Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

10 and half things you never knew about........ Gibraltar

1. Gibraltar has been British since 1972 when 31 drunken tourists from Clitheroe occupied it after a particularity heavy weekend on a lash.

2. Gib is only 2.6 square miles in size or the size of Sidcup, with which it is twinned. The town was once twinned with Goole but this was stopped after the Mayor of Goole was caught in flagrante with one of the famous Gibraltar Apes

3. Famous people from Gib include John Wayne, Albert Camus and Eddie Firmani's mother.

4. Even though there are only 584 Jewish people on Gib (2.1% of the population) there are four functioning Orthodox synagogues and several kosher establishments.

Comments

• 5. The last colony of Neanderthals lived in Gibraltar where they co-existed alongside the natives without anyone noticing until 1973.
  • edited July 2013
    6. Humans besides, Europe's only wild primates live in Gibraltar. These Barbary macaques were forced out of Asia during the Great Monkey Wars that ripped through the continent in the 20th century. From the thousands that left in search of refuge, these are the only few who made it.
  • 7. People in the Bromley area of London have their alcohol shipped in from Gibraltar and generally start drinking it early in the morning.
  • 8. My old nan use to love going Gibraltar, almost as much as going Eastbourne!
  • 9. You can get a 27 Bus to Gibraltar
  • 9. Gibraltar was invaded by Britain in 1982 when a monkee erected a flag on a hill claiming that he & his fellow monkees owned the island on the basis of "squatter's rights". A fierce battle ensued which led to the sinking of the Belgrado. There were many casualties but all of the monkees survived and now Michael, Micky, Peter and Davy live a comfortable life served by monkey butlers.
  • Gibraltar is home to the world's largest collection of slices of toast with faces on them. In this collection are many famous deceased, including Elvis, Hitler, Jesus and George, the turtle from Blue Peter.
  • Gibraltar has been under siege 13 times in it's 300+ years of British dependency, yet it has never fallen into enemy hands.

There are more miles of roadway INSIDE the rock, than outside.

What is now the airport runway, was previously the racecourse - just like Gatwick.
  • Although Gilbralta's postcode is GI they are in fact conisdered part of Greater London.
  • If Gibraltar is ever struck by an earthquake, it'll be Rock 'n' Roll.

• Sponsored links:

• It is illegal to scratch your scrotum in Gibraltar
  • Although Gilbralta's postcode is GI they are in fact conisdered part of Greater London.

Pmsl
  • sam3110 said:

It is illegal compulsory to scratch your scrotum in Gibraltar

Them monkeys do it all the time.

Haha!
  • The Spanish who object most to Gibraltar being British all live in the Spanish protectorate of Morocco.
  • Our youngest thought that a plane was going to land on his head.

• Hope the traffic lights don't fail.
  • Going to set off from Malaga in about an hour!
  • Gibraltar was once the hideout for James Bond villain Scaramanga, he was possesed of 2 nipples, or 'superfluous areola', which is why the M&S store on the island sells specially adapted bras in tribute.
  • Sponsored links:

• Jayajosh said:

If you look carefully, you can just make out the pilot shouting 'Yes, and large fries please'
  • One of the cave tour guides is originally from Bromley and is a Charlton supporter - true story
  • Gibraltar was named after an embarrassing mix up when one of the Bee Gees was jilted at the local church. To mark the unfortunate incident the locals decide to name the rock Gibb@alter. This later became Gibraltar after a misspelling by the local registrar. - Tragedy
  • bc_addick said:

Gibraltar was named after an embarrassing mix up when one of the Bee Gees was jilted at the local church. To mark the unfortunate incident the locals decide to name the rock Gibb@alter. This later became Gibraltar after a misspelling by the local registrar. - Tragedy

"Islands In The Alboran Sea"
  • Gibraltar is owned currently by me and a guy from Nigeria I apparently inherited it from a long lost uncle who died in the Japanese tsunami now he has my bank details and my home number he will send me the transfer of deeds and it will all be mine

what a touch
  • epic nla.:)......... does this mean you've got it and I've been scammed again by a Nigerian email...bugger
  • Gibraltar is owned currently by me and a guy from Nigeria I apparently inherited it from a long lost uncle who died in the Japanese tsunami now he has my bank details and my home number he will send me the transfer of deeds and it will all be mine

what a touch

so who you supporting tonight ?
  • edited July 2013
    Gibraltar was first inhabited by The Puritans, a bunch of people with strict Protestant views on the world. They inhabited Gibraltar in the 17th century and became known as the Straights of Gibraltar. These Puritans took on the unbelievable task of building the Rock of Gibraltar with their bare hands. Historians believe this is a greater human achievement than the building of the Great Wall of China
  • Stig said:

Our youngest thought that a plane was going to land on his head.

I take it that's your eldest behind laughing at him?
  • Friend of mine ....in the army, once kicked a monkey of a cliff for nicking his hat.....well not so much a friend but a work colleague. ..true