Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Karl Robinson (Ed. Page 79 - GONE- Mutual Consent)

edited March 2018 in General Charlton
The 36-year old arrives at The Valley on a two-and-a-half-year deal

Charlton Athletic are delighted to confirm the appointment of Karl Robinson as the club’s new Manager.

The highly-rated 36-year-old, who led Milton Keynes Dons to automatic promotion to the Sky Bet Championship 18 months ago, has signed a two-and-a-half-year contract at The Valley. Robinson will take full control of the club from Monday.

Robinson said: “I am honoured to have been appointed Manager of Charlton and can’t wait to get started.

“Joining such a huge club with a large, passionate fanbase is a really exciting proposition.

“I’ve inherited a talented squad and I’ll be doing everything I can to get the club back into the Championship as soon as possible.

“I like my teams to play attractive football and if we all pull together, I firmly believe we can start moving up the table and enjoy a successful season.”

Charlton CEO Katrien Meire said: “Following a thorough appointment process, Karl emerged as the outstanding candidate. He is a very talented, forward-thinking Manager and I’m delighted we have been able to bring him to Charlton.

“Our main focus is bringing Championship football back to The Valley at the earliest opportunity. Karl has vast experience of League One and, having won promotion just two seasons ago, we believe he has the necessary credentials and is best equipped to lead the club forward.

“Throughout his time with MK Dons, Karl received tremendous acclaim throughout the game for the attractive football his teams played and his approach to developing young players. This is an exciting appointment for us."

Prior to commencing his role with MK Dons in 2010, Robinson coached at Liverpool’s Academy before taking on a role with Blackburn Rovers’ first team.

During more than six years at Stadium MK, he led the team to successive fifth-place finishes, before securing second place and promotion to the Championship for the first time in the club’s history in 2014/15.

Earlier that season, Robinson masterminded arguably MK Dons’ most famous victory – a 4-0 League Cup rout of Manchester United.

Robinson will watch his new side train for the first time at the club's Sparrows Lane training ground today. Details of his first press conference as Manager will be announced in due course.

Comments

• Sponsored links:

• Lets hope we do to Sheff Utd what Swindon did to us with their new Manager bounce (Unless that was Tuesday)
  • going cheltenham again next year might see him there with the sqaud on a piss up again, dont think hell do much good, would be suprised to see him here at the end of the season
  • more enthused about KR than I was Brussell. Can't believe KM never mentioned 'we have learnt from our mistakes'.
    Welcome Karl and good luck, you are going to need it.

Having watched us in action both last Saturday and on Tuesday I can only think that he isn't in charge on Saturday only because they don't want his reign to start on a protest match day.

Nugent has probably already started the planning for the Sheffield game, and having only watched the side once and only watching training for the first time today I'd imagine they'd want the continuity of Nugent, as its a big game. Plus we lose it and Robinson steps in afterwards, and has an FA Cup game as a game to try and implement his ideas
  • We have a return of the word mastermind which is funny.
    Getting a bit boring though, can we please have a different word, such as 'sage' or 'guru' or even 'big cheese' (provided it's vegetarian)?
  • Sponsored links:

• sam3110 said:

more enthused about KR than I was Brussell. Can't believe KM never mentioned 'we have learnt from our mistakes'.
    Welcome Karl and good luck, you are going to need it.

Having watched us in action both last Saturday and on Tuesday I can only think that he isn't in charge on Saturday only because they don't want his reign to start on a protest match day.

Nugent has probably already started the planning for the Sheffield game, and having only watched the side once and only watching training for the first time today I'd imagine they'd want the continuity of Nugent, as its a big game. Plus we lose it and Robinson steps in afterwards, and has an FA Cup game as a game to try and implement his ideas
    twice, but I take your point although it is unusual not to take charge immediately

• I thought we started "moving up the table" when we won the last two games, but clearly we are in a post-truth world.

Too soon for some of us still coming to grips with the outcome of said world. Too soon.
  • Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
  • Assuming he does not take control until Monday his first game will be against M.K.Dons in the cup.
  • Good luck Karl. You'll need it.
  • So.. gone by March?