Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Contracting & Umbrella companies

Some advice please guys & girls...

I'm possibly about to head off into the big wide world of contracting for the first time (after 17 years as a perm!) and would appreciate some advice re. umbrella companies:
- Who uses them & who doesn't?
- Pros & Cons
- Companies you'd recommend/avoid with a barge pole

I previously worked back-office IT for a group of recruitment firms, so know what they are & pretty much how they work, but am 3-4 years out of date with who is any good.

Any & all advice gratefully received.
Thanks.

Comments

• When I worked at Adecco... Giant Professional Ltd were the main Umbrella Company we associated ourselves with... Parasol Ltd were the popular choice
  • When I worked at Adecco... Giant Professional Ltd were the main Umbrella Company we associated ourselves with... Parasol Ltd were the popular choice

I found their service to be a bit up and down to be honest.
  • I work for a recruitment company in the City, as FA mentioned above Giant is the main umbrella company for contractors and I must say we have never had any problems with them as a recruitment company. Our contractors feedback tends to mirror that.
  • Thanks Andy & FA - the majority of people went through Giant & Parasol when I worked in the industry, but remember Giant losing "preferred supplier" status to Parasol during that time. So, as I say, my knowledge is a few years out of date.
  • I currently contract through Giant and have never had any problems with them

After meeting them at there offices, they fully opened up to me. Had nothing but bad luck since.
  • edited January 2014

When I worked at Adecco... Giant Professional Ltd were the main Umbrella Company we associated ourselves with... Parasol Ltd were the popular choice

Dont work with these guys they'll fleece you. I work with someone else and they'll save you £200p/w+ over the likes of Parasol.

If anyone wants their details then PM me and I'll ask them to get in touch