Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Fergie offered the England job twice.

He turned them down on both occasions.

From his book.

Comments

• Doesn't surprise me to be honest.
  • good manager that Fregie
  • anyone know if cloughie was ever offered the england job? I know he said he'd only ever do it if he could do it his way...
  • What about the Scotland job?
  • DRF said:

What about the Scotland job?

He was Scotland manager

anyone know if cloughie was ever offered the england job? I know he said he'd only ever do it if he could do it his way...

never offered it
  • Only on a temporary basis after the death of Jock. Was always clear he'd not take the job.
  • edited October 2013

anyone know if cloughie was ever offered the england job? I know he said he'd only ever do it if he could do it his way...

@kentaddick Not that I'm aware, the FA have always favoured a yes man / safe pair of hands and would have been frightened to death of his style and one of his off the wall comments bringing trouble to their door.
  • Great manager but having a Scottish manager is like selling your soul to the Devil.
  • He would have just picked a load of fatsos from the conference. Like any scot would

• I can't imagine any Scot would take the England job.
  • Sponsored links:

Gordon Smart would take it (allegedly).

Terry Butcher was Scotland assistant manager
  • Carter said:

He would have just picked a load of fatsos from the conference. Like any scot would

Indeed, and he would've booed the national anthem.
  • Do we know when he was offered it?
  • Do we know when he was offered it?

The Football Association has been among them and he claims they twice offered him the England manager's job - before Kevin Keegan was appointed in 1999 and again before Sven-Goran Eriksson took charge in 2001.
  • A great Manager, but for me highly dislikeable. David Beckham is an icon, and legend IN WORLD FOOTBALL. For Ferguson to prattle on about him not being that at Man Utd is nonsense.
  • He's a winner though with high standards and extremely competitive

A lot of people like that are dislikable

• How can he think Beckham didn't achieve the same footballing status as Scholes or Giggs ? Knob.

Did you see the state of him as well !
  • PL54 said:

How can he think Beckham didn't achieve the same footballing status as Scholes or Giggs ? Knob.

Maybe he meant at Utd?
  • Not really a surprise that a manager might hold a grunge against a top player that left him...
  • Sponsored links:

• se9addick said:

I can't imagine any Scot would take the England job.

Terry Butcher was Scotland assistant manager
    And John Gorman was Hoddle's Assistant Manager for England.
  • PL54 said:

How can he think Beckham didn't achieve the same footballing status as Scholes or Giggs ? Knob.

I think Ronaldo achieved the same as Beckham at Man Utd, both are behind Scholes and Giggs who spent their whole careers there. Giggs has played there for over 20 years at the highest level. They'll probably end up building a statue of him.

Bit strange making fun of the state of a man in his 70s.
  • Not really a surprise that a manager might hold a grunge against a top player that left him...

Someone tried to hold me up against Eddie Vedder once. I wasn't having it.
  • Granpa said:

A great Manager, but for me highly dislikeable. David Beckham is an icon, and legend IN WORLD FOOTBALL. For Ferguson to prattle on about him not being that at Man Utd is nonsense.

At a time when there is much debate about what "goes on in the dressing room stays in the dressing", Fergies book blows that out of the water. From a fans perspective its gripping stuff and I wish Curbs book had been more interesting and enlightening, but from a players perspective, as Keane has said it is a betrayal.

It will be interesting to see how Becks reacts, he has always held his dignity by keeping his own counsel, even against the implied criticism of his wife.
  • Ferguson's treatment of all his players who were focussed on only playing football was a benchmark. If you wandered outside of that you were treading dangerouss ground. Did his way work? Yes, obviously. Ferguson wasn't telling us anything we didn't know already about Beckham, Keane, Bosnich.....whether he should have put it in a book or not is up to him. I am sure thre are much juicier stories that will stay 'in the dressing room'
  • Having read quite a few sporting autobiographies I find it quite refreshing that Sir Alex is being so candid. Many of these books are boring and full of clichés. It certainly puts 'Arrys collection of proven lies and rehashed drivel in the shade.

All this "things should be left in the dressing room" is crap! Professional football is part of the world of entertainment and we want to know all the juicy stuff.

I shall be buying the book tomorrow and taking it on holiday next week.

• " Bit strange making fun of the state of a man in his 70s. "

Couldn't agree more, hic !
  • Riviera said:

Having read quite a few sporting autobiographies I find it quite refreshing that Sir Alex is being so candid. Many of these books are boring and full of clichés. It certainly puts 'Arrys collection of proven lies and rehashed drivel in the shade.

All this "things should be left in the dressing room" is crap! Professional football is part of the world of entertainment and we want to know all the juicy stuff.

I shall be buying the book tomorrow and taking it on holiday next week.

Agreed, I'll be getting this but wouldn't wipe my arse with 'Arry's.
  • Granpa said:

A great Manager, but for me highly dislikeable. David Beckham is an icon, and legend IN WORLD FOOTBALL. For Ferguson to prattle on about him not being that at Man Utd is nonsense.

Beckham was/is an icon yes, but it's more to do with the way he marketed himself rather than being the best in the world like C Ronaldo or Messi. I think that's what Fergie is getting at and I completely understand his treatment.
  • edited October 2013
    Kap10 said:

Granpa said:

At a time when there is much debate about what "goes on in the dressing room stays in the dressing", Fergies book blows that out of the water. From a fans perspective its gripping stuff and I wish Curbs book had been more interesting and enlightening, but from a players perspective, as Keane has said it is a betrayal.

It will be interesting to see how Becks reacts, he has always held his dignity by keeping his own counsel, even against the implied criticism of his wife.
    Keane is a hypocrite, was happy enough to take the money for his own book and tell the Haaland story, earning himself a ban and so letting down his team.

I'll be buying it for my Dad (United fan) then borrowing it for a read myself once he's read it.