Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

20/20 Kent v Essex at Beckenham on Sunday

Anyone else going. Just got my ground tickets.

Been to a few county games but never 20/20 and this will be my boys first taste of the summer sport.

What is the etiquette of these 20/20 games? Is a blazer optional and do I have to bring a picnic?

Comments

• Just get bladdered, build some snakes with empty pint glasses, annoy the stewards and when you get bored of that watch a bit of 'cricket'

Thats what happens in my 20/20 experiences ;-)

So I reckon you'll be ok.
  • Been to Beckenham last two years. Lots of bar tents, burger bars etc., Etiquette is go as you like, jeans, shorts and t shirt, even colours - charlton or kent. Watched most of my cricket at Oval or other test grounds where visually picking up the ball is easy, bit more difficult at Beckenham. If weather is good kids will enjoy, if old enough take their bat ball and stumps. May go, but doubt it. Parking is reasonable around the ground.
  • Yup, myself Heroin and Chunes will all be in attendance. Just hope the weather holds out.
  • Where's a good place in the ground to watch the game from?

Don't know if I can be bothered to carry a bat and stumps around all day to be honest.
  • whats the nearest train station as well?
  • Got my tickets a while ago. Only thing is weather forecast for Sunday is heavy rain...oh no!!!
  • Just around the pavillion, 1st year sat near the "dug out" quite fun watching players return from losing their wicket, or opposite side of ground where seats are just on a mound and next to bars.
  • Ill be there with Mr Harley.
    Also going tomorrow night v Middlesex
  • edited June 2008
    Got my tickets yesterday. Taking Barn Door Junior.
  • Got tickets, weather looks shite though
  • Sponsored links:

• [quote][cite]Posted By: The Equaliser[/cite]Just get bladdered, build some snakes with empty pint glasses, annoy the stewards and when you get bored of that watch a bit of 'cricket'

Thats what happens in my 20/20 experiences ;-)

So I reckon you'll be ok.[/quote]

Then after the game finishes go to a local pub drink another 5 pints and start singing we sent the Palace down at which point a fight breaks out. Well that's what happened last time I went to Beckenham and yes I'm planning to go Sunday.
  • Going to the game tonight. Bit of luck the weather is ok, the beer is flowing and the Kent boys get the 2 points.
  • if we lose we're out.
  • There are still 5 games to go in the league. Top 2 from each div, then the two best 3rd placed teams go into the quarters.
  • [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]if we lose we're out.

But about time Middlesex lost, they have played five games and had five wins so far.
  • Going to both, though Sundays weather forecast isn't looking too clever!
  • Sunday's weather forecast seems to be continually changing. Seems to be mainly dry, with the chance of light showers at the moment.
  • I'm sure they said it was going to rain all last weekend but it was quite nice, hopefully they're wrong again.
  • Game did not start till 7.35, due to persistant rain from 5.15. 8 overs each with Kent taking the 2 points. The beer was flowing, with the Masterbrew going down very well. Hope the weather holds for anyone that is going on sunday.
  • The Twenty20 Cup: South Division

Pos Team p W L T N/R R/R Pts
    1 Middlesex 6 5 1 0 0 1.11 10.0
    2 Essex 6 4 2 0 0 0.7 8.0
    3 Kent 6 4 2 0 0 0.01 8.0
    4 Hants 6 3 3 0 0 -0.64 6.0
    5 Surrey 6 1 5 0 0 -1.12 2.0
    6 Sussex 6 1 5 0 0 -0.01 2.0

All to play for still. Kent can go second if they beat Essex.

Now this Cricket lark, it's the same as baseball but with only two bases, right?
  • Sponsored links:

• Shame about the weather yesterday..i hope it's better on sunday.One for the anoraks out there,one of last nights umpires was Martin Bodenham the ex-football referee...i wonder if his eyesight has improved?
  • I know you can take a cricket bat with you and go and have a whack on the outfield,but can you take a football?My littlen cant find his cricket bat,and now wants to take a football.
  • edited June 2008
    yeah you can take a football as there is plenty of space for a kickabout behind the beer tents etc.I dont think they will mind
  • you've just made a little boy very happy,what about taking your own booze in.We are getting there for gates opening so i got to keep a 6 year old amused for 2 hours.
  • edited June 2008
    Watch out for a highly confused tall gangling fella accompanying a bewildered litle lad carrying a baseball bat and pitchers mit.
    It'll be Henry and his lad Joe!!
  • what about your own booze anyone know,it's been a few years since i last went to watch kent.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]you've just made a little boy very happy,what about taking your own booze in.We are getting there for gates opening so i got to keep a 6 year old amused for 2 hours.[/quote]

I always take a bag in with a bottle of wine and a glass in it and all I can say is I've never had a problem, however I know they do look in the odd bag here and there, though what they do if they find booze I couldn't say.
  • Kent beat Essex by 81 runs, Denly scores a rapid 91 off 57. I'm just gutted I didn't get to go due to work commitments. I'm sure those that went had a good day out?
  • Yeah a good day. My Joe and NSS's Joe had a kick about and went onto the outfield afterwards before being chased off.

Easy win in the end for Kent as Essex never looked like matching their run rate after the first two overs and the wickets fell on a regular basis. Denly it was (I think) hit three six off the first three balls of an over. Inevitably he was caught going for a fourth. he got man of the match and Middlesex lost so all is good with the world.

I now have a slightly sunburnt face and Joe has a Spitfires polo shirt (£10 bargain!)

One downer was the announcer referring to the South End as the "Crystal Palace" end. Shocking. Where's Derek Ufton's phone number.