Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

ParkRun / Running Thread

Any lifers enjoy taking part? I'm a regular at Chelmsford Central where a runner was displaying a Charlton shirt. Good to see!

Comments

• I stick to road running mate and I do my 10km every morning a 4am, before anyone else is awake apart ftom the blind milkman
  • edited September 2017
    Did the one at the seafront at Whitstable a few times when I lived over that way - good run and a great setup, Parkrun is a brilliant idea.

Now live a bit far from any and are busy playing with my kids in the morning, plus I'd take twice as long these days!
  • Have been thinking about starting a general running thread on here for a little while.
    I took up running as a form of exercise a few months ago and did Beckenham Place ParkRun a couple of times in August.
    Very flat course, though I understand they're going to change it in the not-too-distant future to include some of the hills.
  • I've hardly done any this year but am on 175 runs at 83 different locations. I had planned to get past 100 this year but got lazy, last one was in Paris about 6 weeks ago
  • Did one in Tunbridge Wells and one in Calgary - great concept. Just did a 10km this morning - the Terry Fox run for cancer research/awareness - was a bit too slow for my liking. Only recently started running having never done it seriously in the past - quite enjoy it & my times are gradually improving.
  • Do the Avery hill one every now and again. Should do it every week.
  • I do the Parkrun at Alexandra Park every sat. Always organised well and by volunteers
  • I'm hoping to start running again soonish. Leg affected by cellulosis willing. My aim is a tri in the next year or so.
  • Tonbridge one for me. Probably run it every other week.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2017
    Was running 40 miles a week on average for the part of 5 years up until last years London Marathon. Had what I thought was tight hip flexors in the run up but have had injury issues every since.

Seen physio, GP and surgeon. Physio and Soc said double hernia, suegeon said I had nothing there but a possible microtear in the groin muscle. Saw a chiro about a long running back problem at the start of this year and he is convinced that my groin issue is actually a titled pelvis. 5-6 months later, its just starting to feel better and got some movement back. Hope I'm able to resume soon but the weight has piled on. I think the long distances are way off now but would be happy running 4-5 5ks a week for my own mental well being! Its going to be soul destroying starting all over again but got to be done.

I may have mentioned the injury a few times lol. The wife is getting sick of me being in the house. I cant take much more of Aussie Masterchef or Alan poxy Titchmarsh!
  • rina said:

I've hardly done any this year but am on 175 runs at 83 different locations. I had planned to get past 100 this year but got lazy, last one was in Paris about 6 weeks ago

That's impressive. I've only done Chelmsford and Dartford. Would love to get about and do more.

I've heard the Paris one is mostly English tourists. Is that true? Id like to get over and do the Oslo one in December just to say I have.
  • Daddy_Pig said:

rina said:

I've hardly done any this year but am on 175 runs at 83 different locations. I had planned to get past 100 this year but got lazy, last one was in Paris about 6 weeks ago

I've heard the Paris one is mostly English tourists. Is that true? Id like to get over and do the Oslo one in December just to say I have.
    Yep it's mostly English, 9 am on a Saturday just doesn't suit the laid back French. They are looking to try and get more involvement with local running clubs to try and increase local participation
  • Hate it with a passion, I was "told" that I should all do it by the rep of the Insurance Company that "sponsor" it. As soon as a "provider" tells me what I should do I do the opposite & then don't use them.
  • Hate it with a passion, I was "told" that I should all do it by the rep of the Insurance Company that "sponsor" it. As soon as a "provider" tells me what I should do I do the opposite & then don't use them.

Well, you really showed them.

I'm astounded the first hate post was so far down , not so amazed it was you Golfie. :smiley:

I'm in two minds about them , I love the fact they get people of all ages and abilities out there exercising but as an early riser it can be a bit annoying when I'm taking my kids out to improve their bike riding and there isn't the room to do it.
  • Signed up in July and done 5 and got my kids involved, which is a blessing and a curse, as it's great to have the company, but a pain the arse trying to get them up at 7 on a Saturday.
    Its a great start to a Saturday, my knees are a bit stuffed so I tend to walk run, but have shifted some weight, which is great.
    Lucky in Cape Town that we have some beautiful backdrops for the runs, I do mine in an area called Rondebosch which has the green side of Table mountain as your view.
  • Do it every other week. Love it
  • I am a member of Dartford Harriers and I train there every Tuesday and Thursday. I haven't done a park run yet as I am a bit slow because of my weight and age. I don't want to embarrass myself
  • Sponsored links:

• I do Basingstoke one most weeks, couldn't believe it when I saw 500+ people turn up every week!!

My 10 year old does it every other week when he is at mine and he loves it.

As others have said all ages and sizes turn up and no one is ever judged for their size or ability - there are volunteer tail walker's who always finish last so those taking part will never finish last.

It's a great idea and I wish I started it years ago and not just this year!
  • Absolutely love it and cannot recommend it highly enough. There are 5 to choose from in and around Brighton so alternate most week and took my 5 year old to his first junior parkrun on Sunday morning.
  • Do the Avery hill one every now and again. Should do it every week.

I used to do this..not done it in a almost a year due to various reasons.(Injury,Apathy etc)
    Once I get my orthotics and my fragile calf muscles sorted then I'll start again.
  • buckshee said:

I am a member of Dartford Harriers and I train there every Tuesday and Thursday. I haven't done a park run yet as I am a bit slow because of my weight and age. I don't want to embarrass myself

Mate, nothing embarrassing about wanting to improve your health and fitness. I do the Danson Park one every now and then and there are all sizes, shapes and abilities there. It's good fun and you're not judged at all. You're amongst like minded people who don't care about your time or appearance.
    This. All ages, abilities and sizes at Park run and never noticed any condescending snobbery or anything like that.

Anyone who mocks or scorns at anyone in a gym or out running etc trying to improve their health is an utter div not worth worrying about.

Park run is a great way to improve your fitness and challenge yourself against yourself and it's very motivating. Try it
    There's actually something quite pleasurable about seeing someone a bit on the larger side sweating away at a gym , fantastic that they are making the effort and anyone that thinks it's something to take the piss out of is a massive cretin.
    Would expect that sort of person to be an Arsenal fan!!
  • edited September 2017
    Horsham and Tilgate are my regular options. (Averaging 21 minutes at the moment). I do however love running with my friends or family members as I get to enjoy, rather than endure the run when running their pace!

Never ever be ashamed or embarrassed by pushing yourself to improve.
  • I actually *walked* the Hilly Fields Parkrun last year as part of recovering from a broken ankle - there are few people who are happy just strolling around that most weeks, taking 45-60 minutes. Bit of a contrast to the guy that's started doing it who does it in 16 and a half minutes - amazing considering the ups and downs of the course. But as mentioned above, you get all different types of people doing it - even with dogs and buggies.

I've helped out a couple of times since - that's been good fun. I might actually take the plunge and run the thing soon (did Couch to 5k over the summer but have lost momentum since then).