Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Old team photos of Alan Sanford, Dickie Guy, Terry Nelson & others ....

I saw these names mentioned in old discussions and as I was team mates with them, I thought I'd upload these old team photos.

The first team is UGB Pantiles from the 63/64 season of the (I think) South East London Minors League, ie under 18 colt football. Big Al was a funny lad as I remember but I didn't know him socially, only through playing for UGB (I say playing but I was normally first reserve, only playing about three or four times, but was there for the team shot!). Big Al is third from right, back row, next to the keeper; also in the team is Peter Kinsey (2nd from right, front row) and Bobby Levett, on Alan's left. Geordie was the manager (1st left back row), and Dick the physio, (extreme right back row). I can't remember any of the other names.

The second team is Beaumont from I guess the 66/67 season of the Metropolitan Sunday League. Dickie would have been about 18 here; he was a lovely, modest bloke and funny too and of course a great keeper, even at this age. Terry is on the extreme right, back row; Terry and I went back to primary school age and we were best mates during our teens and twenties. Sadly, Terry died back around 2005 at the age of 57. Beaumont was formed mainly of players from Millwall Colts; Dickie moved on the next season signing semi-pro for Wimbledon.

The third team is Woolwich Town from the 70/71 season, again of the Metropolitan Sunday League. I'd like to mention Larry Tait here who I think was an ex-Charlton apprentice; Larry was the hardest footballer I played with or against, but not dirty. He rarely ever used the slide tackle but would block tackle opponents to keep possession of the ball. I remember once when we played Greenwich Borough at the Rectory Field; they had Peter and Billy Kinsey in their team at that time. Billy was a hard man too and I recall a 50/50 tackle between Larry and Billy that resulted in a sickening crack noise. Larry walked away from the tackle but poor Billy was left on the ground with a broken leg. The last I heard of Larry was in 1971 when he said he and his girlfriend were moving to South Africa.

Comments

• Good memories woodhill , Alan Sanford played for Charlton manor & terrorised opposition keepers he seemed to be twice as big as as any other kid . I played in the same Fossedene team with the youngest Kinsey he was a bit of a hero at school due to Brian being a Charlton player . In the Woolwich photo was Greatorex the same player who played senior amateur football with Erith & Belvedere ?

• Did much football take place at Rectory Field?? Never knew that, thought it was just cricket and rugby.
  • I was at that match at the Rectory Field and both saw and heard the tackle that did for Billy Kinsey. My uncle Nobby Foster played for Greenwich Borough (previously Woolwich Borough) and also Eltham Hill on sundays back in those days.
  • Hello Foss and well spotted. Yes that's the Brendan who played for the Deres. We had some good players in that Town team and that season did the double, winning the Premier league without losing a game and also won the Bart Bowl.
  • Hello Falcon; I only remember Greenwich Borough using the ground, even in my dad's days when he played for Anchor Athletic.
  • Hello Davo; thanks for backing up my memory (as an OAP now you sometimes looses it!). I find it amazing that you were actually there that Sunday morning.
  • still see Dickie every now and then, his brother lives next door to my old man, he also comes into the shop occasionally, he is President of AFC WIMBLEDON and gave us a nice intro leading to a order of silk ties. Remember going to see him play a lot as a kid at both Wimbledon v Middlesborough in the FA Cup, remember watching the next day again on THE BIG MATCH, also saw a lot of his games at MAIDSTONE. Lovely bloke who follows AFC WIMBLEDON all over the country.
  • Hello Davo; thanks for backing up my memory (as an OAP now you sometimes looses it!). I find it amazing that you were actually there that Sunday morning.

Maybe even more amazing is that my dad used to play for Anchor Athletic too, post war. Small world, eh?
  • Hello Davo, what was your dad's name (if you don't mind my asking?) When my dad was playing for Anchor he used to take me and my big brother with him, but I was quite young at the time. I have an old team photo of Anchor and maybe your dad is in it? My dad is in the photo but not as a player as he was still semi-pro then and playing for Gravesend & Northfleet. However his brother, my uncle Gordon, is in it as a player. There are also three of my dad's other brothers in it but they must have been spectators.
  • Hello Davo, what was your dad's name (if you don't mind my asking?) When my dad was playing for Anchor he used to take me and my big brother with him, but I was quite young at the time. I have an old team photo of Anchor and maybe your dad is in it? My dad is in the photo but not as a player as he was still semi-pro then and playing for Gravesend & Northfleet. However his brother, my uncle Gordon, is in it as a player. There are also three of my dad's other brothers in it but they must have been spectators.

Hi Woodhill - sorry, have been out all day and just seen this. My dad's name was Ron Davis. He was born in 1924 and he played for Anchor Athletic in (I believe, but am not sure) the immediate post war years. He was called up for the army in 1942 when he was 18 and was overseas until 1946, then got married in 1951, so that seems to be the most likely period. In fact he was one of 7 brothers, 6 of whom reached adulthood, and it may well be that some of them played in the same team as him. The brothers were Wally, Jack, Frank, Reg, Ron (my dad) and Norman. Reg was supposed to be pretty good and legend has it that he played for Charlton Reserves at some point.

It's a real Charlton family. They lived in Floyd Road, dad went to Pound Park school, later my grandparents (his parents) lived in Valley Grove. Hardly surprising that I was infected with the Addicks virus from a very young age! :-)

• Sponsored links:

• Hello Davo; I've spoken to my uncles and one of them remembers your dad's name and thinks he played inside forward for the Anchor. As promised, here's the team photo and I hope your dad is in it.
  • Hi Woodhill - that's brilliant, although my dad isn't actually in that photo. My uncle Frank is though (front row with ball) - maybe dad just couldn't make it that day. Great to see and thanks very much for posting.
  • Hello Davo; glad you liked it but a shame your dad wasn't there. My dad is 1st left, back row; next to him is my Uncle Charlie; 5th right in the back row is my Uncle Les (he's the one that remembered your dad); 1st right middle row is my Uncle Teddy; 4th right middle row is goalkeeper Alan Waites; 4th left front row is Bobby Nelson; 5th left front row is my Uncle Gordon.
    Whenever I smell White Horse liniment my mind takes me back to the changing room of Anchor Athletic!
    By the way, was your Uncle Frank a Davis?
  • Hello Davo; glad you liked it but a shame your dad wasn't there. My dad is 1st left, back row; next to him is my Uncle Charlie; 5th right in the back row is my Uncle Les (he's the one that remembered your dad); 1st right middle row is my Uncle Teddy; 4th right middle row is goalkeeper Alan Waites; 4th left front row is Bobby Nelson; 5th left front row is my Uncle Gordon.
    Whenever I smell White Horse liniment my mind takes me back to the changing room of Anchor Athletic!
    By the way, was your Uncle Frank a Davis?

Yes mate. Sadly, my dad and all his brothers have now passed away. Nice to know that Anchor Athletic used to include 2 sets of brothers.
  • Thank you for the pic of UGB Pantiles, I have not seen this since it was taken. I am at the back on the left next to Geordie. I was with them for about 2 years after being released by CAFC youth, where I played with Keith Peacock, Billie Bonds and Ray Harford (RIP). The pic is small but I believe the White brothers Robert and Brian are in the front row.
  • Hello Ross; I remember your face and think you played in defence. I'm sitting right in front of you and as I mentioned in the article, I was normally reserve, not a regular, and on the few occasions I did play, I played right wing. After leaving UGB, I joined Greenwich Town Athletic Colts and converted to right back, a much better position for me as it worked out. You're right about the White brothers; what ever happened to them as they were good players? From your CAFC days, did you know Larry Tait and Dave Burke?
  • Hello Ross; I remember your face and think you played in defence. I'm sitting right in front of you and as I mentioned in the article, I was normally reserve, not a regular, and on the few occasions I did play, I played right wing. After leaving UGB, I joined Greenwich Town Athletic Colts and converted to right back, a much better position for me as it worked out. You're right about the White brothers; what ever happened to them as they were good players? From your CAFC days, did you know Larry Tait and Dave Burke?

Did the white brothers come from the cherry orchard estate ? I can remember mousey white he played in the same charlton manor team as my cousin Peter oliver ( a former Charlton colt ). Other names that seem to jog the memory from these times are the two Ray Hutchins (uncle & nephew ) micky ackland & a fellow called germain . Looking at those great photos you can always spot players wearing odd socks this is because in them days most teams only supplied the shirts, the shors & socks were the responsibility of the individual players.

e great photos
  • I remember the two Ray Hutchins, both excellent footballers. Nephew Ray was in the year above me at Woodhill and was in the same team as Jimmy McGrory and Alec Fowler, both good footballers too. I think the "Rays" played for Cray Wanderers on a Saturday and Valley Celtic on a Sunday afternoon. Jimmy Mac and Alec went on to play for a very strong Plum Lane team and here's a photo of the team (my brother Alan is 1st left, back row, next to John Claydon, another fine footballer).
  • Sorry, memory lapse there; Jimmy Mac didn't play for Plum Lane but did play for Mayfield. John Claydon was captain of our Woodhill team and represented Woolwich schoolboys.
  • Answering three questions: yes i was a defender, normally right back. No neither of those names mean anything to me. Yes the White brothers did come from Cherry Orchard, I was in the same class as Bob, Brian was younger. No idea what happened to them.
  • Sponsored links:

• I remember the two Ray Hutchins, both excellent footballers. Nephew Ray was in the year above me at Woodhill and was in the same team as Jimmy McGrory and Alec Fowler, both good footballers too. I think the "Rays" played for Cray Wanderers on a Saturday and Valley Celtic on a Sunday afternoon. Jimmy Mac and Alec went on to play for a very strong Plum Lane team and here's a photo of the team (my brother Alan is 1st left, back row, next to John Claydon, another fine footballer).

Woodhill you have bought back memories of great sunday afternoons in Charlton park watching Valley celtic. Names that jog the memory are Patsy Meagan, Terry Carter , Richie Powell, Ted Saunders and Gerry Germain .There was also I think an older player who played on the wing called Ernie (not a milkman ) .
  • Terrific players, Alec Fowler and Jugsy Claydon. I played in the Plum Lane team that won the Kent Amateur League Premier Division.......some time in the early 70s. Jimmy Ellis was the 'keeper, and I remember Dave Palmer, Johnny O'Brien and Bugsy Butterfill. They also went on to play for a very good Rpchester Wy Social Club team on Sundays. To my knowledge Larry Tait stayed in SE London, but not sure where he is now. I played with him for the Greenwich Borough team, along with Luciano Masiello.
  • Hello M_A_T, I also played in the Kent Amateur League in the Senior Section for BOCM; this was in the mid to late 60's. We didn't do well in the League but did manage to win the League Cup, beating Thames Lightermen, BICC, Kent Police and in the final Dockland Settlement. Seeing we came fourth from bottom in the league, this was some achievement for us.
  • New to the forum but have read with interest the comments regarding Kent football teams. I am wondering if anyone has photos of any of the teams mentioned which I could include in a book I'm researching for on the history of Kent football.
  • Plum Lane used to train in Shrewsbury Park in the early sixties and let the youngsters play sometimes.

The name Jimmy Ellis rings a definite bell from that time.
  • what a cracking thread.
  • Plum Lane: Jimmy Ellis in goal, Jugsy Clayden, Alec Fowler, Dave Palmer, Johnny O'Brien, John Butterfill,, yours truly - we won the KAL in around 1971.......terrific side. We trained in a school hall. Most of the above also played for Rochester Way Social in the Combined SEL and won everything
  • What is the history of Plum Lane up to joining the Kent Amateur League?
  • edited July 2014

What is the history of Plum Lane up to joining the Kent Amateur League?

I post this tentatively as I was very young and I am talking 50 years ago and more so details may not be 100% accurate. Please don't hang me for it if they are not!

However I have memories of a group of lads who both trained and played matches on a Sunday in Shrewsbury Park with proper goals and kit so presumably in some sort of official league as there were a few spectators. They told us they were Plum Lane football club.

As a very small boy I and a few mates virtually lived in Shrewsbury Park playing football or cricket dependent on the seasons. The Plum Lane lads would sometimes let us join in with small sided matches which they would play either after or as part of their training. "Jimmy" (? Jimmy Ellis) was the keeper and the most chatty. We used to watch them play and chat to him in his goal on a Sunday in Shrewsbury Park when play was down the other end. Another player I remember had greying hair even though my Dad, who would occasionally come and watch on a Sunday too if we were there playing, said he would only be in his twenties and was prematurely grey.

After a while they told us they were joining the Kent Amateur League and would be playing on Saturdays in future and we didn't see them after that. I'd take a guess this would have been 1965 or 1966.

That's what I can remember about Plum Lane perhaps Man About Town can add more.

On reflection we must have been a pain in the nether regions always pestering to be allowed to join in!

• I believe they joined the KAL in 1967 and immediately won their division.