Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Handing Out Whoopings

I’m pleased we’re on a winning streak and it would be great to continue it, but I would be a lot happier(and not so stressed) if instead of winning by 1 goal margins with late winners, if we were absolutely battening teams, and handing out whoopings, you know the ones where you score four or five goals and feel invincible.

Can you remember the last time we gave a team a good whooping, and what your favourite was?

Barnsley 6 nil away has got to be up there for me.

And how do we get back to a situation of absolutely tonking teams, is it just having players back and a fully fit squad to choose from?

Comments

• Yeah Northampton 4-0 away last season sounded like an absolute rout by Charlton
  • Once Fosu is back and up to speed we could smash a few teams.
  • I think Plymouth still made it reasonably tough for us and were quite physical when they came forward

Also, our system of that diamond midfield puts a bit of pressure on us down the wings when we defend. As much as I thought we were the deserved winners y’day, at 1-1 I was praying, just don’t lose it

I think bigger wins will come, just got to give the team time to gel properly
  • Itd certainly make my Saturday nights a lot less stressful, especially once the clocks change and games finish at 1AM

Makes work on Sunday tough when it takes an hour to sleep after a game
  • Yeah Northampton 4-0 away last season sounded like an absolute rout by Charlton

Yep. We should’ve scored 6/7 that day.
  • Let’s all be careful out there. “Whoopings” are fine but I’m very happy to win however which way.
  • I don’t know why but handing our whoopings made Simon and Garfunkles song feeling groovy

Slow down, you move too fast
    You got to make the 90 minutes last
    Kicking towards the covered end
    Scoring goals and all is groovy

Hello horse, what cha knowing?
    I've come to watch Lee Bowyers team growing
    Kicking towards the covered end
    Scoring goals and all is groovy.
  • Sponsored links:

• 4 nil against Coventry, SCP's last game... It was like an exhibition game
  • Davo55 said:

19 August 2000.

Charlton 4 Man City 0

Top of the league (briefly).

Heady days.

In those 18 years, football finances have changed so much that I would suggest we will never beat them again and possibly might never play them. I would hope the latter is not true.

• Charlton 5 Notts County 1 in 1993

I was convinced we were going up that evening
  • Both 1972 Charlton 6 Swansea 0 & Charlton 6 Notts County 1

Both 1977 - Charlton 4 Spurs 1 & Charlton 4 Chelsea 0
  • Both 1972 Charlton 6 Swansea 0 & Charlton 6 Notts County 1

Both 1977 - Charlton 4 Spurs 1 & Charlton 4 Chelsea 0

The 1977 games were amazing.
  • edited September 2018
    Charlton 6 Southampton 2.
    Southampton had not long won the FA Cup and we ripped them a new one.
    I was quite young back then but I remember Richie Bowman, (shortest bloke on the pitch), repeatedly out jump Mick Channon, (tall England international centre forward).
    I think we had just knocked them out of the League Cup and Andy Nelson reckoned we were like death to them.
    I really thought we were one of the best in the country and promotion was nailed on. But we never seemed to win away that year despite our fantastic home form.
  • There is only one club in all of England, in any league, with a longer win streak than Charlton...... Liverpool.
  • Sponsored links:

• The last time we got out of this God-forsaken division we just edged past sides for the most part, even at home. I can recall two home matches where we won comfortably by decent margins, four against Carlisle and five against Preston but it was mostly a hard-fought slog. We won 4-0 at Hartlepool too if it was that season but I can't remember any others. I guess it';s the points that count and a winning mentality.
  • I’m just worried that if we keep having edgy last minute wins, we might have a diminished fan base next season, considering 3/4’s of them are over 50!

Oi!! Enough with the ageism! It's us over-60's keeping the club afloat!
  • Charlton 6 Southampton 2.
    Southampton had not long won the FA Cup and we ripped them a new one.
    I was quite young back then but I remember Richie Bowman, (shortest bloke on the pitch), repeatedly out jump Mick Channon, (tall England international centre forward).
    I think we had just knocked them out of the League Cup and Andy Nelson reckoned we were like death to them.
    I really thought we were one of the best in the country and promotion was nailed on. But we never seemed to win away that year despite our fantastic home form.

Was there... great night. Shilton in goal for them if memory serves me right!
  • as said earlier in this thread, once fosu is back we will start whacking teams - normally a promotion side will be winning a lot of home games quite comfortably - we're not quite there yet but reckon we will be soon
  • I’m pleased we’re on a winning streak and it would be great to continue it, but I would be a lot happier(and not so stressed) if instead of winning by 1 goal margins with late winners, if we were absolutely battening teams, and handing out whoopings, you know the ones where you score four or five goals and feel invincible.

Can you remember the last time we gave a team a good whooping, and what your favourite was?

Barnsley 6 nil away has got to be up there for me.

And how do we get back to a situation of absolutely tonking teams, is it just having players back and a fully fit squad to choose from?

I'm not sure I've ever seen us batter anyone apart from Man City 4-0 first game of, erm, circa 2000. Don't think I've seen us score five, when have we done it? Remember we got five against Southampton but I was at V98.
  • edited September 2018
    Never seen one in all my 40 odd years of supporting the club.

Wasnt at Barnsley for the 6-0 drubbing.

Best I can think of was the 4-0 mauling of Man City at the start of the 2000-2001 season & beating Stockport (?) at home the previous season when Hunt scored a hat trick.

We just dont wallop teams. Dont know why. Over the years we've had decent strikers (Hales, Mendonca, Hunt, Bent, BWP) and some decent midfielders. Just dont score the 6's & 7's that every other club do at least once a season. We havd cup games against non league teams & we struggle. Even playing Welling we dont score hatfuls.

Yesterday was a case in point. Another team would have scored 5 or 6. Would have been out of sight by half time. Not us.
  • Four nil up at Peterborough at half time.
  • edited September 2018

Never seen one in all my 40 odd years of supporting the club.

Best I can think of was the 4-0 mauling of Man City at the start of the 2000-2001 season & beating Stockport (?) at home the previous season when Hunt scored a hat trick.

We just dont wallop teams. Dont know why. Over the years we've had decent strikers (Hales, Mendonca, Hunt, Bent, BWP) and some decent midfielders. Just dont score the 6's & 7's that every other club do at least once a season. We havd cup games against non league teams & we struggle. Even playing Welling we dont score hatfuls.

Yesterday was a case in point. Another team would have scored 5 or 6. Would have been out of sight by half time. Not us.

Lol, The sun has got his hat on.........

There's three or four "fives" mentioned on this thread already that I'm sure you must've seen....... and I'll raise it by the 5-0 tanking of Man City back in the Sellout days with your brother Jimmy Melrose scoring for us.
  • Never seen one in all my 40 odd years of supporting the club.

Wouldnt completely agree with that... We went through a three / four year period not long ago where each November we'd score 5-goals against someone - i.e. Did it to Peterborough twice if I remember and also beat Preston 5-2 when we won League One
  • 5-1 away at Ipswich