Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Could this be the reason why Halford played so poorly on Saturday?

edited March 2008 in Rumours
Taken from the Riscardo Pink Oboe List...

'Been told this evening that Greg Halford suffered a death to someone close to him last week.
A friend saw him distraught in the dug out being comforted by fellow players and staff. He was wearing a black arm band on Saturday.

All the best Greg and very brave to play on Saturday...'

If that's the case, I have every sympathy with Greg Halford for his loss. But if true, Pardew should never have picked him.

Comments

• I noticed the armband too.
    Thought it must've been a personal thing - sounds like it was :o(
  • I have no sympathy at all, at his loss i do, - as a professional he should have either got on with it or told Pardew he wasn't in the right frame of mind to play
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]I have no sympathy at all, at his loss i do, - as a professional he should have either got on with it or told Pardew he wasn't in the right frame of mind to play[/quote]fuk me that's a bit harsh maybe he thought he could handle it or it was the person who passed away for him to play either way if it is true make him more of a man than u ledge good luck to you Greg and maybe we should lift him rather than get on his back
  • booing probs didnt help then. well theres a first time for everything.
  • Thoughts with Greg and family. However, from a footballing point of view, I'd imagine the conversation between Pards and Halford to have been similar to that at most other companies in this country.

Pards: "I'm really sorry to hear about your loss Greg"
    Halford: "Thanks boss"
    Pards: "Take some time off if you need it. Friday, Saturday and Sunday... I've got someone I can bring in to cover your workload"
    Halford: "Thanks but I'd rather come in and work... something to take my mind off it"
    Pards: "I understand. Let me know if you change your mind"

How many of us have done it? Come in to work, seeking a distraction, but our mind hasnt been fully on the job...?
  • Puts it into perspective! He did have a shocker and I must admit I would if I were him being booed and having a shocker I would probably have walked off the pitch and told the fans where to stick it!

I still like the guy (though maybe as a winger as opposed to a RB)

He'll bounce back
  • I'll make you right Swisdom, I think he is a good footballer but maybe right back isn't his best position.

Medders has probably got the situation bang on, last thing you need when you have grief like that is a couple of bad games then the valley of anxiety on your back.

Don't think I'd play too well if that was the case
  • He is just a poor footballer. Like so many these days he got into football not through his skill but because of physical attruibutes, in his case because he is 6ft 4 and has a long throw. Moo2 got dropped for one mistake at Scunthorpe. Halford is a mistake but keeps his place because pardew has a long throw as his only tactical weapon!
  • moo2 made a clanger against leicester as well i thought with his non jump when the towering clemence scored with a header
  • [cite]Posted By: KenTred[/cite]He is just a poor footballer.

Of course, he's not.

His performance against Palace confirmed he has enough ability to perform well - at least at Championship level.

Many players are confidence players - when things are going well for them and their team, they just get better and better.

When things go wrong - the team is on a poor run, many players become afraid to hold on to possession for fear of making a mistake, lunge in and snatch at the ball - and then the harder they try the worse it gets.

And that's without any personal emotional issues or suffering bereavement.
  • Sponsored links:

• the guy isnt much of a defender, I think that's been pretty clear from the off. Shame.
  • Well, that probably does explain a lot, and confirms my opinion that the booing was well out of order- I know some people weren't booing him as an individual but more because it epitomised the 'long ball' style of play, but even so the lad hasn't done much to be picked out in this way - I can think of permanent players who've put in less effort. Also agree with Oohaah that Moo2 is every bit as prone to defensive howlers. Let's try supporting Greg through this, as I'm sure there is a footballer in there trying to get out!
  • [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite] Let's try supporting Greg through this, as I'm sure there is a footballer in there trying to get out!

Good words, Weegie.

After all, aren't we supposed to be "supporters".......?
  • Greg Halford has moved for millions we unfortunatly have not seen the best of him when at Colchester loads were looking at him and reading paid big money for him as did sunderland.

If this is true then i can understand the poor performance against Preston and he did look astounded that there was sections booing him, I have to say i was embarrsed by the booing of the man do we really think that it helps No it can not boo at the end if you are pissed off dont boo individuals during the match cos you are just as bad as they are .
  • [cite]Posted By: WhenIwasLittleBoy[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]I have no sympathy at all, at his loss i do, - as a professional he should have either got on with it or told Pardew he wasn't in the right frame of mind to play
    fuk me that's a bit harsh maybe he thought he could handle it or it was the person who passed away for him to play either way if it is true make him more of a man than u ledge good luck to you Greg and maybe we should lift him rather than get on his back

Maybe a bit harsh but also fair - if it was a close relative, and it obviously was, he shouldn't have played SIMPLE AS. Enough people are having hissy fits over our performances as it is without outside factors affecting them as well. We have Moo2oo who could easily have played.
  • edited March 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Valley_McMoist : Taken from the Riscardo Pink Oboe List...
    [/cite]

The Pink Oboe list has nothing to do with moi ...
  • [cite]Posted By: Riscardo[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Valley_McMoist : Taken from the Riscardo Pink Oboe List...
    [/cite]
    [cite][/cite]

The Pink Oboe list has nothing to do with moi ...

I know it doesn't but that's what you usually refer to it as, don't you?
  • Nobody wants to give anybody a hard time when they're grieving but if a player hasn't got the maturity to decide whether he can perform after a tragedy the decision should be taken out of his hands. I've been really harsh on Greg (the leg break comment was stupid) mainly because he showed so much in his first game and has been so abysmal since. If he needs time off then he should take it and the club should support him but he shouldn't be anywhere near a reserve game let alone the first team until he's got the demons out of his system.

S.
  • Rumours are that Gray also has some family problems.
  • edited March 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: WhenIwasLittleBoy[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]I have no sympathy at all, at his loss i do, - as a professional he should have either got on with it or told Pardew he wasn't in the right frame of mind to play
    fuk me that's a bit harsh maybe he thought he could handle it or it was the person who passed away for him to play either way if it is true make him more of a man than u ledge good luck to you Greg and maybe we should lift him rather than get on his back

Maybe a bit harsh but also fair - if it was a close relative, and it obviously was, he shouldn't have played SIMPLE AS. Enough people are having hissy fits over our performances as it is without outside factors affecting them as well. We have Moo2oo who could easily have played.

We have to get a few things into prospective here, one he is new to the club and will need time to settle as people do, two if he has suffered a tradgey be it a member of his family or a close friend it is going to be tough, please do bear in mind he is only a kid and maybe he feels he didnt want to let the team down, finally moo2oo hasnt exactly been doing the business, give hte bloke a chance, and why not encourage him rather than slag him off, there are alot worse players who have consistantly let us down who still dont get half the amount stick if any than what HAlford recieved on Saturday, by giving the guy a load of verbal, is it going to make him play any better, or are the little confidence he has got are u going to shot pieces, support the club, be vocal and proud, and stop an old whinge bag
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 2008
    I take your point mate - -he's 23 he's hardly a kid..but I stand by what i say I never booed him on the day I have never ever done that to a player no matter how bad.

same could be said of your ambrose opinion to be honest and they are the same age
  • Personally i didn't think that Halford was much worse than anyone else on saturday. He could be criticised for using the long ball too much however how often did someone from the midfield make themselves available for a pass?

I was watching this fairly closely and the the answer is not very often.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]I take your point mate - -he's 23 he's hardly a kid..but I stand by what i say I never booed him on the day I have never ever done that to a player no matter how bad.

same could be said of your ambrose opinion to be honest and they are the same age[/quote]

at 23 i woulld still say he is learning the game, and i would class him as a kid/ young man
  • so why your apathy and disdain towards Ambrose who is the same age.
  • 23 years old is not generally regarded as mature & experienced in the real world.
    It's certainly no different in footballing terms.

Give the guy a chance.
  • who ambrose?
  • Most players reach their prime physically about 26, their mind will always continue learning their trade and as they get older they get more "cute". Both Ambrose and Halford are far from the finished articles, only freaks like Rooney, Ronaldo and fabrecas are consistantly brilliant at such a young age.

In three or four years time they will be completely different players or plying their trade outside the top flight.
  • I actually disagree a bit on the age thing. Of course know-how comes with experience, but if one of a players main attributes is his pace, then 22-24 will probably be when he is at his peak.

After that, the accumulation of either niggles or serious injuries will take their toll and they may lose that edge they had. Michael Owen is a decent example of that.
  • As I said elsewhere, Halford looked deverstated during the warm down, so that might have been the final straw in the afternoon
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]so why your apathy and disdain towards Ambrose who is the same age.[/quote] Because he does feck all in a game,he doesnt even try, not guts or bottle,