Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Car accident advice

Some fella drove into the back of our car this morning whilst the wife and youngest son were on the way back from the school run. She was stationary waiting for a delivery van to turn right in front of her and he went into the back
Both are absolutely fine which of course was my main concern. The damage to the back of our zafira is pretty minimal but I reckon it'll need a new rear bumper at the very least.
The chap who did the damage was fine and concerned for their wefare,apologised and gave his details,(he owns a local restaurant) and even gave the wife a call when she got home to make sure both were ok. Now he said to my wife that if possible he'd like to avoid using his insurance. As long as the job is done to standard( I have a good friend in the car repair trade) and he pays then I'm fine with that.
My question is to you good people is how should I go from here. Do I tell my insurance company first/at all? Ring the fella and tell him I want my mate to do the work,get a quote and let him settle up? Forget the repair and tell him I want free takeaways for life? :)
Been so long since I've had a prang ( trust the wife!) Ive forgotten how to go about things?
Cheers

Comments

• If you are happy to sort it all out amicably in cash I wouldn't tell your insurers. I can understand both of you prefering not to tell your insurance as it would achieve nothing other than increase everyone's premiums next year
  • Carter said:

If you are happy to sort it all out amicably in cash I wouldn't tell your insurers. I can understand both of you prefering not to tell your insurance as it would achieve nothing other than increase everyone's premiums next year

Very much this. Even if you have protected no claims and even if you are not at fault, most insurance companies will record that you had an 'incident'. This means that although you wont lose your NCB, they will load your premium before discounting said premium with your NCB.
  • Is your wife having a go at the crash for cash scam?
  • I have had two situations where the same request was made, one was straight forward and the cash handed over no problem, the other I got the quote went to the birds house and the old man who I had spoken to on the phone only two hrs earlier started to get a bit lemon and only wanted to pay half as he thought the quote was too high, as long as you get the money the same day as the accident you don't have a tricky explanation to your insurance company aa to why you didn't report it immediately or the earliest opportunity,
  • As you say I'd definitely get him to pay in cash/cleared funds, before I got the work done.
  • Is your wife having a go at the crash for cash scam?

Sadly not. Don't think I'd get much for her!
  • I have had two situations where the same request was made, one was straight forward and the cash handed over no problem, the other I got the quote went to the birds house and the old man who I had spoken to on the phone only two hrs earlier started to get a bit lemon and only wanted to pay half as he thought the quote was too high, as long as you get the money the same day as the accident you don't have a tricky explanation to your insurance company aa to why you didn't report it immediately or the earliest opportunity,

One crash is just unfortunate, two is downright careless :-)
  • Wife both times mate not guilty
  • Quote, cash, do.
    It's a no claims bonus I get that, but the insurance companies have the 'you were involved in an accident' line when you renew whatever the nature of the accident.
    Also it's a no claims bonus, not a no blames bonus.
  • Some fella drove into the back of our car this morning whilst the wife and youngest son were on the way back from the school run. She was stationary waiting for a delivery van to turn right in front of her and he went into the back
    Both are absolutely fine which of course was my main concern. The damage to the back of our zafira is pretty minimal but I reckon it'll need a new rear bumper at the very least.
    The chap who did the damage was fine and concerned for their wefare,apologised and gave his details,(he owns a local restaurant) and even gave the wife a call when she got home to make sure both were ok. Now he said to my wife that if possible he'd like to avoid using his insurance. As long as the job is done to standard( I have a good friend in the car repair trade) and he pays then I'm fine with that.
    My question is to you good people is how should I go from here. Do I tell my insurance company first/at all? Ring the fella and tell him I want my mate to do the work,get a quote and let him settle up? Forget the repair and tell him I want free takeaways for life? :)
    Been so long since I've had a prang ( trust the wife!) Ive forgotten how to go about things?
    Cheers

I'm assuming you've already been round to his place and put all his windows through, so now you can't eat his food coz he'll spit in it at the very least.

I'd go down the route of him paying you the amount your pal in the car repair trade quoted, plus £250 for your trouble.
  • Sponsored links:

• ...glad your family are okay Carly mate
  • My mother in law got rear ended by a Bulgarian lorry driver on the M25 a couple of weeks ago. She's adamant he did it deliberately because she wouldn't let him cut in. Claimed he couldn't speak any English so she called the police, who didn't want to know. Took his registration details but no company name on the lorry, didn't like to tell her she's got zero chance of having any luck claiming on his insurance.
  • MrOneLung said:

My mother in law got rear ended by a Bulgarian lorry driver on the M25 a couple of weeks ago. She's adamant he did it deliberately because she wouldn't let him cut in. Claimed he couldn't speak any English so she called the police, who didn't want to know. Took his registration details but no company name on the lorry, didn't like to tell her she's got zero chance of having any luck claiming on his insurance.

this is just waiting for a DaveMehmet comment.

Oh, hold on....
    LOL, I did re-read that and snigger to myself
  • If you kind-of know the guy then don't bother with insurance.

I had a n employee at work got hit - the guy wanted to use his own garage which was a pikey yard. My employee was not keen on it so refused that and used his own. The bloke who hit him refused to pay and it caused a fair amount of grief. Got there in the end but i'd be wary if it were a complete stranger.

Similarly I got hit by a guy who proceeded to give me false details - that took a while to sort. It was only by chance that his insurer was also my employer otherwise I'd have been screwed

The guideline is 'as soon as you can', but the key thing is that it was reported. I don't see how you're accountable to the insurers as to why you didn't rush to the phone.
  • def if you can sort it privately then get it done, quite apart from avoiding administration and claims and the ratio effect it will have on rising cost of insurance etc
    if you go insurance route you will suddenly get hounded by ambulance chasing legal firms informing you that you are due compensation for back / head neck injury and they keep on pestering you for years
    Free takeaways every Friday night for a year sounds a reasonable compensation as well :)
  • too many friendly people on here. Report accident to your insurers & let them deal with it. Why let the other guy get away with it...........next time it could be fatal !!
  • too many friendly people on here. Report accident to your insurers & let them deal with it. Why let the other guy get away with it...........next time it could be fatal !!

Because it costs a lot of money in the long run, accidents happen. Fortunately this was a minor one where nobody was harmed. I imagine this will be enough of a kick up the arse for the bloke involved to pay attention in future
  • How would going through insurance stop him killing someone in the future?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2015

too many friendly people on here. Report accident to your insurers & let them deal with it. Why let the other guy get away with it...........next time it could be fatal !!

This.

There is no guarantee that the chap will pay. If you don't report it and he refused to pay it might be too late to report it. His insurance company might allow him to pay it himself, but your insurance company is likely to refuse to help you if you don't report it in a reasonable time.

Also lying on a future insurance proposal about an accident is just as likely to get you into trouble if you didn't make an official claim, and I assume the garage you get it repaired at will have a record of the accident - or at least the repair.
  • Cheers all.

Spoke to my mate and I'm going down tomorrow to get it priced. I'll be dropping the quote round in the afternoon and if he gets funny then I'm going full pelt with my insurance company. Whiplash the lot.
  • My mother in law got rear ended by a Bulgarian lorry driver on the M25 a couple of weeks ago. She's adamant he did it deliberately because she wouldn't let him cut in. Claimed he couldn't speak any English so she called the police, who didn't want to know. Took his registration details but no company name on the lorry, didn't like to tell her she's got zero chance of having any luck claiming on his insurance.

She should have claimed she had a neck injury, then the filth would have had to get involved. Still probably would have had little luck with the other guy's insurance, though.
  • Cheers all.

Spoke to my mate and I'm going down tomorrow to get it priced. I'll be dropping the quote round in the afternoon and if he gets funny then I'm going full pelt with my insurance company. Whiplash the lot.

Don't claim for whiplash, you've already admitted on here that they're both fine.
  • Cheers all.

Don't claim for whiplash, you've already admitted on here that they're both fine.
    Are you going to tell on me then?
  • if you leave this till tomorrow and then notify your insurers (plus whiplash etc) that will look far too dodgy, especially with no record of visit to A&E etc

you need to do something on this today IMO, either notify insurers or he needs to pay up
  • Totally agree regarding today.
  • Right. Got the quote and told the fella......... He's now going through his insurance!

I've now informed my insurance company for good measure. We'll see what happens.
    Thanks again everyone
  • Right. Got the quote and told the fella......... He's now going through his insurance!

I've now informed my insurance company for good measure. We'll see what happens.
    Thanks again everyone

No real surprise there. Anyone looking to do something a "bit iffy", is unlikely to be reliable.

Thanks again everyone

Right. Got the quote and told the fella......... He's now going through his insurance!

Thanks again everyone

No probs Carly Bum