Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Memorable graffiti round London from over the years

Always remember the huge mural on top of a block of flats in Rotherhithe/ Bermondsey "Alive" with a woman's face as the train would pass by. Flats knocked down years ago.

Remember a big CAFC on the railway sidings between London Bridge and cannon street also.

My favourite one by far was just beyond London Bridge and some builders had crudely scrawled on a derelict building "Big Dave's Gusset" in huge letters. They'd done it in a position meaning it was inaccessible so there permanently. Always made me chuckle and picture poor big Dave's boat when he saw it for the first time and every subsequent time he passed it on the train.

Comments

• I remember “Be Cool But Care” along a local railway line somewhere?!? I’m guessing maybe between Kidbrooke and Blackheath?
  • edited February 2018
    wasnt there rolands a cnut on floyd road

must of been wishful thinking - it was roland out
  • Always remember the huge mural on top of a block of flats in Rotherhithe/ Bermondsey "Alive" with a woman's face as the train would pass by. Flats knocked down years ago.

Remember a big CAFC on the railway sidings between London Bridge and cannon street also.

My favourite one by far was just beyond London Bridge and some builder's had crudely scrawled on a derelict building "Big Dave's Gusset" in huge letters. They'd done it in a position meaning it was inaccessible so there permanently. Always made me chuckle and picture poor big Dave's boat when he saw it for the first time and every subsequent time he passed it on the train.

Saw the thread title and immediate thought of this one
  • 'George Davis is Innocent' scrawled on walls & bridges,around South London.
  • The 'Big Dave's gusset' one should have been preserved like a Banksie would be - it was excellent - always brought a smile to my face
  • Sponsored links:

• It even has websites dedicated to it - genius

Ha brilliant! Will have to have a look at that later
  • Seen recently in Peckham/Camberwell

There are interviews on the net with the man himself - Big Dave - made my day this has
  • On Creekside near the Bird's Nest in Deptford there used to be "Whither Atrophy".
    Think it was the same guy who'd done the Love Over Gold one which was in the same area. There were a lot round there but I think the council painted them all over.

That was there (near Borough Market) for years! Brilliant.

There are interviews on the net with the man himself - Big Dave - made my day this has
    Excellent...I will check it out. Big Dave should get some honorary status and never have to buy a drink in the borough locale.
  • Always remember the huge mural on top of a block of flats in Rotherhithe/ Bermondsey "Alive" with a woman's face as the train would pass by. Flats knocked down years ago.

My favourite one by far was just beyond London Bridge and some builders had crudely scrawled on a derelict building "Big Dave's Gusset" in huge letters. They'd done it in a position meaning it was inaccessible so there permanently. Always made me chuckle and picture poor big Dave's boat when he saw it for the first time and every subsequent time he passed it on the train.

was that the CAFC B-MOB on the left if you were pulling out of Cannon Street?

was that the CAFC B-MOB on the left if you were pulling out of Cannon Street?
    There was one before you crossed the river just outside LB too but now you mention it I do remember that B Mob one too.

• Sponsored links:

• M. Kahn is Bent. As made famous by the Mary Whitehouse Experience. Possibly a sad story attached, though it seems unlikely...

Big Dave's Gusset is mentioned in the comments here.

https://londonist.com/2015/01/10-london-graffiti-slogans-from-the-last-50-years
  • "George Davies is innocent"

From the mighty Sham 69

https://youtube.com/watch?v=sKpA78cXHZc
  • Best one for me is just out from the Blackwall tunnel in which someone had written "The Lifestyle You Ordered is Currently Out of Stock" - which would have been read by mainly annoyed commuters on their way to work. (I believe this was Banksy, but may be wrong)

• "George Davies is innocent"

He wasn't though was he?
  • Used to see this on the way to White Hart Lane

• On the foot tunnel in Floyd Road, right opposite the club shop:
    "Langton must die"

It was there for years, but I never met anyone who knew the story behind it.
  • I remember in the early 80s there was what would now be called a viral marketing campaign by the band "Case" who painted their name all over the place - it was on one of the bridges next to the Blackwall Tunnel. I used to have their record it was a cracker.

And googling it found some more info about them
    http://transpont.blogspot.co.uk/2010/04/case-croydon-oi-and-oldest-graffiti-in.html