared to take the bad times too! Also, they might have sacked him because the team wasnt doing very well in the league, but they have invited him back to manage the Wembley game, which doesnt sound like a bad deal for him or sound like a mean club either.
  • edited March 2013
    <blockquote class="Quote" rel="razil">Wasnt the Geordie smiler in charge when the financial decisons were made?</blockquote>

Nominally . . . but in any case we'd lost the Premier League TV money in 2007 and then the parachute payment and the more limited Championship TV money, etc, that would have replaced it in one hit in 2009. It's difficult to see how that was Steve Kavanagh's fault. Neither was it his (very expensive) choice to continue to employ Waggott and Nigel Capelin in 2009/10 - see the 2010/11 published accounts for how much they cost.

Kavanagh was not even appointed to the board until September 2010. It's laughable to suggest that he had any influence on the crucial football decisions and they are the source of the financial problems.
  • Mortimerician

You make the mistake of believing that the title " CEO" at a football club is the same role as one with the same title at e.g. Unilever . It isn't. As others have said, the chairman, or rather the owner in our current case, makes the key decisions that a CEO would in a normal business.
  • Sorry might not be a favourable opinion but i am glad its in the nationals and dont care how its written

All i want is answers abd truth to things that are being let out in snipets from both sides

Its not new news its not an expose but it may make people think about their actions in the short term and just what they may have been playing with and manipulating to fit agendas