Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Help!I'm going to buy Curbs' autobiography

I wanted to buy Curbs' autobiography Valley of Dreams when it came out in 2006.But I was just a student then and without a credit card,buying things from the internet was simply impossible.In the recent few years I've come across some mediocre reviews and forgotten about the book.Then last week I noticed that Amazon offered free online preview so I read the first three chapters.Thought it was actually quite good and decided to buy the book.I discovered a new copy on ebay and placed my bid.Very glad to win it at starting price (£0.99,no one else bid) but was told today by the seller that he/she couldn't send it to China.To be honest I was really surprised.I've received parcels from England many times but never thought it was difficult for people in England to send small items abroad?

Anyways,two options left for me now:1.persuade the seller to send the book to me;2.buy a used copy from ebay or Amazon UK marketplace (it's currently unavailable on Amazon).I think #1 is unlikely to happen but I've never bought used books online and having read some terrible feedback on ebay and Amazon,I'm really not sure if that's a good idea.Has anyone here bought books from those online second-hand book shops?Or does anyone have a better suggestion?Thanks in advance.

Comments

• You could always arrange for a courier to pick it up. Doubt they would object to that.
  • Wait till the revised edition comes out which will include Champions League success managing Crystal Palace :-)
  • The Curbs autobiography is poor. I've never heard anyone say they thought it was good. There wasn't much in there, that we didn't already know. However, you may find it more enlightening.

I've bought plenty of 2nd hand books on Amazon & had no problems at all. (I don't live in China ;-)
  • I have sent you a message Jessie.
  • One of the most boring books I have read - and only just about readable because I am a Charlton fan. If you won the book for 99p, I doubt the vendor is going to bust a gut to send it to China - but they are probably doing you a favour. Lennie Lawrence book also not much kop - Keith Peacock's is teh best of the three IMO.
  • Ask the seller to send to a UK friend or relative of yours and then get them to send it on?
  • I'll read it to you if you like
  • How much is postage to China? If less than a tenner, I'll post mine, I wouldn't miss it.
  • Jessie, I think you will find that the problem is the price of sending a fairly heavy book to China. However, I have the book in good condition, and if you email me your full address on tony@carcare.co.uk, I will send it to you in memory of my late son whose anniversary is this month. Friendship cannot be valued.
  • Get the seller to send it to a friends address in the UK, and then get your pal to do the next part.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2013
    Just an aside, but my mate's an Arsenal fan and had read Gary Nelson's auto.b. He said it was a brilliant read. Anyone else read it (GN's book) and is it any good?
  • Jayajosh said:

Just an aside, but my mate's an Arsenal fan and had read Gary Nelson's auto.b. He said it was a brilliant read. Anyone else read it (GN's book) and is it any good?

Yes, both books well worth reading. They aren't shakespeare exactly, but there's a lot of every day, behind-the-scenes stuff in both that's really interesting

• "Left foot forward " by Gary a Nelson is a lot better read than Curbs autobio.
  • IdleHans said:

Jayajosh said:

Yes, both books well worth reading. They aren't shakespeare exactly, but there's a lot of every day, behind-the-scenes stuff in both that's really interesting

Agreed, as would everyone else.
  • "Left foot forward " by Gary a Nelson is a lot better read than Curbs autobio.

A shopping list by Gary Nelson would be a lot better read than Curbs autobio.

Both Nelson books are very interesting and in nice easy style.

• I understand what you guys are saying, but I think you will find that to a young lady growing up so far away in China, that book will be a highly valued possession. The fact that it is Curbs will be vital to her.

Janet and John is lot better read too.

For no good reason I ended up with 3 copies of that - one signed

• edited November 2013
    Thanks very much everyone.I know it's a boring book to quite many Charlton fans.That's why I don't really want to pay over £50 for a new copy on Amazon marketplace.Over the years I get my knowledge of the history of the club from the internet so what I know is limited.The book I suppose will provide a lot of information that I find interesting...And like Granpa said,Curbs is a big hero of mine so I'll always put his autobiography before any other Charlton book on my wishlist.

Must say huge huge thanks to ShootersHillGuru,AddickUpNorth and Granpa.I'm truly grateful.I'll try to decide which offer to take and sort out the payment method as soon as I can.

Again,thanks everyone.I'm really touched!
  • Jessie..

If you decide to take one of the books offered on here by Lifers, why not get Curbs to sign/dedicate it for you to make it extra special ?

I am happy to take it to the BBTV dinner for you, get it signed and arrange how to send it on .
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2013

Jessie..

If you decide to take one of the books offered on here by Lifers, why not get Curbs to sign/dedicate it for you to make it extra special ?

I am happy to take it to the BBTV dinner for you, get it signed and arrange how to send it on .

Oh my God...........That can actually happen?I don't think I'll be able to fall asleep tonight......Thank you so much.When will the dinner take place?
  • How nice are some of you people, its what makes this site what it is.

I hope you are reading John Lawson!
  • Jessie..

Oh my God...........That can actually happen?I don't think I'll be able to fall asleep tonight......Thank you so much.When will the dinner take place?
    It's on Sunday 1st Dec, Jessie.

Just sort it out with SHG, AUN or Granpa and if none of those are attending the dinner, we'll sort how to get the book to me and then I'll get it back to them after for forwarding on to you.

• How nice are some of you people, its what makes this site what it is.

Yes,this can never ever ever happen on any other club's online community.I really can't thank all of the nice people on here enough.
  • Jessie..

It's on Sunday 1st Dec, Jessie.

Just sort it out with SHG, AUN or Granpa and if none of those are attending the dinner, we'll sort how to get the book to me and then I'll get it back to them after for forwarding on to you.

That's so nice of you.Not sure if that'll be too much trouble for you,ShootersHillGuru,AddickUpNorth or Granpa.Hopefully I don't look like I'm asking too much.I'm so grateful and words simply fail me now.IF,if all that comes true,it will be like the greatest Christmas present I've ever had and a memory that lasts for ever.....
  • edited November 2013
    Left foot forward is a great book and is only slightly bettered by left foot in the grave- which largely focuses on Nelson's stint as Torquay manager. John Gittens is th estar or that book! If anybody hasen't read them - I envy the treat you have in store when you do.
  • Anyway .. I for one enjoyed it .. in English not mandarin
  • My offer is there Jessie if you want to take it up. Don't worry about payment, I'll quite happily send it to you as a gift. Anything for a fellow Addick overseas.
  • edited November 2013
    Nelse's books are great, a definite must read. I'll try and find them when back at my folks and happy to send them on to a fellow Addick.
  • Loved reading Nelson's book Left Foot Forward (not tried his second one) but its a great insight into a Footballer outside the Premier League in the early 90s

Really want to see it brought out as an ebook I wont lie