Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Kent CCC 2018

Time for a new thread.

Without wishing to start it off on a negative note, assuming that SNE does go, we find ourselves with a squad of 18 of which only 11 have played more than 20 First Class Matches. Of that 11, five will be 32, 33, 35, 37 and 42 respectively by the time the season is properly underway. Plus a Captain who will potentially be missing for some of the season.

The need for reinforcements is obvious. And soon.

Comments

• edited January 2018
    It's a chilly, very windy, rainy, gloomy January day.

Hats off for thinking of cricket on a day like this :smile:
  • Why is our production line so bare?

What is going so wrong at youth level - surely we have as many schools playing as other counties, so why are we not seeing youngsters ready to step up into the pro ranks ?
  • edited January 2018
    MrOneLung said:

Why is our production line so bare?

What is going so wrong at youth level - surely we have as many schools playing as other counties, so why are we not seeing youngsters ready to step up into the pro ranks ?

Our production line is still reasonable in terms of batsmen, Crawley for example is only 19

Wicketkeepers too, no idea what Ryan Davies is doing at the moment since he left Somerset as we don't really need him back
  • The KCL really doesn't do them any favours; the youth squad only play a few games each, and get tonked around for 10 overs each week. It's not exactly what you need for county cricket....

The senior squad has been shrinking year on year, and it's a shame that so many talented players have left to play elsewhere. Is it just about money? The need for a bottom up re-build is paramount.
  • Assuming Billings and Denly go to the IPL too, we are looking very weak:

DBD
    Dickson
    Crawley
    Blake
    Stevens
    Gidman
    Rouse
    Haggett
    Tredwell
    Thomas
    Hunn
  • Pedro45 said:

The KCL really doesn't do them any favours; the youth squad only play a few games each, and get tonked around for 10 overs each week. It's not exactly what you need for county cricket....

The senior squad has been shrinking year on year, and it's a shame that so many talented players have left to play elsewhere. Is it just about money? The need for a bottom up re-build is paramount.

Aren't most of the leavers squad members (mainly bowlers) who fail to progress? The likes of Ball and Hartley who are around for several seasons but hardly play
  • MrOneLung said:

I have, as many on here are bored by it, expressed my opinion that the lack of cricket in state schools has been a major factor but there are other influences too such as an elongated football season.

However, there is one other factor and that is that a lot of kids, even the talented ones, aren't engaged in sport as much as they once were and would rather stay at home and play on their Games Console for example.

Only last week a Dad said to me before a training session last week of his son who is in the Kent set up "xxxxx didn't want to come today because it was his birthday last week and all he wants to do is play on his Play Station." The first thing that this boy said to Seb was "I am so tired. I've just spent seven hours playing Assassin's Creed and just want to go to sleep".

Seb's nickname at school is FIFA 10 so called because that is the version of the game that he has. He is an outsider in this world which is down to the fact that he would rather play sport or his guitar to relax. But he is, it seems, an exception and whilst there is nothing wrong with playing on a Games Console, when it becomes yet another reason to get better at sport that is a concern.
  • MrOneLung said:

Our production line is still reasonable in terms of batsmen, Crawley for example is only 19

Wicketkeepers too, no idea what Ryan Davies is doing at the moment since he left Somerset as we don't really need him back
    Crawley, like Robinson, have to be given a chance to prove themselves in due course but they are our only two players under 24 and have just a couple of First Class Games between them.

Our inability to produce seamers is the most worrying. I can only think of Matt Coles in the last 15 years who came through the Kent system and actually made it as a regular. David Masters was probably the last one and he only stayed with us for a few seasons.
  • wmcf123 said:

Assuming Billings and Denly go to the IPL too, we are looking very weak:

DBD
    Dickson
    Crawley
    Blake
    Stevens
    Gidman
    Rouse
    Haggett
    Tredwell
    Thomas
    Hunn

You've got to add Claydon, Riley, Qayyum, Stewart and Robinson to that potential list but there really is no depth particularly in the fast bowling department.
  • I wonder if Kent need to decide, like some of the other counties have done, which form of cricket to concentrate on, as we don't have the resources to compete in all forms successfully.
  • Sponsored links:

• wmcf123 said:

Assuming Billings and Denly go to the IPL too, we are looking very weak:

DBD
    Dickson
    Crawley
    Blake
    Stevens
    Gidman
    Rouse
    Haggett
    Tredwell
    Thomas
    Hunn

You've got to add Claydon, Riley, Qayyum, Stewart and Robinson to that potential list but there really is no depth particularly in the fast bowling department.
    None of those enthuse me, Riley being an addick aside. He was useful until England messed about with his action
  • Kents first home game is on Thursday 15th March, a friendly against Hampshire at Canterbury. The same day as the Stayers Hurdle is run at the Cheltenham Festival. Entry is free though...
  • Riviera said:

Kents first home game is on Thursday 15th March, a friendly against Hampshire at Canterbury. The same day as the Stayers Hurdle is run at the Cheltenham Festival. Entry is free though...

Is it free at Cheltenham because they want to attract people to watch Kent's friendly on TV whilst soaking up the atmosphere of the best racing festival in the world?
  • You still wouldn't go if it was.
  • Riviera said:

You still wouldn't go if it was.

I would - as long as it wasn't with you.
  • Who is Sam Northeast going to ?
  • Who is Sam Northeast going to ?

Notts or Hants it seems.
  • Good news is that Allan Donald has gained his work permit so is now a Kent member of staff. No Billings (England) or Northeast (leaving?) but don't know why Stevens isn't on the pre-season tour.

Kent batsman Joe Denly will lead a 16-man squad on the FGS Plant Tour which flies out to the West Indies this weekend.

The 2017 player of the year will skipper the side in the absence of 2018 captain Sam Billings, who is on England duty in Australia and New Zealand during the tour.

Will Gidman will serve as vice-captain for the tour after a couple of victorious captaincy cameos for Kent last season.

New assistant coach Allan Donald has joined the coaching staff for the tour after gaining his UK work permit.

The Spitfires will represent county cricket in Antigua for a second successive winter, playing in the West Indies Super50 one-day competition.

Kent take on Guyana, Jamaica, Leeward Islands and USA in the group stage which starts on Wednesday 31 January with the semi-finals on February 21-22 and the final on February 24.

Kent Cricket would like to thank tour sponsors FGS Plant and travel partners Smile Group Travel.

FGS Plant Tour squad: Daniel Bell-Drummond, Alex Blake, Mitch Claydon, Zak Crawley, Joe Denly, Sean Dickson, Will Gidman, Calum Haggett, Matt Hunn, Imran Qayyum, Adam Riley, Ollie Robinson, Adam Rouse, Grant Stewart, Ivan Thomas, James Tredwell.

• Not having a pop guys, but looks a fairly threadbare squad.
  • IS Stevens playing in Bangla Desh IPL or something?
  • Sponsored links:

Probably.

He generally does.

Think that was played in December wasn't it?

Think that was played in December wasn't it?
    I think so

Stevens is playing for the England U19s...
  • You'd think Ivan Thomas needs to make it this season, really. A cracking lad apparently (so says my brother who's mates with him) but injury-ravaged and no longer as young as he once was
  • Leuth said:

You'd think Ivan Thomas needs to make it this season, really. A cracking lad apparently (so says my brother who's mates with him) but injury-ravaged and no longer as young as he once was

You could say the same about the likes of Hunn and Haggett too.

Donald is bringing Steyn and ABV as Kolpaks plus Rabada and Amla as overseas.
    Well that is great news.
  • Can anyone tell me what time point of this trip is ?

Club is wasting a lot of money on taking out a squad of 16 who aren't good enough / won't get picked for the start of the season. No new signings and the head coach isnt travelling with the squad for it . Complete circus if you ask me

Donald is bringing Steyn and ABV as Kolpaks plus Rabada and Amla as overseas.
    In all seriousness, the rumour is that we will be getting JP Duminy and Parnell.