Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sheffield United

edited February 2008 in General Charlton
Ive been scratching my head wondering how Pardew can accomodate all the midfielders on Saturday and the only option I can come up with is a 4-5-1 formation which in some quarters would signal a return for Iwelumo.

How do you feel about that would it cause a downer for Varney?

I just cannot see how Luke can be dropped and what signal would it send out to the fans if this were the case?

Comments

• As long as we don't ship 5 then it will be an improvement !

Personally I reckon we should revert back to the old "WM" formation.
  • luke's a must for me and i'd still prefer to see gray in front of big chris but i have no idea how pardew's gonna shuffle his pack ... with that many wingers/whingers at the club there will be a few unhappy players when the team sheet goes up!
  • How about a midfield of Sam, Ambrose, Cook, Sinclair, Thomas???

A right dirty midfield full of rock hard b*stards who will run their guts out for the team and always get their foot in. Honest.
  • edited February 2008
    How about

Big Chris up front

Midfield of Ambrose ZZ Holland Semedo Varney. Luke can fill in on the right or float in with Iwelumo

Defence.. Whoever isn't going to make a cock up.

Weaver

Bench Cook, Gray, Thomas or Shevley, Elliot and a defender
  • Weaver

Halford
    Sodje
    McCarthy
    Youga

Sam/Thomas
    Ambrose
    Zheng
    Holland
    Sinclair

Varney

Get back to 4-5-1 on the road and lets have a clean sheet.
  • Weaver

Mooo2 Fortune Mccarthy Youga

Semedo

Zheng Holland Ambrose

Gray Varney

Subs Elliot Sodje Thomas Thatcher Sinclair
  • Weaver

Halford
    Sodje
    McCarthy
    Youga

Cook
    Zheng
    Holland
    Sinclair
    Ambrose

Varney

subs Gray,Iwellumo,Thatcher/Gibbs,Semedo/Thomas,Elliot

4-5-1 with Ambrose and Sinclair comming in behind Varney

i think either Gibbs or Thatcher and it is out of Thomas and semedo

when you put the team up like this it really does look strong up the addicks we need this one bad
  • Weaver

Halford
    Sodje
    McCarthy
    Youga

Varney
    ZZ
    Holland
    Ambrose

Sinclair

Iwelumo

My thinking is that 4-5-1 is most probably necessary away from home but I also think that we need to win not draw so this team can slip from a 4-5-1 to a 4-3-3 if and when necessary
  • Why does anyone think Iwelumo should play LOL
  • Because he is the best we have in a 4-5-1
  • Sponsored links:

• and he's our highest scorer?
  • I agree except he cant jump, he has no pace, he cant judge the flight of a ball, he cant hold the ball up, he cant tackle, he gives away free kick after free kick and he is used by Pards with Halford for his favoured chase the game tactic of boot the ball in the box.
  • He scored late winners against Southampton & Bristol City away & is, I believe, an invaluable member of our team.
  • Invaluable? each to their own but I cant think of a worse forward since Bradley Allen! (and even that is a bit harsh on Allen really) what assests does he have then?
  • Ken, if he is that bad why is he our top scorer?!?!?!
  • For me Gray should start as long as the 5 in midfield quickly becomes a 3 up front when we're attacking. Far too often when we played 451, Iwelumo was isolated, and on the odd occasion he won headers, he was flicking them on to no-one.
    If the likes of Sinclair/Cook/Thomas/Ambrose/Sam can get forward quickly enough to support Gray then we should be ok. The advantage of having Gray up there is that he can hold the ball up. Iwelumo can't.
    I'd keep Varney back to bring him on once Sheffield tire late on, as they had a tough game and extra time on weds night.
  • I think we have to really go for games now so I would play 4-4-2. However, after last week I expect Mr Pardew to go back to 4-5-1 for away games & 4-4-2 for home ones. I would keep Gray in the 4-5-1, didn't agree with his signing at all, but have been pleasantly surprised by him. When he gets a goal we'll find we have a real player on our hands.
  • He has height & he does trouble centre halves at this level. His main asset though, as far as I am concerned, is that he scores goals, gets into goalscoring positions & has a history of scoring goals at this level.

I've not been impressed with Andy Gray so far in the goalscoring department. That 1 on 1 he missed last week was shocking.

As well as those two late winners he DID get, with powerful far post headers, Iwelumo also put himself into the perfect postion to score an identical late goal against Coventry away. Yes, he put it wide of the post when he should have scored but he was there to miss it. I just think if you are going to play 4-5-1 away from home big Chris has already showed this season that he knows how to play the 1.
  • If it's been mentioned elsewhere then i apologise but didn't Pardew say Gray had personal problems leading up to the Blackpool match. Anyone know what they were and if it's been sorted out?
  • Everyone sees a game differently. For example yes he scored a late far post header from a couple of yards thanks to Varney's skill at Southampton, but for the rest of the game down there he was appauling.

I dont think we need just play one up if Semedo is used to protect a narrow three man midfield of ambrose, zheng and holland with the full backs giving width

Iwelumo troubles defenders yes but only because they are worried where he will clatter them before the ref gives them a free kick
  • Sponsored links:

• Stu of SE7[/cite]Ken, if he is that bad why is he our top scorer?!?!?![/quote]

says it all really. thought Zheng had as many from midfield

how many assists though? nil?
  • There's only 1 thing I want a goalscorer to do: put the ball in the net. Leave the pretty football to others. Big Chris has shown he CAN score goals away from home in a 4-5-1. Andy Gray has yet to do this, or even look remotely like scoring. I hope Gray develops into a legend for us but at the moment I would play Iwelumo tomorrow IF we are going to play 4-5-1. If we are playing 4-4-2 then I would go with Varney & Gray.
  • Its all a bit academic really isn`t it. Whatever we do in midfield and up front ? Its our defence thats causing the grief. Get that right so we don`t concede every time the opposition attacks and I really do believe we have the midfield and attack to win games.
  • The question is who setup Big Chris for his goals ?
  • Varney at Southampton & Andy Reid at Bristol City. But now we have a new raft of wingers waiting to get their chance to put the ball on Big Chris' head!!
  • go with the Varney upfront and Darren Ambrose or Sinclair to ghost in along side of him. we looked at our best with Varney and Mcleod upfront even if Mcleod never scored.
  • SHG, the defence has been pretty solid recently (apart from Blackpool) gives the lads are chance, we will come good, get a nice run in and win the league, FACT.
  • Stu - I can`t honestly say that the defence has filled me with confidence at any time during the season so far with maybe an exception being the Stoke at home game. Far to many many comedy goals for a team pressing for top six never mind top two. I hope you are right about us coming good although we had beter start coming good PDQ if we want anything to cheer about come may.
  • Pardew's random lineup generator comes up with this.

[align=center]Weaver
    Halford McCarthy Sodje Youga
    Semedo
    Ambrose Holland Zheng Zhi Sinclair
    Iwelumo[/align]