Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Disney Orlando

I'm going with the family to Disney Orlando this summer. Mrs Shabby fancies Miami for a couple of days afterwards. Anyone been there? Advice would be welcome, as I've doen Disney Paris, but Orlando and Miami are another planet for me. Is there a good resort nearer to Disney than Miami? Any advice warmly welcome!

Comments

• Nice one, cheers #CrayAddick
  • Miami isn't a resort: it's a very large city that happens to have some sunshine.

I'm guessing you are really talking about Miami Beach which is a separate City and as its name suggests is the one with the beach (and the famous art deco buildings on Ocean Boulevard).

Closer alternatives from Orlando would be either Daytona Beach - which you can actually drive onto which is fun - (and take in a visit to the Kennedy Space Center) on the Atlantic coast or St Pete's Beach/Treasure Island on the Gulf coast.

I guess you are being forced to go "in the summer" by school holidays? But it really is the wrong time of year: Hot, humid and wet - you can expect rain 70% of the days (usually in the afternoon) in July and most of those days it will be heavy T-storms.
  • International drive Orlando close to all theme parks Miami about 1 hrs drive

No way - at least 3 hours from Orlando to Miami
  • yes your right its about 3 hours
  • Spent lots of time in Florida. Don't like Miami, only plus is everglades and the keys.
    Much prefer west coast................naples etc.
  • Going there in April. We're heading down to st Petersburg for a day and taking in an MLB game whilst there. Will be my 6th time to orlando.
  • Went in August last year, also due to school holidays... 7 days in a villa in Orlando...brilliant and more than enough (we have a 10 year old son, so chose out parks and didn't worry about what we 'missed'). Had a car and then drove to Miami (via an airboat ride in the everglades) for two nights (about 3 or so hours)...stayed on Ocean Drive in south beach, in one of the art deco hotels...for a family of 3, two nights/one full day was probably enough...afternoon walking on ocean drive, then the full next day on the beach, then drove 4 hours or so (stopping for lunch next to the ocean) to Key West and spent 5 or 6 nights on Key West for the 'relaxing' part of the holiday that my wife desired.. Lovely, lovely place, but 10 year old son not so happy there as is basically just another hotel/pool/beach holiday..highlight was a 27 mile jet ski ride around two of the keys which was both awesome and terrifying (the open ocean part!)... Weather in Orlando was extremely hot, humidity wasn't 'so' bad..one day of rain... Miami was almost unbearably hot, no rain... Key West was very hot, less humid, some cloud and no rain that I can recall... I bloody loved it and would love to go again... As it is, we're going to LA for half term to try out the other coast. Enjoy!
  • I'm going with the family to Disney Orlando this summer. Mrs Shabby fancies Miami for a couple of days afterwards. Anyone been there? Advice would be welcome, as I've doen Disney Paris, but Orlando and Miami are another planet for me. Is there a good resort nearer to Disney than Miami? Any advice warmly welcome!

Lake buena vista resort and spa is quality.
  • Sponsored links:

• It's 3-4 hours to St Pete's Beach/Tampa area, which is a fair old trek and Miami about 3 hours. I have done both, but with drives considered, didn't find those days so relaxing. Family enjoyed it more.
  • St Pete's is 90 minutes at most from Orlando. BA flies to Tampa and the airport is less stressful to use
  • I am going in July too and fancy a couple of nights at least by the coast. Another Addick is staying at Anna Maria Island which looks pretty good.... http://www.annamaria.com/?gclid=CL-mntbGr8MCFUgOwwodPkwAHQ. I have done Miami before but would recommend staying further up the coast, Fort Lauderdale to Palm Beach....
  • Or just go to California where Disneyland won't see rain from Feb till Dec.
  • Pavo said:

It's 3-4 hours to St Pete's Beach/Tampa area, which is a fair old trek and Miami about 3 hours. I have done both, but with drives considered, didn't find those days so relaxing. Family enjoyed it more.

Tampa is no more than 90 mins drive, been there to watch nfl games a few times, ground is just around the corner from Busch gardens, which I've been to 4 times. St petes is about 25 miles further, but all freeway so doesn't take too much longer.
  • Thanks to everyone who helped out here. if it was me, I'd do Paris and the Lake district, but Mrs Shabby is suffering from itchy feet lately, so it's going to be another sweaty summer holiday for me. At least maybe I can get Rapunzel's autograph.
  • Thanks to everyone who helped out here. if it was me, I'd do Paris and the Lake district, but Mrs Shabby is suffering from itchy feet lately, so it's going to be another sweaty summer holiday for me. At least maybe I can get Rapunzel's autograph.

I hair she doesn't do autographs.

• Key West is good, was there in Sept 2002 but it may be a tad to hot in the summer, it was in the 80's then.
  • ... At least maybe I can get Rapunzel's autograph.

We're going in August for the first time in a few years. Last trip, CatJnr moaned about queuing up for the Disney Princesses - now he's turned 14 he can't wait to get out there to get a hug and his photo taken....

• Same as! My two are happy to do a couple of rides every now and then, but really, they just want princesses. We got Elsa and Anna in november in Paris, and they're still chuffed now.
  • Sponsored links:

• When I saw the name of this thread I thought it was another signing from inside the network.

Driving what and at what speed? More like 3-4 hours.
  • Clearwater Beach was nice in 2001. Haven't been since.