Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Dillon Phillips (Cardiff sending him on loan to Belgium p36)

Very impressed by him - looks confident, a good shot stopper and some impressive distribution. Just hope we dont sell him.

Excellent today....

Comments

• He has the throw of Schmeichel. I want to see it in every game.
  • He can have a throw like Geoff Capes! Providing he keeps the ball out of the net then he is a winner in my books
  • Very impressed by him - looks confident, a good shot stopper and some impressive distribution. Just hope we dont sell him.

Excellent today....

I agree. Very confident, and looks to me, at the moment to be a much better prosect than Nick Pope.
  • Think Pope might have the potential to be more commanding in the box and also make saves few others can, but Phillips seems to be more reliable and with excellent distribution.
  • Leuth said:

He has the throw of Schmeichel. I want to see it in every game.

I love that massive throw out in the second half it's not just having the ability to do it that matters but having the mind set to want to do it, to set things up quickly
  • Elliot, Randolph and Pope were not as good as this lad so early. I'm very impressed. His distribution is top notch and will have impressed Robinson who likes his goalkeeper to be expansive. Can't see any obvious weakness to his game so far.

Only thing is he seems pretty short and I haven't seen him come and collect crosses, but Deano never did....
  • He'll be in the Burnley reserves pretty soon.
  • sam3110 said:

Elliot, Randolph and Pope were not as good as this lad so early. I'm very impressed. His distribution is top notch and will have impressed Robinson who likes his goalkeeper to be expansive. Can't see any obvious weakness to his game so far.

Only thing is he seems pretty short and I haven't seen him come and collect crosses, but Deano never did....
    6 foot 2 according to Wikipedia so tall enough
  • Sponsored links:

• Has been our man of the match in every start so far, Bristol Rovers included. Exceptional talent.
  • edited December 2016
    Doesn't come out for crosses on set pieces to be honest, although he has impressed me massively
  • Love the way he only uses that exceptional throw when he sees a genuine opportunity - he doesn't just keep hurling it so it becomes predictable. By all accounts he's an exceptionally nice lad too - they were very praiseworthy at Cheltenham about his all round character as well as his ability. In a U-21 game v Palarse he also made one of only a handful of saves that will stay with me for ever.
  • sam3110 said:

Elliot, Randolph and Pope were not as good as this lad so early. I'm very impressed. His distribution is top notch and will have impressed Robinson who likes his goalkeeper to be expansive. Can't see any obvious weakness to his game so far.

6 foot 2 according to Wikipedia so tall enough
    Doesn't look it, if you know what I mean. I'd liken him to a young Paul Robinson right now, in the way he plays
  • Apparently the Cheltenham fans rated him higher than Jack Butland. Seems a nice lad and looks very capable in this division.
  • Doesn't come out for crosses on set pieces to be honest, although he has impressed me massively

Agree with this. Hopefully he will become more confident / dominant in six yard box with time. Otherwise it is a weakness which will be targeted.
  • Doesn't come out for crosses on set pieces to be honest, although he has impressed me massively

Agree with this. Hopefully he will become more confident / dominant in six yard box with time. Otherwise it is a weakness which will be targeted.
    Hamerton didn't come out enough but other areas of his game were more thand good enough to compensate. Same with Deano and plenty of other keepers. If any keeper has all aspects of their game they won't be at Charlton.
  • Looks like Robinson is going to have a difficult decision to make shortly when Rudd returns to fitness.

• Sponsored links:

• We were discussing this on the train home. Unless Rudd has a clause in his loan agreement stating he must play if fit, I can't see how KR can drop him. Top performance today.
  • His name would suggest he should be qualified for Wales. And as they aren't exactly blessed with an abundance of keepers I would suggest that Southgate gives him an U21 cap sooner rather than later.
  • I've been very impressed with Dillon. He seems solid as a rock.
  • Dillon has waited a long time to get his chance! He deserves it and will keep Rudd out on his form!
  • Not meant to be a pop at Pope but for all the hype when he got near the first team at The Valley he froze and was for a good few games at least a liability. Dillon has strolled into his Charlton first team career looking bloody solid.

Maybe he gained a lot of confidence at Cheltenham last season when they won their league.
  • uie2 said:

Dillon has waited a long time to get his chance! He deserves it and will keep Rudd out on his form!

The issue is that KR has quite openly said Rudd is the best keeper in this division. You can't say that and then leave him out.

I can see Rudd coming back in but Phillips will surely be given a pay rise and told he'll be number 1 next season to keep him sweet.
  • I think Phillips looks the real deal and Rudd may be or may be soon the 2nd best keeper in the league.
  • Phillips is solid. He does need to command his back four better but that's a minor critique. You never feel in danger with him. I walked away yesterday wondering if they'll be tempted to send Rudd back. If they do though they'll still need suitable cover.