Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Non-turkey Christmas ?

Who doesn't have turkey ? what do you have instead ?

Comments

• Having duck this year.
  • Me. Missus doesn't like it.

Roast Sirloin of Beef and a small Chicken so we have some poultry
  • Me this year, Organic Beef, keeping the dull bird which is Turkey away this year
  • [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Me this year, Organic Beef, keeping the dull bird which is Turkey away this year

I was expecting a quip about your other half! ;o)
  • We will be having Turkey. Not my choice cos I actually prefer chicken.

I am off to the gym all this talk of food is making me feel fat!
  • Going to bella vista blackheath this year so have a rather tasty of choice of 4 different meats and even a seafood one i think... yum. and no washing up!
  • i know everyone's family situation etc is different, but i really couldn't imagine having christmas dinner in a restaurant.

do they wheel out the telly for the Queen's Speech ???
  • dinner is booked for 3.15. so wouldnt know. will give us enough time to walk from the pub across blackheath to sit down in time so will skip the speech...
  • Never watch the Queens speach either!!

Despite being a Royalist its a load of old bollox if you ask me.
  • Having a Christmas Family meal in a pub was nice, had it a couple of years ago over at Rodmersham Green. Going to the bar & shovelling down pints & a big dinner with a few other select family's as well, all very civilised. Also eveyone is less stressed due to not having to worry about preparing food.
  • Sponsored links:

• we are having beef and some gammon.
  • am trying my hardest to ditch the turkey in favour of something more british,but having absolutely no success and i refuse to watch the queen's speech-usually a bond film on.
  • Lasy year I came home for Xmas, and went for a long, long walk on Xmas day along the cliffs in the Isle of Purbeck before winding up at a pub - Square & Compasses in Worth Matravers.

I've never watched the Queen's speech...
  • anyone have goose, or anything like that ?

i'm off to pret to get their christmas sandwich now. Like Ollie, this has all been too much for me !
  • Goose is great, goose fat to cook ya spudz in is even better.
  • edited November 2006
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]Lasy year I came home for Xmas, and went for a long, long walk on Xmas day along the cliffs in the Isle of Purbeck before winding up at a pub - Square & Compasses in Worth Matravers.

I've never watched the Queen's speech...

bfr that sounds like absolute bliss. Am doing something similar for new year. going down to my favourite spot lulworth cove which is not far. staying there for 3 nights... and do plan to do a fair amount of walking along that coastline. reckon ill manage weymouth to lulworth on new years day?? a hefty challenge plus the hotel are serving a continuous breakfast till 2pm so perhaps not...
  • Weymouth-Lulworth is a tough ask but a good 5 hours should see you ok. In my case I started at Langton Matravers, walked to Acton, then along the cliff walk via Seacombe to Winspit Cove, where we had sandwiches and mince pies and then back to Worth Matravers. If you know Winspit Cove, my great, great uncle or something used to live in the cottage behind the quarries there, while another distant relative was responsible for creating the swimming pool at Dancing Ledge. I hope you have good weather for your walk.
  • Had the worst food poisoning of my life from Bella Vista a few years ago and have never been back, shame as used to really like it (sorry Curb It - am sure it will be great for you!). Same night Rio Ferdinand was in there trying to buy my wife drinks (whilst keeping his back to me - she told him to 'go away') and Eddie Youds was dining at the table next to me with some young lady....it all goes on in Bella!

Not sure what we're eating this year as we're at the in-laws...great as means I don't have to lift a finger all day (apart from up at 6am with CC Junior)
  • i hope they dont read this website!!! they'll sue you! i've never had a problem there before so fingers crossed.
  • I will be having goose and veal as well probably (plus potato dumplings). My father-in-law is a German chef and so it will be absolutely delicious but you can feel the arteries harden as you eat.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]Weymouth-Lulworth is a tough ask but a good 5 hours should see you ok. In my case I started at Langton Matravers, walked to Acton, then along the cliff walk via Seacombe to Winspit Cove, where we had sandwiches and mince pies and then back to Worth Matravers. If you know Winspit Cove, my great, great uncle or something used to live in the cottage behind the quarries there, while another distant relative was responsible for creating the swimming pool at Dancing Ledge. I hope you have good weather for your walk.

new years day ... I might give the 5 hour one a miss. perhaps do that on the 30th . I dont know the area that you have mentioned but perhaps worth having a look at. i shall report back if i do.
  • We've had a leg of Pork Christmas day for the last ten years or so. The missus buys it at the beginning of December from the Farmers Market, scores and salts it then stick it in the freezer.

The smell of roasting pork when I come downstairs Christmas morning is orgasmic. The crackling is to die for and The Apple Cider Sauce just rounds it off.

God I'm hungry now.
  • [cite]Posted By: Addickted[/cite]We've had a leg of Pork Christmas day for the last ten years or so. The missus buys it at the beginning of December from the Farmers Market, scores and salts it then stick it in the freezer.

The smell of roasting pork when I come downstairs Christmas morning is orgasmic. The crackling is to die for and The Apple Cider Sauce just rounds it off.

God I'm hungry now.

dude, that scoring and salting then freezing sounds a winner man, i will have to give that a blast once i move to my flat. i just put a pork in the oven (already scored and i salted it) and now i cant wait to eat the crackling! i love crackling its ace

cooking it is nearly as rewarding as eating it
  • reading this thread has made me realise how much i want to learn to cook properly.

All i can really do is bung things in the oven or microwave... :-(
  • MCSMCS
    edited November 2006
    dood, even i can cook so you can if you put your mind to it and enjoy it. the roast dinner is my speciality
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]reading this thread has made me realise how much i want to learn to cook properly.

All i can really do is bung things in the oven or microwave... :-(

Cooking properly is generally just a matter of patience and timing.
  • edited November 2006
    And using good ingredients.
  • edited November 2006
    And, dare i say it, a passion and desire to cook, and eat, good food.

Back to the original thread- the family always wanted Turkey, which i hate with a passion, so, wherever lunch was, i'd offer to cook a side dish of Brisket of Beef, in it's own gravy. Always taken up and never any left- which was more than could be said for the Turkey.
  • Not sure whats on the menu for christmas day yet but its normally omelette and chips. But might splash out on a Fray Bentos Steak n Ale pie or the chicken n mushroom pie with Chocolate sponge/Rhubarb crumble and custard for afters - handsome!
  • you can't have omelette and chips for Christmas !!