Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

ronnie get's 147

o'sullivan just got a maximum break......£ 157k in the bin... it's all about the money in sport now!!

Comments

• that all..........
  • he is quality eh.

i think it deserves that money - that is some skill to do that break.
  • i bet he will get lagging tonight do a bit of nicky and go out next round
  • Ronnie is different class, no doubt about it. Another Genius/Madman candidate for sure though!
  • "i bet he will get lagging tonight do a bit of nicky and go out next round"

So would I!
  • Ronnie O'Sullivan - the George Best of snooker,
  • he said he's gonna buy a new bentley or something like that
  • "he said he's gonna buy a new bentley or something like that"

Yeah, he'll make bloody sure he's got a bullseye in change for "supplies"
  • edited April 2008
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Ronnie O'Sullivan - the George Best of snooker,
    or the WIWLB of the Charlton Life Forum
  • Sponsored links:

• what's Nicky?
  • Nicky Lauda = Powder..............
  • [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Ronnie O'Sullivan - the George Best of snooker,

Nope westside- that honour has to go to Alex Higgins....

More talented as well......... And that is saying something!
  • I don't think Alex was more talented than Ronnie.
    I am not saying I'm an expert but I have been watching snooker a long time.
    Without doubt imo Stephen Hendry is the best of the moderen era and indeed all time according to the likes of Clive Everton.
    My favourite was Steve Davis. He changed the game so much and was a winner, in the Faldo mould.
    However for pure raw talent no one gets near Ronnie, if he wasn't so flawed then he would be the greatest ever. But then without his complex make up he probably wouldn't be the player he is.
  • edited April 2008
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Ronnie O'Sullivan - the George Best of snooker,

Stanmore/Lou beat me to it. A true hellraiser and mentalist of the highest order, Higgins that is. Although Ronnie is a nutter also and one who makes silly phallus jokes to bemused Chinese journalists.
  • Fantastic, Ronnie is one of my sporting legends in the modern era... a sandwich short of a picnic but if anything is measured by a natural god-given genius then only sportsmen such as Tiger/Phil Taylor etc. currently come under the same bracket

Still see him in my local and the area when I'm back at home - top lad
  • hendry just got 14 reds and 14 blacks missed a toughish red...
    that would've meant ronnie having to split his £157k if hendry had equalled it, in a sick way that would've been funny!!
  • [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]I don't think Alex was more talented than Ronnie.
    I am not saying I'm an expert but I have been watching snooker a long time.
    Without doubt imo Stephen Hendry is the best of the moderen era and indeed all time according to the likes of Clive Everton.
    My favourite was Steve Davis. He changed the game so much and was a winner, in the Faldo mould.
    However for pure raw talent no one gets near Ronnie, if he wasn't so flawed then he would be the greatest ever. But then without his complex make up he probably wouldn't be the player he is.

Agree with everything you say Chirps- except the Higgins/ O'Sullivan conclusion.

All of your description of O'Sullivan could be used to describle Higgins...
  • Jimmy White runs Ronnie and Alex close in my opinion.

Agree with Chirpy about Steve Davis.
  • Sponsored links:

• carter just got a 147 poor old ronnie's got to split the £157k....lol...... peter ebdon nearly got one in the previous frame with 15 reds and 14 blacks
  • A great player yes, but I can't bring myself to like him. I'm put off by all the Hammers fans shouting, "Gooo on Ronnie". Makes my flesh crawl.
  • The guy must be the most brilliant player ever - he's just stopped after potting a red and a black to check the prize for a 147 in the World Open... only to be told there was no special prize for it so he just calmly went on and did it anyway - genius! That's his 10th 147 and is a record, beating Stephen Hendry's 9.
  • no the reason he was gonna leave the last black was sort of out of protest that there was nothing for a 147 (just the £4k for the highest break), the referee made him pot the last black as the frame isn't technically over until the ref says so. (told him to do it for his fans or something)

Barry Hearn was on Talksport and said they no longer give massive prizes for 147's cause they are more common place, bit like the 9 darter (used to get £100k for one of those) they are happening far more often.
  • The fella is so talented its a joke but at the same time he is such a grade A c*** its a joke ......he is so far stuck up his talented confused arse he should come support charlton and pretend everything is rosey in la la charlton land
  • edited September 2010
  • Am with you there OohAhh. Just watched poor old Ronnie talking about how he would only get 4k for the 147 so was'nt worth it & only did it cos the ref told him to do it for the fans. He went on to have a go at Barry Hearn saying he was supposed to be putting more money into the sport not takng it away.

Oh get over yourself you stupid eejit. If it was'nt for Barry Hearn your supposed sport would fade away to nothing & you'd end up scrapping a living playing exhibition stuff.

Theres a recession ffs. Dont go moaning on national tv that you think you're too good for 4k. Give it to charity then if it means so little to you.

Tw@t!

Sorry, rant over.
  • Please dont confuse snooker and darts with 'sport'!
  • [cite]Posted By: Elthamaddick[/cite]no the reason he was gonna leave the last black was sort of out of protest that there was nothing for a 147 (just the £4k for the highest break), the referee made him pot the last black as the frame isn't technically over until the ref says so. (told him to do it for his fans or something)

Barry Hearn was on Talksport and said they no longer give massive prizes for 147's cause they are more common place, bit like the 9 darter (used to get £100k for one of those) they are happening far more often.

I'm not talking about the last black, I'm talking about earlier in the frame.

By the way, I agree with the comments about his "personality" - not someone I would want to spend an evening in the pub with, but undeniably one of the greats.

I also agree with Bibble - snooker isn't a sport. Someone start a new thread please "when is a sport not a sport".
  • Think I agree with Ronnie on this one.

Think of the time and dedication it has taken to perfect that natural talent and £4k for that level of skill and entertainment is a pittance in relative terms. Couple of grand after tax.

Lots of money to most of us but think of the money he generates in tv revenue and for the sponsors and the organisers when he turns up to play so i think he has a point when others will be making a mint off his skill.

When you think of what the average championship and some 3rd division footballers earn for sitting on the bench at some clubs and being average or mediocre players i can see why someone who is world class at another sport/ game gets the hump for getting paid a relative pittance for doing something similar to scoring a hat trick in a cup final.