Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Marmaris in Turkey any recommendations

Hi just wondering has anyone ever been to marmaris in Turkey and what they thought of it considering booking for a week tomorrow and just want a heads up. Just what it's like for things to do etc

thanks in advance

Comments

• Just got back had a great time
  • Been twice before ,not a bad place to take in the sun always great weathet when I went.Not typical Turkey though I suppose its Turkeys Benidorm .Plenty of nice places in day tripping range.Ichmeler ,Turunch.Take it easy on the Rakki its lethal
  • It's the Benidorm of Turkey.
  • Don't go unless you are under 25...
  • Plenty to do. And pretty stunning coastline to be fair. Can't go wrong. Gets really busy towards the old town and quieter towards icmeler. Good night out and good lazy days.
  • I worked there for 4 months back in 1997 and assuming things haven't drastically changed then I can claim to know it well.. If you're not particularly looking for big nights out then I'd recommend Icmeler. If however you're looking to party then stick to Marmaris.
  • muslim country, don't go, they hate us and their hatred of you will be well concealed, they will smile at you and spit when your back is turned.

Despite the fact we saved Constantinople from being sacked by the Russians, history I know, they do not like christian/secular people, not worth spending money with.

Why give money to people that hate us?

Go to Greece instead.
  • Take extra carpet money!!!!!!!!
  • muslim country, don't go, they hate us and their hatred of you will be well concealed, they will smile at you and spit when your back is turned.

Despite the fact we saved Constantinople from being sacked by the Russians, history I know, they do not like christian/secular people, not worth spending money with.

Go to Greece instead.

Utter Bullshit. Just got back from Turkey and it was fantastic and they couldn't be nicer people .

• Sponsored links:

• Turkey is a beautiful country with beautiful people.
    Marmaris is indeed like Benidorm, if that's what you want great, but beautiful coast.
    I've stayed here a couple of times, much quieter and close to long beautiful undeveloped beach with great waves: http://apartmentsinpatara.com
    Dalyan offers a good balance between the two.
  • Don't really agree with Steve Dowman but I do think that people are always nice if you're giving them, or they think that you are going to give them, your money.
    One musn't be cynical but then one must be careful also not to be naive. Holidaymakers are some of the most naive.
  • Don't really agree with Steve Dowman but I do think that people are always nice if you're giving them, or they think that you are going to give them, your money.
    One musn't be cynical but then one must be careful also not to be naive. Holidaymakers are some of the most naive.

but that goes for every country in the world that has tourism. Turkey is no different and why that bigot had to bring up religion is beyond me .
    I can only go by my family's experience and that is that we are treated better in Turkey than we ever are in Spain or if we go on holiday in the UK.
  • Agree that religion has got absolutely nothing to do with it. Some of the nicest kindest people I've met were Muslims and they certainly weren't looking to take advantage of me financially or otherwise.

I'm glad you enjoyed your holiday in Turkey Bedsaddick.
  • yep. lovely people, wouldn't ever behead anyone. I can recommend visiting Malaysia if you want to be made to feel like an infidel.
  • yep. lovely people, wouldn't ever behead anyone. I can recommend visiting Malaysia if you want to be made to feel like an infidel.

I didn't get beheaded in Turkey and I wasn't made to feel like an infidel in Malaysia. Either I got lucky or you're just plain daft.
  • when did you last go to Malaysia?

When did you last go to Turkey ?

2003. Why? Are you going to tell me that it's changed since and that everyone has turned bad and hates us, rather like you hate every other nationality? Perhaps you need to consider that in fact you hate everyone else rather then everyone else hating you.
  • last time in marmaris was 2010, last time in Malaysia would be March, and no-one has turned bad and now hate us.
  • Sponsored links:

Go to Greece instead.

Utter Bullshit. Just got back from Turkey and it was fantastic and they couldn't be nicer people .

I think he was joking...
  • JaShea99 said:

muslim country, don't go, they hate us and their hatred of you will be well concealed, they will smile at you and spit when your back is turned.

Go to Greece instead.

I think he was joking...
    Hilarious
  • Never said it was funny, just don't think it was meant to be serious either.
  • edited August 2014
    Would agree that Marmaris is very Benidorm like! Stayed in Ichmeler before which was perfect (and you can very easily get to Marmaris for the night life if that's your cup of tea so best of both worlds). Stayed in the Marriott right at the end of the bay and it was fantastic.

Have also stayed at Gumbet (close to Bodrum) which was nice! Just stay clear of the Lletera Gumbet Beach hotel! Absolute hell hole! Would have rather have spent a week in Guantanamo Bay wearing a Nigel's shirt. Out Holiday operator (Goldtrail) also went bust when we were out there so was a bit of a disaster!! Place itself though was lovely and Bodrum is a good city to explore!

As for the Turkish people, have always found them very friendly and welcoming. Some of them are utter pervs though! Eyeing up any bit of skirt that moves. Remember speaking to one of the guests there who had a Turkish bath with her husband. They paid the same for what was supposedly the same treatment... Hers was a lot more touchy feely! He got a bucket of water just chucked over him, it was lightly dripped over her. I bet a lot of them have a hotel guest "would ya" discussion so any self respecting charlton life member should feel right at home ;-)

flagged for this, you guys and your pc ways.
  • Been Marmaris 3 times in last 6 years. First time was good but each time since it has got worse. As someone said above it you're under 25 and just want sun, sea, sex and alcohol then I'd recemmond it if not there's plenty of other places in Turkey. I went to Oludeniz last year and it was much better.
  • edited August 2014

Been Marmaris 3 times in last 6 years. First time was good but each time since it has got worse. As someone said above it you're under 25 and just want sun, sea, sex and alcohol then I'd recemmond it if not there's plenty of other places in Turkey. I went to Oludeniz last year and it was much better.

Just back from Oludiniz. it's the place to go.
  • You either love it or hate it....oh sorry that's Marmite.
  • Don't go
  • Keep at it Steve, i'm with you.