Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The week that was - 28th Feb 1975. Charlton 2 Gillingham 1

edited February 2008 in General Charlton
Friday 28th Feruaury 1975. Third Division. The Valley. Att 18,929

Charlton Athletic 2 (1) (Cripps 41, Kelly 77) Gillingham 1 (1) (Feely 25)

Charlton: Tutt, Curtis, Cripps, Hunt, Goldthorpe, Young, Powell, Hales, Horsfield, Kelly, Peacock. Unused sub: Flanagan.

Gillingham: Hillyard, Wiltshire (O'Donnell 79), Ley, Galvin, Shipperley, Tydeman, Jacks, Gauden, Richardson, Chadwick, Feely.

Referee: K Baker (Rugby).

Charltons 3rd highest home attendance in their promotion season. League gates varied between 26,104 for the visit of Palace to a mere 4,527 for the Swindon game.

Comments

• What was Kelly's first name? I can't place him - rest of the team is very familiar. No specific recollection of this match, but think I was probably there with my Dad!
  • Mike Kelly. Charlton career: 10 apps 3 goals. All in this season.
  • Thanks, H&A. Definitely forgotten him!
  • Are the Gillingham Shipperley and Tydeman, the Dave and Dick who played for us?
  • Well, they're common names, so that might be a long shot, 1905 ;-)
  • They are indeed the very same.

I'm trying to remember if they both went back there after their spells with us?
  • I knew that we got Tydeman from Gillingham - can't remember him going back there.
  • 1975 we must have got him after that,i can remember him playing for Charlton and I was only 5 i 75 so he must have come to us after this game.
  • I used to love the Friday night games.
  • H&A - you're wanted on the Grant Basey thread!
  • Sponsored links:

• One from us to them and back and one from them to us and back.......

Midfielder Dick Tydeman was sold for a club record fee of £65,000 to Charlton Athletic in December 1976. He later returned for a second spell during the summer of 1981 and, in total, made 371 league appearances for the club.

‘The worst thing I ever did as Gillingham Manager was to sign Dave Shipperley. He is a tremendous player’. A seemingly extraordinary comment from Andy Nelson until you understand the context. Immediately Gills got promoted back into the Third Division in 1974 Nelson signed Dave from Charlton. Nelson then was poached by Charlton to become their manager, leaving Dave with us. It took Nelson four years to get him back.

Dave Shipperley was a towering centre-half, built like the proverbial brick outhouse, and looked even more fearsome with the then fashionable long hair and beard. The sort of player that home fans idolise, and opposition fans target. Amazingly, Gills had got him from Charlton on a free transfer, where he had been in some dispute with them and gone on strike to work as a dustman. He dominated in defence with his heading and crunching tackles, was an obvious aerial danger at set pieces, and electrified the crowd when from time to time he decided to charge forward with the ball like a runaway tank
  • edited February 2008
    I remember this game well including the punch up on the old south terrace in the days when you could walk right round the ground. This took place after Gillingham took the lead. It was a great atmosphere and the place was rocking when we scored the winner, which from memory was shanked by Kelly. He was a talentless nerk but I forgave him everything after this.

As for Shipperley, he was huge and broad-shouldered. I was really p*ssed off when we sold him. He'd done well when he first came into the team, then had a longish lay off with injury. Theo Foley never really fancied him and he was sold. When he came back again he wasn't the same player and I think he packed in due to back trouble.

Tydeman was a popular player for us after signing him from the Gills, but not with me. I hated him and thought him hugely overrated. He did pass it around although he often misplaced his passes and he did score the odd decent goal but he couldn't head for toffees and was often muscled out.

This game was a rare one for Horsfield being played as a striker as had switched to centre back most of the time this season.

Great result even better because of the Friday night effect.
  • I agree wholeheartedly with your opinion of Tydeman, Bing.
  • I remember the game well...I still think we had well over 18K in for this one. Was a real rollicking season.
    Big Dave....Ship, Ship, Shipperley...remember a game when he powered a header so hard against the crossbar, the rebound ended up on the half way line after just one bounce.....the noise of the ball hitting the bar, and shuddering has always stayed with me...
  • Got the train up from Maidstone with a mate. When we changed at Strood, the one that pulled in was full of Jills fans but not one peep from them.

Tydeman was never a favorite of mine either. I remember him getting sent off at Colchester one year.

Don't remember Kelly at all either!
  • [cite]Posted By: Tel-in-Oz[/cite]I remember the game well...I still think we had well over 18K in for this one. Was a real rollicking season.
    Big Dave....Ship, Ship, Shipperley...remember a game when he powered a header so hard against the crossbar, the rebound ended up on the half way line after just one bounce.....the noise of the ball hitting the bar, and shuddering has always stayed with me...

Tel, I remember that!! Can't remember the game though. He really was a colossus. I think there was a feeling around that because of his size he was a bit of an eeyore but I didn't and he was so commanding in the air. His son Neil, played for quite a few teams including Palarse. A different sort of player though.
  • Mike Kelly had long hair and a beard. I think he was trouble. I seem to remember him getting stabbed.(Not on the pitch LOL)
  • [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]Mike Kelly had long hair and a beard.

Didn't everyone in 1975? (except me as a 16 year old of course!)
  • i was 8 days old wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh was all i reckon i did that day
  • I think we inadvertently shared quite a few games Bing along with Oggy....I cant remember the game either, but he was a big fella and very mobile.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2008
    I remember this one.

Tydeman played really well for them, spraying the ball around and I reckon Nelson rated him having managed him at both clubs.

I liked Tydeman personally but for a big bloke he was lightweight. On his day he was a good creative midfielder and with the likes of Peter Hunt, Richie Bowman, Colin Powell and Keith Peacock we had a class midfield. Mr Gliksten therefore decided to sell Hales! Ho hum!

Mick "Ned" Kelly allegedly stabbed or threatened to stab somebody and ended up inside. He had a spell at Coldblow Lane which might explain his alleged violent behaviour!
  • [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]

Mick "Ned" Kelly allegedly stabbed or threatened to stab somebody and ended up inside. He had a spell at Coldblow Lane which might explain his alleged violent behaviour!

Good to see Ned Kelly mentioned again.

He was one of my forgotton players on the "Where Are They Now" thread a few days ago.
    I thought I was the only one who remembered him, so thanks Len. ;o)

I'm pretty sure we signed him from Southern League Bexley United. You're good at these old players' records, Len - do you know his playing history - and where he is now?

Just curious.
  • edited February 2008
    Shipps wasn't noted for his finesse but he lurched around the pitch about twice the size of any other player.

My stand out moment of him was in a just before Easter 1972 Division 2 match home to Orient, where Big Dave hit a long backpass almost from the half way line. It caught in the wind and looped high and down into the back of our net.

One of the own goals of the century.

We were relatively comfortably esconced in lower mid-table - but after Shipps glorious og, we lost
    that Orient match 2-1 and never won another match all season, culminating in that
    dreadful spineless 5-0 collapse at Blackpool in the last match of the season.

You would never have predicted relegation for Charlton, in the middle of March that year.
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite] You would never have predicted relegation for Charlton, in the middle of March that year.

a bit before my charlton life began..... by the sounds of that seasons collapse you probably had us down as promotion certainties in march ;-)
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Shipps wasn't noted for his finesse but he lurched around the pitch about twice the size of any other player.

My stand out moment of him was in a just before Easter 1972 Division 2 match home to Orient, where Big Dave hit a long backpass almost from the half way line. It caught in the wind and looped high and down into the back of our net.

One of the own goals of the century.

We were relatively comfortably esconced in lower mid-table - but after Shipps glorious og, we lost
    that Orient match 2-1 and never won another match all season, culminating in that
    dreadful spineless 5-0 collapse at Blackpool in the last match of the season.

You would never have predicted relegation for Charlton, in the middle of March that year.

Oggy, that fall down the league all co-incided with an injury to Peter Reeves - my how we missed him.
  • I was drinking with the bloke I went up with last night (a WHU fan) and he says he remembers a few 'Irons' started singing Bubbles in The Covered End around half time and it all kicking off with them. Strange because only now he reminded me do I have only the smallest recollection of the incident.
  • 40 years on.......
  • Can't remember much about the game (I was only 9) but I can remember a right old crush at Charlton station, plenty of Gillingham going in the same direction as us.
  • went to this game ..tydeman stood out for them ,remember it was all a bit tastey on the terraces ,for the life of me i cant remember kelly
  • I'm sure I remember Mike Kelly scoring 1 or maybe both against Port Vale at home including a shot from just in front of the dug out which the keeper watched sail over his head.

I maybe completely barking and got this wrong though. Anyone confirm ??!!