Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ideas for quiz rounds?

Looking for some help from the bright and fun loving folk out there...

I do a quiz twice a week in my mates pub, previously I did the same in our place, but having clocked up 200, 50 question quizzes, I'm running out of ideas for themed rounds and picture rounds.

The format is normally the same, more or less - each round is 10 questions, first round a theme, such as ten questions where the answer has a fruit in it eg - What is the name of Liverpool's main railway station, or What is the nickname of AFC Bournemouth. Or ten where all the questions are about people called George, you get the picture. Round three is On This Day, which is fairly easy to do with a little help from Wiki and round five is pot luck, where questions can be on anything. Rounds 2 and 3 are generally pictures of some sort, often celebrities in one and flags of the world in the other, but I have used car logos, road signs, foods of the world, famous artists etc.

It's ideas for round one and for pictures I am after, if anyone has any bright ideas. Please bear in mind in the themed round it has to be something where I can glean ten reasonable questions from the subject in hand.

They can't be too intellectual or too easy (it is quite difficult getting the balance right) as befitting a holiday resort, the crowd varies from Gumby's to rocket scientists.

And if anyone wants to use any of my quizzes for their pub/club please feel free to PM me with your e-mail address and I am happy to share a few.

Comments

• Email me P and I'll send some of my quizzes over in exchange for yours.

One thing that works but is hard to do is where the last letter of the first answer gives the first letter of the 2nd answer and so on. The questions can be anything you like but if you have that one right then you have a big clue to the next.
  • I did a quiz not that long ago. One round was stills from music videos. All they got was one image and had to name the song and band etc. Another round was the usual intro round from music. Play 5 seconds sort of thing. Also a covers round where you played part of a song and had to name the song and the original artist.
  • Thats incorrect, mr Spock was half vulcan, half human

I had ta go home...to get a book, to prove it
  • Pictures of aging celebs with the same question for all - are they dead, or still alive?
  • Transfermarkt round: given a list of professional footballers, can you guess their value on the website transfermarkt.com?
  • blank maps are good picture rounds. name the countries
  • edited July 2014
    Round 10: The 90s years
    All these events took place in a different year during the 1990s (1990 to 1999)
    You just need to say which

1. The Channel Tunnel opens

2. Princess Diana dies in Paris

3. The Summer Olympics are held in Atlanta, Georgia

4. Nelson Mandela is released from Jail

5. John Major Leads the conservatives to a general Election
    victory over Neil Kinnock’s Labour Party

6. Blur beat Oasis in the battle of the bands when Country House reaches number 1 in the charts ahead of Roll with it

7. The Good Friday Agreement for peace in Northern Ireland is signed

8. Freddie Mercury and Robert Maxwell die

9. The Grand National is cancelled after a false start

10 Britney Spears hits number 1 with Baby, One more time

No goggling

• Since they're on holiday, pictures could be of random places with a "name the country" theme; some obvious, some more obscure. Maybe award the closest if some are too difficult. I might even be able to supply you with some pictures!
  • Top ten round. Find ten top tens eg longest serving prime minister, leading England goalscorers etc and remove one name from each list. Contestants have to fill in the gaps in each list.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2014
    Great British lovers
    Dead or alive
    Prisoner or model citizen
  • Could do a which year round where you list 3 events that happened in a particular year

Stanley Matthews Last top flight game / Bob Bylan goes electric at newport folk festival / Post Office Tower opens (1965)

10 Best selling singles of 70's, 80's, 90's...

32 nicknames of NFL teams

anagram round - famous people, capital cities, countries

which clubs have averaged over 40k attendance in a season

County towns (best to avoid Derbyshire et al)

American state capitals.

Last 10 Prime Ministers / Labour Leaders / Tory Leaders

Pictures of football stadia

Phobias - Pogonophobia, fear of beards

Currencies

dying words

famous quotes

Best film oscars

general knowledge questions where the answers are all olympic host cities but the question does not relate to olympics.
  • Round 10: The 90s years

1. The Channel Tunnel opens 94

2. Princess Diana dies in Paris 97

3. The Summer Olympics are held in Atlanta, Georgia 96

4. Nelson Mandela is released from Jail 90

victory over Neil Kinnock’s Labour Party 92

6. Blur beat Oasis in the battle of the bands when Country House reaches number 1 in the charts ahead of Roll with it 95

7. The Good Friday Agreement for peace in Northern Ireland is signed 97

8. Freddie Mercury and Robert Maxwell die 91

9. The Grand National is cancelled after a false start 93

No goggling - Top of me 'ead.

• Round 10: The 90s years

1. The Channel Tunnel opens 94

2. Princess Diana dies in Paris 97

3. The Summer Olympics are held in Atlanta, Georgia 96

4. Nelson Mandela is released from Jail 90

victory over Neil Kinnock’s Labour Party 92

6. Blur beat Oasis in the battle of the bands when Country House reaches number 1 in the charts ahead of Roll with it 95

7. The Good Friday Agreement for peace in Northern Ireland is signed 97

8. Freddie Mercury and Robert Maxwell die 91

9. The Grand National is cancelled after a false start 93

No goggling - Top of me 'ead.

Close but one wrong.

And you used 97 twice ; )
  • Where is the annual worlds ugliest dog competition held?

Funny and interesting question. Held in U.S, California
  • The smartphone has ruined pub quizzes. It's almost impossible to enforce a ban on googling, most pubs don't bother and instead of being able to have a good guess, it's now become an arms race between who has the best phone/connection to get as many answers, plus some negotiation over which questions you should leave blank or guess wrongly on just so the quizmaster doesn't eject you for cheating.

I had to run a pub quiz last year and at the forefront of my mind was coming up with rounds/questions that would be difficult to cheat on. Picture, dingbats and guess the song rounds are good. I also did a local geography round where the answers were not easily found on Google. My tip is google a question you want to ask in the quiz, if you can find the answer in less than a minute then you need to take it out.
  • A true or false round is quite good fun. It gives you the chance to make up some humorous scenarios. You obviously need to find some seemingly implausible things which are true but googling can solve that.

Similar to Henry's idea, you can have a round where every answer is a certain letter as, say, the third letter

A 'Play Your Cards Right' style round where you have to say whether each answer is higher/lower than the previous answer or before/after the date of the previous answer.

Not an idea for themes, but a round where contestants can choose whether score 1pt or 2pts for each answer but they lose 1pt or 2pts if they are wrong.

• IdleHans said:

Pictures of aging celebs with the same question for all - have they been arrested under operation yewtree?

corrected for you
  • Understandably a lot of the ideas I have already used, but quite a few I have not so thank you very much for your suggestions folks, and keep 'em coming if you do have any more, I am most grateful.
  • This best pub quiz I've ever been to had a brilliant final round, the "musical observation" round. We all watched the video of Lionel Richie's infamous song Hello, everyone was taking down notes...the colour of the clothes people were wearing, the number of people on screen at any one time, what he's saying when he looks straight into the camera.

At the end of the video everyone sat there ready for the questions but instead we were presented with a block of clay and were told to recreate the clay bust that was made by Lionel's crush in the video. I can't recall how the points were distributed for the best ones but it was incredibly fun and absolutely hilarious.
  • Sponsored links:

• This best pub quiz I've ever been to had a brilliant final round, the "musical observation" round. We all watched the video of Lionel Richie's infamous song Hello, everyone was taking down notes...the colour of the clothes people were wearing, the number of people on screen at any one time, what he's saying when he looks straight into the camera.

At the end of the video everyone sat there ready for the questions but instead we were presented with a block of clay and were told to recreate the clay bust that was made by Lionel's crush in the video. I can't recall how the points were distributed for the best ones but it was incredibly fun and absolutely hilarious.

LOL - great idea, just a tad too complicated/messy for the place I do the quiz in... :-D
  • Scoring might be a bit complicated I suppose but what about a guess the person from the clue round.

Something like:

a Charlton player who

3pts worked in fruit and veg in Covent Garden

2pts played during the sixties

1pt the transfer fee received was a record for his position at the time
  • LenGlover said:

Scoring might be a bit complicated I suppose but what about a guess the person from the clue round.

Something like:

a Charlton player who

3pts worked in fruit and veg in Covent Garden

2pts played during the sixties

1pt the transfer fee received was a record for his position at the time

Again great idea, but as you say too complicated Len - these are people on holiday who have had a beer or two, they need to be questions I can read out, and that contestants can write a short answer to on an answer sheet, which is then swopped at the end for marking. Do appreciate your trouble in coming up with ideas though. Thanks. :-)
  • Dave2l said:

Thats incorrect, mr Spock was half vulcan, half human

No apology necessary, let's get on with the quiz
  • Venereal diseases. Works well as a picture round too.
  • Used to do one called the cricket round. 1 question with multiple answers, say name the countries in EU. Once you've got as many as you can, declare, point for each one - all correct, that number of points. One wrong, even you've more correct, no points, still gives everyone a chance at the end even if they are adrift.
  • Bagpuss said:

Venereal diseases. Works well as a picture round too.

That print out of a Blue Waffle will go down well...
  • Used to do one called the cricket round. 1 question with multiple answers, say name the countries in EU. Once you've got as many as you can, declare, point for each one - all correct, that number of points. One wrong, even you've more correct, no points, still gives everyone a chance at the end even if they are adrift.

Again great idea, too complicated for our little quiz mate.
  • tricky said:

Dave2l said:

Thats incorrect, mr Spock was half vulcan, half human

No apology necessary, let's get on with the quiz
    Remember...Ler-Learn..
  • Name the player by listing clubs he's played for ie,
    Ipswich, charlton, spurs, Sunderland, villa, Fulham (loan).
    Answer would be darren bent. Stick a few from yesteryear in to throw the smartarses.
    Xmas no 1's but only give initials or add year if too difficult ie,
    1978 MBC by BM