Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rugby v Football

I find the media coverage of the incidents in New Zealand reflect the difference in the attitude that the press have towards the two sports. If this had been football, there would have been no anonymity for the players, we all would know their names by now. The team would be slated for losing the equivalent of 5-0 and then going out a shagged all night,

Comments

• [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]I find the media coverage of the incidents in New Zealand reflect the difference in the attitude that the press have towards the two sports. If this had been football, there would have been no anonymity for the players, we all would know their names by now. The team would be slated for losing the equivalent of 5-0 and then going out a shagged all night,

Exactly!

And no one is discussing the England team because it is losing.
  • [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]I find the media coverage of the incidents in New Zealand reflect the difference in the attitude that the press have towards the two sports. If this had been football, there would have been no anonymity for the players, we all would know their names by now. The team would be slated for losing the equivalent of 5-0 and then going out a shagged all night,

This is partly a class thing, with working class oiks like footballers generating tut-tut-tut headlines, while rugby players are supposed/allowed to misbehave, but football has a much higher profile than rugby in the UK, so you'd expect it to generate bigger headlines, particularly as the tabloid press know that sensationalist headlines regarding the beviour of football players will make bigger news than rugger boys behaving badly. More so when some lazy hack makes the easy point about footballers earning £50/60K or whatever a week. Saying that with a big international coming up the players should have been under some kind of curfew (and if not it should have been self-imposed) and I suspect a few members of the English rugby squad may find themselves subjected to fines in the near future regardless of whether the allegations have any merit. Last season Danny Cipriani was dropped for a game for ignoring a curfew prior to an international. But to announce any fines/suspensions now or before yesterday's match would rather give the game away regarding who the accused were...

As to whether they should be named, innocence until guilt has been proven extends to all, including sportsmen in any code or sport. I'm sure the names of the accused are out there somewhere in cyberspace, but I don't particularly want to know who they are until any charges have been made.
  • And no one is discussing the England team because it is losing.

They sent a weak squad to play the All Blacks and as expected lost. No surprise there...
  • [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]As to whether they should be named, innocence until guilt has been proven extends to all, including sportsmen in any code or sport. I'm sure the names of the accused are out there somewhere in cyberspace, but I don't particularly want to know who they are until any charges have been made.

Its not that I want the to be named but if they had been footballers, they would have been.

[cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]They sent a weak squad to play the All Blacks and as expected lost. No surprise there.

Agreed, but then Sven put a weak team out against Australia and got slaughtered for it.
  • what they supposed to have done, its all very hush hush, which in many ways is very annoying as the footballers would of got slaughtered! Also another thing that annoys me is the lack of coverage of all the kick offs at the euro 2008 between the germans and poles, just gets a small mention unless its the english!!
  • to true mate.
  • [cite]Posted By: MCS[/cite]what they supposed to have done, its all very hush hush, which in many ways is very annoying as the footballers would of got slaughtered! Also another thing that annoys me is the lack of coverage of all the kick offs at the euro 2008 between the germans and poles, just gets a small mention unless its the english!!

The reason why I never buy tabloids.
  • algarve, your right on the money there, i never buy any form of newspaper either
  • edited June 2008
    Once the players are back the four will be named if only to stop those not involved being tainted with innuendo.

If you remember the Leicester City players (Dickov, Frank Sinclair etc) weren't named until the tour was over just to take a similar example.