Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Pardew and Reid

edited October 2007 in General Charlton
I think a major mistake Pardew made last season was building the midfield round Song, who proved too young and lightweight.

Unfortunately he is now doing the same with Reid. For me he cant play wide as he has no pace, does not cover defensively and cuts inside too much. Also i think he is too slow and weak to play central.

For me the jury is still well and truly out on Pardew and he needs to start managing aswell as he thinks he does. Dropping Reid to a peripheral role may just help him do that

Comments

• apart from that he's been our best player !!!
  • best as in what? assists and defence splitting passes? tackling back? leadership? keeping the team's shape? shots? free kicks?

I think not.

The problem is he is a tidy player on the ball but he is no lynchpin. pardew has talked him up but the evidence on the pitch contradicts his views
  • I think just digging out Reid is a bit much....I suspect he's carrying a bit of a knock but still appears to try harder than any of the others out there (Mills the exception)

now if we're having a dig at the players from saturday then....

Fortune...what an inept waste of space...why did he let that bloke run from the half way line before then deciding to hack him down in the box, do it 40 yards out when you had the chance.

Strikers....any of them !, not convinced at all about Varney and as for Iwelumo, that bloke is still dining out on the Sheff Wed game...couldn't win a thing in the air and I cannot stnad it when he plays because we become so predictable...McClown...well !!

according to todays paper we are signing Razeak (sp?) for £2m from Southampton ?, does the transfer window affect Championship clubs or can players move from one to another still now ?
  • Agree re the strikers and adds to my point re Pardew... he bought them! dowie was slated for his purchases. pardew needs to get from them what he saw before he bought them.

if you compare our front line to eg watford, wolves, west brom, stoke, bristol city, even Plymouth, you can see why we are struggling. Not that reid, sam, zz et al are overwhelming them with chances
  • I think with the squad we have at our disposal, especially the midfield and forward players, we shouldnt be struggling as much as we have in the last three games. Defensively we have always had a question mark at centre back since the last minute departure of Diawarra. McCarthy hasnt looked the part, Fortune was on his way to Stoke, so that says something about his net worth to the team, Wednesday fans warned us of Bougherra's defensive frailities, so who do we have.....we have had a crisis at right back which Danny Mills has answered admirably, and we now have one at left back, which hopefully Basey or Youga will fill adequately. Perhaps its time to blood Aswad Thomas, he couldnt really do any worse than Fortune/McCarthy/Bougherra. I think we are predictable when playing Reid...yes he is a good player, but I too think he shouldnt be the lynchpin around which we build a side. I like Alan Pardew, but of late I have to question his tactical ability....I really dont think he knows who would be in his best side. I think too much was expected of the likes of McLeod/Varney and Iwelumo...the latter is the only proven player in this division, and the other two had to be a calculated gamble at best. So expectations have been running high and after a reasonable start we have now been found wanting....Id rather this happen now than in the run in. I think that Pardew's honeymoon period is now over, and he has to dig deep to get the best out of what is undoubtedly a talented bunch of players.....he now has to craft them into a team.
  • He hasnt played well in the last 3 games but he has played a lot of football lately and possibly with an injury.

The problem with Reid at the moment is that he isnt getting the ball where he can be most effective.

I would give him almost a free role in a 3 man central midfield. That way he can drift about where he pleases and do some damage.
  • Again you are adjusting the formation to fit Reid in. He is not that good to move from the 4 4 2 which will be most effective! we need two strikers as one of those available is not good enough!

the problem is i thought varney was a goalscorere but he is more of a channl runner.... a poor mans Gary Nelson?
  • edited October 2007
    Channel Runner? Channel swimmer - more like.

But we're judging him on how he plays to orders within the constrictions of our tactical formations.

Maybe he would like to play his own more natural game.
    Anyone know the positions & tactics when he played for Crewe?
  • It's a bit harsh to lay so much blame at Reid's door. It's the one-dimensional aspect of our play that makes it so easy for the opposition to cancel us out. If they stick tight to Reid, or even if he's having a bit of an off day, we should have other options - ZZ? Wingers? Overlapping full backs? Strikers dropping deeper to collect? There's too much expected of Reid in too little space. It reminds me of a couple of seasons ago when Murphy (spit), Kish and Smerts were bossing things and we played fabulous football. Then opponents cottoned on to how we played, got tighter on Murphy, and that was the end of that.
  • Fair comment Weegie. We do look very one dimensional and there really is a total lack of movement off the ball, everyone just stands there waiting for a pass rather than moving into space to make the pass easier.

In respect of Reid and ZZ the problem is pretty straight forward. You can't play both of them in a 4-4-2. Reid is not a winger and Thomas is always going to offer us more on the left wing.

To be effective Reid has to play in the middle, so does ZZ however we can't play without Semedo to do the dirty work as we get overun.

We either switch to 4-5-1/4-3-3 or drop one of either Reid or ZZ.
  • Sponsored links:

• We actually played 3-5-2 in the first half and still managed to just punt the long ball. Semedo's substitution was a big mistake, and I'll stick by my guns and say that Id rather see ZZ playing just behind Iwelumo, with Reid in the middle with Racon on the right side of midfield and Sam on the left.
  • i didnt see it as 3 5 2 in first half? who did you think were the three at the back and which full back was up in midfield?
  • [cite]Posted By: Eltham_addick[/cite]I think just digging out Reid is a bit much....I suspect he's carrying a bit of a knock but still appears to try harder than any of the others out there

I think you are confusing trying harder with flapping his arms and moaning at the officials when a decision goes against us, or doing the same when one of the team doesn't do exactly what he wants them to. that said he is talented and a very good passer of the ball but I wouldn't say he tries harder than the rest of the team.
  • Mills was playing in Midfield in the first half, Basey Sodje and Fortune were playing a back three
  • Away from home, we should perhaps drop a striker to accomodate both Thomas and Sam who are better than any of them, and play Reid in an advanced position / free role.
  • Must say I'm absolutely miffed with Pardew at the moment - the blame for a lot of our defending has to lay at his door. It's the most basic of stuff, defending a set piece none of our players seem to know what they're supposed to be doing. It's the kind of thing schoolboys are getting right in parks on Sunday mornings yet our lot are all over the show, Pardew's had all season to get them back to basics and sort them out on this one yet if anything it's getting worse.

I was watching Hansen pull apart the Derby defending on MOTD2 last night and cringed at the thought of him anlaysing ours!

As well as that we seemed to lose all shape going forward on Saturday as well. The confidence has drained right out of the side - as evidenced on a couple of occasions when Weaver was greeted with the sight of ten players' backs to throw the ball to. It's Pardew's job to put that right too. I also fully agree that the substition was a big mistake. Pardew had a stinker on Saturday. The players were poor but I think he was worse.

I still think he'll come good - it's not the first time he's been in this situation and he prospered last time but he needs to up his game as much as the players do.
  • I was tongue in cheek on another thread when I suggested playing Danny Mills in centre mid.

But the more I think about it though, we need someone with the power, physical strength and character to destroy opponents moves and go on marauding runs - and maybe a bit of intimidation and nastiness too.
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]I was tongue in cheek on another thread when I suggested playing Danny Mills in centre mid.

But the more I think about it though, we need someone with the power, physical strength and character to destroy opponents moves and go on marauding runs - and maybe a bit of intimidation and nastiness too.

But Oggy, that just swaps one problem for another - who do we play at right back? Moo2 looks the part - until it comes to actually defending!
  • Great post PassittoLeaburn. Spot on mate, constructive criticism is always welcome in my opinion, and I think you hit the nail on the head. Oggy, your tongue in cheek comment was duly noted mate, but actually wouldnt be a bad move....if you could rope him to the middle, which aint gonna happen really is it mate? I think Moo2 is young enough to learn to defend as well as attack, and if he had adequate cover on the right of midfield would lessen the exposure....
  • Sure, Weegie - but if we can keep opponents from penetrating ou centre mid & protecting our back 4 that'll be something!
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Sure, Weegie - but if we can keep opponents from penetrating ou centre mid & protecting our back 4 that'll be something!

Semedo actually manages that quite well when Pardew deigns to leave him on the pitch!
  • Not defendeing the decision but be fair, who was it who has played Semedo in that position all season?!
  • [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]Not defendeing the decision but be fair, who was it who has played Semedo in that position all season?!

Why the F change it then???
  • [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]Not defendeing the decision but be fair, who was it who has played Semedo in that position all season?!

Why the F change it then???

I didn't agree with the decision but I can see why he did it.

Thomas is (theoretically) a matchwinner so he wanted to increase our attacking options and get Reid more central.

He underestimated the effectiveness and physical robustness of their midfield compared to ours though.

Don't worry Pards says our "man of steel" Matt Holland will be back soon!
  • If Holland's going to come back and play the way he did at the end of last season then I'd have him straight back in the side - if he's going to play the way he did for the three years prior to that then he can stay on his farm tending horses.
  • Ah, Len - you said Pards ".... underestimated the effectiveness and physical robustness of their midfield compared to ours though."

But that's exactly what the Charlton midfield is lacking.

Effectiveness and physical robustness. That's why we've dropped so many points and can't 'defend our defence.
  • [cite]Posted By: Tel-in-Oz[/cite]We actually played 3-5-2 in the first half

I must have missed that.