Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Silly local things you remember from years back

The information sign at the Clock Tower that you pressed the buttons and made things light up !!! ... the Railway display in Garlands ( cant rember the shop name before That ) ... exchanging PG tips cards in the Post Office opposite the Albert top of Gravel Hill ...... simple things

Comments

• Only thing I really remember (fleetingly) was when the buses used to go straight down Bexleyheath Broadway before it was pedestrianised
  • You took me back there Stockholm with a light up information sign. Where I was brought up on Canvey they had a huge map in the high street with buttons and lights. I guess it would have been cutting edge technology then. As a kid it would keep me amused for ages whilst waiting for my mum to come out of the shops.
  • When you put a penny in the toyshop window and the trains used to run around.
  • - Renting out a video on a Saturday night from Broadway Video (when it was at the end of Oaklands Road).
    - Trading World opening in the old Co Op building (been years since I have been to Bexleyheath so dont even know whats there now).
    - Going sledging in the winter on the warren on midhurst hill down by the A2.
    - Picnics at Hall Place in the summer, and walking round that big hall with the high pitched squeeling that was caused by some security system and gave you a headache afterwards
    - Going for the fortnightly shop with my mum to Sainsburys in Bexleyheath, and then being really excited going to the new 'Megastore' in Crayford.
  • The information sign at the Clock Tower that you pressed the buttons and made things light up !!! ... the Railway display in Garlands ( cant rember the shop name before That ) ... exchanging PG tips cards in the Post Office opposite the Albert top of Gravel Hill ...... simple things

Pretty sure it was called Jennings before Garlands. Used to buy Dinky Toys and cap guns from there when I was a kid.

• When I was little I used to love it as well when we'd go to Bexleyheath and we'd park in the Shopping Centre Car Park (Which I'd call "The Building" because it felt like you were driving inside one).

Now its just a pain in the arse (Especially at Christmas)
  • White dog poo
  • edited July 2014
    The old cinema at Bexleyheath (before it got knocked down) and the liitle sweet shop opposite that used to sell the ice polls for 5p.
  • The Toffee apple man
  • Sponsored links:

• The old cinema at Bexleyheath (before it got knocked down) and the liitle sweet shop opposite that used to sell the ice polls for 5p.

Wasnt that where the Rat and Parrot pub used to be?
  • White dog poo

People often ask why you dont see white dog poo anymore. I think a lot of it is down to people being better with scooping their dog crap away, and better and more efficient street cleaning. I reckon white dog poo is basically just old dog crap that hasnt been cleaned up.
  • Green shield stamps
    Lewisham/Well Hall Odeons
    Getting up to change TV channels
    Being able to walk right around the Valley terracing during matches
  • White dog poo

People often ask why you dont see white dog poo anymore. I think a lot of it is down to people being better with scooping their dog crap away, and better and more efficient street cleaning. I reckon white dog poo is basically just old dog crap that hasnt been cleaned up.
    Too many bones in the dogs diet, in the days of dogs being fed all the leftovers from the table. Calcium in the bones turns the shite white. ;)
  • White dog poo

The reason it turned white was down to the bone meal in dog food and the decomposition of bilirubin.
  • White dog poo

The reason it turned white was down to the bone meal in dog food and the decomposition of bilirubin.
    I see where your coming from with excessive amounts of bonemeal in the poorer quality foods, but isn't bilirubin excreted through the urine?
  • Saturday morning pictures at Well Hall Odeon. Having enough money to buy a hotdog there.
    Climbing to the top of Sevendroog Castle in Castlewoods.
    My mum taking me to the café at the top of Oxleas Meadow.
    The prefabs in Oxleas (where we lived when I was a kid).
    The scorebox in the South East corner of The Valley.
    Newspapers being sold with '3.30 winners and the half times' as we left The Valley. How did they do that ?
    The rather large peanut seller....
  • The 53 bus becoming a 153 bus on Sundays and continuing for some reason from Camden Town to West Hampstead. The 75 terminating at Blackheath Standard on Sundays.
  • Bexleyheath having a good set of independent shops rather than a string of chains with independent shops sparingly inbetween
  • The sign with the stick man climbing the ladder at Pearce Signs in New Cross
    Playing 5 a side on the cricket wicket on Plumstead Common as it looked like Wembley, and then being chased off by the park keeper
    Collecting my ABC Minors badges at Sidcup ABC
    Sock tags as worn by Leeds Utd, we need to bring the back
  • Sponsored links:

• C&A

Bizarrely they're still going strong in Germany.

• Blockbusters in welling was a great night out!
  • Kanu's 40th birthday party in 1980.
  • After swimming at eltham baths getting a hot blackcurrant drink from the vending machine then going to the chippy over the road and getting a bean rounder (basically a hot scotch egg but baked beans as the filling instead of egg).

As a 10 year old you waited all day to get ready and go and pick a film for Saturday night, it was fckin huge in comparison to anything else at the time.

Otheres

Vortex Aquazoom at Crook log and always remember the first time in the 'Proper' Deep end at Crook Log, 12ft 6 deep!!!

As a 10 year old you waited all day to get ready and go and pick a film for Saturday night, it was fckin huge in comparison to anything else at the time.

Otheres

Vortex Aquazoom at Crook log and always remember the first time in the 'Proper' Deep end at Crook Log, 12ft 6 deep!!!
    And going off the top board
  • Fantasies swimming pool at Dartford
  • CPL you got loads of them there mate

Fishing at the aquatic centre in the dockyard

Jumping off the aquatic centre roof into the canoeing pool not the fishing side

Zodiac toys in Woolwich

The fit birds that worked at the bakers near Woolwich market

Surfing off the back of the 53 bus up bloomfield Rd
  • Catching a green line 725 bus From Widmore Green(Bromley) To Heathrow, No Longer runs.
    Swimming in the outdoor pool at Holy Trinity Convent, Plaistow Lane Bromley. Now Turned into Apartments
    Getting free crackling with chips wrapped up in newspaper, local Chippy at Holmesdale road, Bromley.