Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Travellers Move In

It is reported that they have broken into and "settled" in the field off Carlton Road, Sidcup. Some of these have come from illegal sites set up in the last few days at Whitehall Recreation Ground, Petts Wood and Hawthorne Road, Hayes and Norman Park, Orpington following which Bromley Council sought to issue a borough wide injunction.

Comments

• Anyone seen Snatch?
  • Yeah, but they need somewhere to live, right? Preferably to the cost and detriment of others.

Also, if everyone could make them as welcome as possible and bend over backwards to accommodate their 'culture' of living in their own sh*t and rubbish, whilst also just blindly accepting that anything you own, unless nailed down, is fair game to be stolen (I accept that blaming one group for a disproportionate number of them being responsible for crime types doesn't actually help anyone and it's far easier to blame 'society' as a whole. The absolving of individual responsibility seems to be fashionable at the moment) then that would be ever so pleasing.

They're above the law - police won't touch them whatever they do.
  • Yeah, but they need somewhere to live, right? Preferably to the cost and detriment of others.

Also, if everyone could make them as welcome as possible and bend over backwards to accommodate their 'culture' of living in their own sh*t and rubbish, whilst also just blindly accepting that anything you own, unless nailed down, is fair game to be stolen (I accept that blaming one group for a disproportionate number of them being responsible for crime types doesn't actually help anyone and it's far easier to blame 'society' as a whole. The absolving of individual responsibility seems to be fashionable at the moment) then that would be ever so pleasing.

Totally agree.

How’s the development around your ground going?
  • Look forward to them coming back to Greenwich - they were an absolute delight last time.
  • Anyone got any knives that need sharpening while I check out your gaff?
  • Sponsored links:

• Their only there for the Waitrose.
  • They broke into Willet Rec in Petts Wood on Monday night. They were moved on the next evening, loads of them.

• Their only there for the Waitrose.

The new Heston hedgehog terrine is to die for.
  • These are tinkers. Horrible people with little or no morals and even worse living conditions. Anyone else and they’d have their children taken away from them. God knows why the police and social services don’t care or are too scared, nobody should be above the law.
  • Having grown up in Brockley and now living in Peckham, never really been exposed to or think I’ve even met a traveller. Can only go on those gypsy wedding programmes
  • Sponsored links:

• cabbles said:

Having grown up in Brockley and now living in Peckham, never really been exposed to or think I’ve even met a traveller. Can only go on those gypsy wedding programmes

Does seem to be a big rise in South East London / North Kent in what VG describes in tinkers in recent years. Growing up there was always been a strong traveller-background community, particularly around places like Erith, Belvedere, Foots Cray etc, but these were 'settled' ones and very much integrated into wider society.

Seems to be a lot more tinkers and their vans about lately
  • cabbles said:

Having grown up in Brockley and now living in Peckham, never really been exposed to or think I’ve even met a traveller. Can only go on those gypsy wedding programmes

Try and keep it that way.
  • There is a travellers site around the back of my flat. It's the new builds next to the cement yard in Charlton. They were there when we moved in, and up until recently we've never had any trouble. In fact not long ago one of their whippets got of his lead and I went round and took it back.

However the council have upped the anti trying to evict them (it's difficult as only part of the land is council owned, most of it is owned by the cement yard). Since then we've had cars getting egged, fires started in bin stores etc. I get that they don't pay their way, but it doesn't really seem worth all the hassle.
  • cafcfan said:

Yeah, but they need somewhere to live, right? Preferably to the cost and detriment of others.

They're above the law - police won't touch them whatever they do.
    That is the common perception, yes.

But.....

While making up only 0.5% of the population, they account for 5% of the prison population. And in excess of 10% in some prisons.

If you're interested, read more here. https://justiceinspectorates.gov.uk/prisons/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2014/04/gypsies-romany-travellers-findings.pdf

Of course, it's only stats. If they are all criminals, then it would make sense if they were all in gaol, so perhaps the stats lie, who knows.

They feature regularly on our local common. The last lot, describing themselves as English Gypsies, seemed to major in tree surgery and came round looking for work. I asked to see their public liability insurance and they went away.

They moved out last week, actually tidied up after themselves too.

The group before that, much larger in number, were Irish. One of them had a brand new Rolls Royce Dawn Convertible (a tad ostentatious for my taste - photo below). I think the list price starts at around £280k. Which is easily achievable, I suppose, if you haven't got a house to pay for. Not quite sure what you'd tell the insurance company though! You know, the "where is your car kept overnight" thing. Mind you maybe the insurers take the view that it is highly unlikely that someone would try to steal it in the circumstances.

I wonder how much the tow bar option is on that?
    That made me laugh. As you'd expect, it seems impossible to find out. Probably in the "if you have to ask, you can't afford it" category. But I expect it does this.

https://youtu.be/ctE6o9isflI
  • edited August 2018
    absolutely no need for them to be there plenty of legal sites all over the UK, they moved into martens grove park a few years back within weeks we had to put up with shit and piss all over the swing park, kids being beaten up, burglaries on the rise, general behaviour, racing horses and carts up and down the road. traditional irish/romany travellers are v respectful people - this mob on the other hand are likely pikey scum, that will rob anything they can - parasites.
  • cabbles said:

i done a bit of youth work in downham - not a million miles from brockley and the core of the white youth were settled traveller kids - absolute little bastards who refused to partake in anything apart from drapsing - which involved wrestling with each other.
  • We should just dig a massive hole and chuck em all in it.