Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Successful Penalty % ratio since 1946/1947. Minimum of 5 Pens taken

edited March 2015 in General Charlton
As follows: % Ratio followed by Pens scored and how many taken

This information is from Colin Cameron's Home and Away book and club handbooks there after from 2003. Since 2003 it does not mention if any Charlton player missed a pen, bar Sordell last season so there may be one or two inaccuracies. Penalty shoot outs are included.

Darren Bent 100% 9 from 9
Yoni Buyens 100% 7 from 7
Deon Burton 100 % 7 from 7
Andy Reid 100% 5 from 5
Clive Mendonca 94% 16 from 17
Derek Hales 88% 15 from 17
Bob Curtis 87% 20 from 23
Charlie Revell 86% 6 from 7
Frank Lock 86% 6 from 7
Mike Kenning 86% 6 from 7
Paul Went 86% 6 from 7
Paul Mortimer 86% 6 from 7
Alan Pardew 86% 6 from 7
Sam Lawrie 85% 11 from 13
Mark Reid 83% 15 from 18
Richie Bowman 80% 4 from 5
Darren Pitcher 80% 8 from 10
Paulo Di Canio 80% 4 from 5
Jason Euell 75% 9 from 12
Johnnie Jackson 73% 11 from 15
John Hewie 71% 5 from 7
Keith Peacock 71% 5 from 7
Roy Matthews 70% 7 from 10
Stuart Leary 67% 4 from 6
Dennis Edwards 67% 4 from 6
Harry Gregory 57% 4 from 7
Graham Stuart 57% 4 from 7
Eddie Firmani 50% 5 from 10
Mike Flanagan 50% 3 from 6
Colin Walsh 50% 3 from 6
Steve Brown 50% 3 from 6

Other notable records but less than 5 pens taken are as follows

Tommy Caton 100% 3 from 3
Jonatan Johansson 100% 3 from 3

Comments

• I can remember Morts missing one at Selhurst I think
  • I might be making this up but I could have sworn Mortimer missed a penalty in the 98/99 Prem relegation season and hit the post. We seemed to get so few penalties around that time I remember it!

If it wasn't him who was it?
  • LenGlover said:

I might be making this up but I could have sworn Mortimer missed a penalty in the 98/99 Prem relegation season and hit the post. We seemed to get so few penalties around that time I remember it!

Against Leeds. List now amended
  • LenGlover said:

I might be making this up but I could have sworn Mortimer missed a penalty in the 98/99 Prem relegation season and hit the post. We seemed to get so few penalties around that time I remember it!

Neil Redfern missed one, could be him.
  • it was morts
  • Yeh he slipped as he took it.

Mendonca is the king for me.
  • LenGlover said:

Neil Redfern missed one, could be him.
    Redfern missed (well, had it saved) against Notts Forest that season. Both matches ended in draws.
  • edited March 2015
    Respect to Deon Burton though, I'd forgotten about his penalties.
    Very surprised by Firmani's ratio.
  • One of those Brownie missed pens was at 28/1 first goal scorer away to Wolves
  • Super research, Shirty. Charlton life at its best!
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 2015
    Statastic Shirty.

What about Kermorgant ?
  • edited March 2015
    Great stats Shirty, fancy joining the museum Historical Team? ;-)
  • Statastic Shirty.

What about Kermorgant ?

I have Kermorgant as 100% 2 from 2. I could have sworn he took more than 2 pens, so Will check that again.
  • seth plum said:

Me too, on both counts Seth.
    Firmani's 5 out of 10 really surprises me. I thought he'd be right up there with the best penalty takers.

Remember well the Morts miss (against the post) v Leeds at The Valley 98/99.
    That was agony.

3 points that day might have gone a long way towards avoiding relegation that season.
    Seem to remember we were eventually relegated 3 points short of safety.

• JohnnyH2 said:

One of those Brownie missed pens was at 28/1 first goal scorer away to Wolves

December 1994. Mark Robson fouled in the first couple of minutes.

From the stories I have heard, Charlton fans were jumping around with betting slips in the air when the pen was given, though it all went wrong when Brownie's pen was saved by the keeper's legs.
  • I can remember Morts missing one at Selhurst I think

Against Nottingham Forest to I think in the premiership but it could have been Div 1
  • Awesome stuff @Shirty

I've got a plan for this sort of stuff which will be right up your street for this summer
  • How did Eddie Firmani get to take ten penalties when he had such a poor record? I assume he missed a few at the end and Mendonca took over.
  • My memory tells me that if the Morts one had gone in or the redfearn one (against Wimbledon?) that we'd have stayed up that year...was that right?
  • seth plum said:

How did Eddie Firmani get to take ten penalties when he had such a poor record? I assume he missed a few at the end and Mendonca took over.

Eddie Firmani's Penalty record

25/12/53 Bolton (H) Missed
    16/4/54 Man U (A) Missed
    30/10/54 Chelsea (A) Scored
    6/11/54 West Brom (H) Scored
    27/11/54 Man C (A) Scored
    22/1/55 Wolves (A) Scored
    29/1/55 West Brom FAC (A) Missed
    5/2/55 Aston Villa (H) Scored
    2/4/55 Newcastle (H) Missed
    22/3/65 Cardiff (H) Missed
  • Sponsored links:

• Fumbluff said:

My memory tells me that if the Morts one had gone in or the redfearn one (against Wimbledon?) that we'd have stayed up that year...was that right?

The Redfearn miss was against Forest
  • LenGlover said:

It was Morts
  • Who did Mendonca miss against?
  • cabbles said:

Who did Mendonca miss against?

QPR league cup
  • cabbles said:

Who did Mendonca miss against?

QPR. League Cup September 98
  • shirty5 said:

Statastic Shirty.

What about Kermorgant ?

I have Kermorgant as 100% 2 from 2. I could have sworn he took more than 2 pens, so Will check that again.
    Checked again and it is only 2.
  • Yoni Buyens , Darren Bent, Superclive, and Matt Le tissier who scored 47 out of 48,
    Prove to me that Penalty taking is a fantastic Skill and not a lottery which Football guys like Glenn Hoddle should've realized instead of letting David Batty take one in the world cup when the last one he had taken was when he was 10 (missed that one as well)

We have seen over the years some players just don't have the bottle for penalties.

When my boy had his picture taken with De canio in the club shop the day after his penalty against Arsenal, i seized my moment and asked him about his penalty Technique
    and he replied that he always looks into the eyes of the keeper before making up his mind. Having Paulo looking you in the eyes would put anybody off.

• Didn't realise Darren Bent took as many as that, impressive figures ditto for Deon Burton.

Thinking about Wembley 98, I reckon it was the only time Bowen, Newts and Keith Jones took penalties for us, although there may a couple of shootouts I've forgotten.
  • JohnnyH2 said:

One of those Brownie missed pens was at 28/1 first goal scorer away to Wolves

So, he DID let you down then-the song lied!
  • shirty5 said:

Andy Gray 100% 3 from 3

I remember Andy missing one at Hereford away in the League Cup before they scored to beat us 1-0