Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Does footballers wages....

really give you the hump or not really bother you.The fact that some players earn more in a week, than most people earn in four or five years average wage. Although i think it's ridiculous money,it only really bugs me when i see a real lack of effort and passion in a performance. What do you think ?

Comments

• not really bothered.
  • Depends who you are watching.

Last season when the mighty CAFC PLAYED away i visited Shrewsbury,Brentford,Barnet,Rochdale,Dagenham,Bromley,Woking,Ramsgate,Aldershot,Mansfield and some other lower league fixtures, most enjoyable and also affordable, no superstars and no high wage earners.

Also met some great footy fans saw some great commited footy and visited some great pubs.

But i know what you mean.
  • dont bother me at all you get what your given and in this day and age it means cack loads,
  • Good luck to them, they will only get whats best for them, if my boss decided he wanted to keep me and offered me double or triple my wages, to keep me from moving to a rival company, I'd be stupid to turn it down, who'd turn it down on principal?
  • It only gives me the hump when players give it the billy big bollox and act like c****,i won't mention any names but there may be a few chelsea players involved
  • Good luck to them. Most, I guess, would never earn their levels of salary if they had proper jobs like the rest of us. I envy their talent but I'm never jealous of other people’s wealth.
  • not as such as the city boy's wages and bonuses - at least i enjoy what the footballers do and it entertains me.
  • It's not the wages that bug me, but what they've done to the game making it more expensive for fans to watch and attendances have suffered. The other thing is the attitude of people like Ashley Cole getting the hump because he was only offered £55k or whatever it was a week.
  • no issue with the players at all, good luck to them, its the greed of the agents and the lack of unity of the chairman that allowed them to get to this extreme in the first place that annoy me.
  • they are in an entertainment business now and it's a short career a career that could be cut short through 1 bad tackle. No one has issues with the likes of actors , musicians earning shed loads yet are proably some of the worst roles models around yet, especially musicians, - so good luck to them as well.
  • Sponsored links:

• If the players who provide the so called entertainment then some dodgy chairman would
  • [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]they are in an entertainment business now and it's a short career a career that could be cut short through 1 bad tackle. No one has issues with the likes of actors , musicians earning shed loads yet are proably some of the worst roles models around yet, especially musicians, - so good luck to them as well.

I would go a little further and say it is class thing as well. How dare a working class kid mix in the rarefied air of the tradition rich?
    Although it is clear that a lot of footballers show no class what so ever.
  • Top level players (ie probably around 50 across Europe) probably earn what is fair, that goes from within the sport and if you compare it to other professional sports. What I object to is how much the 'average' player earns and when you see some clubs reportedly paying certain, what I would consider poor players, X amount. All clubs must be guilty of this, including ours.
  • edited June 2008
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]not as such as the city boy's wages and bonuses -

Drink our champagne though don't you? ;-)
  • The annoying thing is when clubs go to the wall for the price of John Terry's monthly take home.

In the past greedy chairmen benefitted during the era of the maximum wage, instead of the entertainers providing the football getting what they deserved. And some chairmen kept pocketing the dosh when their clubs were averaging 40,000, and not doing anything to improve the stadium etc (wonder who that was then...).

Now it has gone too far the other way, with SO much money coming into football at the top, more should be done to help those at the bottom, and please don't use the business argument, most of the top clubs are well into the red because of the amounts they decide to spend on/pay players.

Also the "short career" thing. If I had a five year career, at £100,000 a week, I could live with that - no, honest, I would struggle by in luxury for the rest of my life, hard as it might be.
  • But you'd only spend it on new smoke extractors for the bar Algarve!
  • You think I would be running a bar with that kind of dosh Martin...