Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Is it April 1st Already?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/7232390.stm

Or are there really no lengths the PL won't go to in pursuit of Money?

Comments

• What a joke! At least we don't need to worry about it - another benefit of the Championship ;-)
  • cant get link to work whats it about
  • he English Premier League is considering playing some matches overseas, BBC Sport has learned.

At a meeting in London on Thursday, all 20 clubs agreed to explore a proposal to extend the season to 39 games.

Those 10 extra games would be played at venues around the world, with cities bidding for the right to stage them.

It is understood the additional fixtures could be determined by a draw but that the top-five teams could be seeded to avoid playing each other.
  • here ya go...
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem
    its about playing some PL games overseas...like the American football scenario
  • crazy they moan when they play more than once a week as the players get to tired
  • Bloody hell - thought it was another of AFKA's windups first of all ... that will bring a new dimension to travelling to away games!
  • Reading Vs Bolton in Los Angeles....

can see that getting a huuuuuuuge crowd of 200 people.
  • Wigan vs Derby

at the La Bombonera with Boca vs River plate as a pre match warm up as how else would you get people to go
  • [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]Old news people... ;-)

http://www.charltonlife.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=11873&page=1

Was in the Mirror a few weeks back too, but they've decided to look into it formally today.

Possible venues will probably be Reading v Boro at the al-Bigot stadium in Saudi Arabia, where no women will be allowed (this actually happened for Man Utd's trip there last months) and Fulham v Birmingham at the Mao memorial stadium, Beijing (Party members only, dissenters crushed by tanks).
  • Sponsored links:

• Erm - you sure that Foolham will still be in the prem?
  • [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]Erm - you sure that Foolham will still be in the prem?

I wouldn't be surprised if Fulham had folded by 2010, to be honest. But here's why Fayed moves heaven and earth to keep his stinking club in the Premiership...
  • It makes you smile hearing the likes of David Gold talk about developing their "brand". Man Utd OK and maybe the other PL fat cats but precisely what is Birmingham City's "brand" or Reading's or Bolton's or Charlton's for that matter? Their only "brand" value derives from having had a century of playing in Birmingham in front of their supporters. That is and will continue to be their only source of "brand" value. Even if they play a hundred times in Asia or America, unless they win the Prem League (impossible of course) nobody there, other than ex-pat Brummies, will give a toss whether Birmingham City is the Prem League or the Conference.
  • Agreed PM.

Medders, good to see me and you are always first with the news :-)
  • Surely it's unfair that some sides with have to play Man U or Arsenal three times - a random draw could see a team go down because of that.
  • what made me laugh is they said it had to be sanctioned by FIFA. A nice little back hander will see that happen.

Cracks me up it really does - gold couldn't get his head round the fact of supporters going out there. Just after xmas as well jhe then tried saying he could charter cheap flights. F****** clueless the lot of 'em/
  • As soon as a few idiot English fans go and support theit team and smash up a few foreign cities it will be canned.
  • A random draw wouldn't work, would have to be based purely on league position, so 1st plays 11th, 2nd plays 12th, etc. That would have two bonuses, firstly teams would play team comprable to the teams their nearest rivals play (e.g. you don't get the bottom club play Man Utd, whilst the second bottom club play Bolton, etc.) and secondly it would mean virtually every game would be meaning full as every game would involve a team fightly for the title, CL, UEFA or against relegation.

Still a stupid idea, and I'd be interested to hear what FIFA has to say about it. Can't see MLS for instance being happy when the prem rolls into town overshadowing all their games, stealing all their sponsors and coverage
  • Now what I want to know is this, If/When we are promoted and we are drawn to paly ManU in say Malysia, which voucher do I have to present before I get my ticket and where do I pick up the Valley Express coach and pay my fiver for travel to and from the game?
  • [cite]Posted By: JWADDICK[/cite]Now what I want to know is this, If/When we are promoted and we are drawn to paly ManU in say Malysia, which voucher do I have to present before I get my ticket and where do I pick up the Valley Express coach and pay my fiver for travel to and from the game?
    You'll need Valley Gold mate
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: JWADDICK[/cite]Now what I want to know is this, If/When we are promoted and we are drawn to paly ManU in say Malysia, which voucher do I have to present before I get my ticket and where do I pick up the Valley Express coach and pay my fiver for travel to and from the game?
    You'll need Valley Gold mate

that's all we need. a bunch of old farts sitting with their blankets and flasks supporting us in Malaysia.....
  • [cite]that's all we need. a bunch of old farts sitting with their blankets and flasks supporting us in Malaysia.....

That's no way to refer to WSS or to the loyal, vociferous and frankly threatening firm of old farts.
  • i'm 25....

(lifted from BBC site)

2010/11: Premier League plays one extra round of games abroad. Sheffield United are "drawn" against Man Utd, whilst relegation rivals Wigan get drawn against already relegated Derby; Sheffield Utd are subsequently relegated and try to sue the PL and the FA for conspiring (Trevor Brooking picked the balls out of the bag)!

2011/12: 39th game scrapped in favour of each team playing two "regular" fixtures (1 home, 1 away) staged abroad.

2014/15: Fixtures abroad increased to 4 games (2 home, 2 away).

2016/17: Every team plays 6 games abroad each year (3 home, 3 away). The extra demands of travelling on players is highlighted by a catalogue of "incidents" of player exhaustion. The chairmen vote to reduce the EPL to 16 teams.

2020/21: Every team plays 8 games abroad each year (4 home, 4 away). The financial gulf (and hence sporting gulf) between the EPL and Championship has seen promoted teams immedietely relegated for five consecutive seasons. The chairmen vote to stop relegation and promotion, subsequently closing the English top league from lower tiers.

2030/31: 50% of all PL games are being staged abroad. Liverpool want to relocate to 120,00-seater stadium in Bangkok where they have bigger fan base and play most of their "home" games anyway, whilst Chelsea are moving to New York and renaming themselves New York Blues!

2040/41: The "English Premier League" is re-branded the Barclays "World Series" on account of playing more than 90% outside England. In any case, the chairmen argue, the fickle English football spectators appear to be losing interest in the Premier League in favour of "local" teams whose matches they can actually attend.

It could happen...
  • WSSWSS
    edited February 2008
    A site which is campaigning against "Game 39":

http://www.fsf.org.uk

Some website resources on there LookOut/AFKA if it floats your boat.