Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Bob Curtis (RIP)

For those of us like me who started supporting CAFC in the 60,s just want to mark today remembering Bob Curtis 
who would have been 70 today.

Bob in my opinion was one of the most versatile fullbacks we ever had . 
Scoring goals from 25  / 35 yards saving us from relegation and a penalty king.

Comments

• R I P Bob remember him playing.
  • My favourite alongside Alan Campbell
  • RIP Bob.  Fond memories of my early days of addickdom...
  • RIP Bob, a great player and a lovely man.
  • RIP

A great player for us who died too young.
  • His name still shine's bright in my memory.

RIP Bob.
  • A super player. He had a lot of attacking flair at a time when full backs were more conservative offensively than they are today.
  • Best fullback we’ve ever had and the hardest.rip bob
  • Sponsored links:

• My first "favourite" player. Never missed a penalty till the promotion match v Preston in 1975.

His son used to post on here- not sure if he is still around?
  • This is a great thread for memories of Bob Curtis and one Bob's family, I am sure, will enjoy as a permanent memory from some of Bob's fans https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/32053/bob-curtis-your-memories-of-bob-rip/p1 

And this is a great thread for remembering anyone who would have been celebrating a birthday - instead of just at the point when they pass away https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/74745/would-have-been-their-birthday-today/p1 
  • My brother in law. Many a good story I could tell about him. He was a Liverpool fan and used to worry about me supporting Charlton. I know why now !
  • Best penalty taker we have ever had in my opinion. Full back, centre back or even midfield if necessary. Said it before but one of my favourite players of all time simply because he was Mr 100 percent.
  • Bob died nearly 10 years ago, at the age of 60 from the dreaded motor neurone disease. He replaced Billy Bonds and had a great career at Charlton despite the highs of the team who finished 3rd in the second division being allowed to fall away under the apathetic Michael Gliksten to the lows of the early 70's.
    Bob Curtis made 337 apps for Cafc.

Wright Curtis Kinsey Campbell Went Reeves Gregory Tracey Tees Moore Peacock.

That's just from memory as a lad who loved Cafc and who still loves the club with every bone in my body.

Bob Curtis has been in peace since 19th March 2010. 

Memories never die.
    Yes I have reeled that team off for decades. On a t shirt now! 
    Interesting though how little that 11 actually played compared to the memory. 
  • kentred2 said:
    Bob died nearly 10 years ago, at the age of 60 from the dreaded motor neurone disease. He replaced Billy Bonds and had a great career at Charlton despite the highs of the team who finished 3rd in the second division being allowed to fall away under the apathetic Michael Gliksten to the lows of the early 70's.

That's just from memory as a lad who loved Cafc and who still loves the club with every bone in my body.

Memories never die.
    I think that's because Peacock was injured most of 68/69...
  • He and Ray Treacy were my favourite players when I first started going to the Valley. Mr dependable, a stylish full back who could hit 30 yard cross field balls and put them on a sixpence.
    I remember we put him up front at the end of one season and he hit six or seven goals. Also ahead of his time in a fashion sense when he died his hair bright blonde one season.
    Terrific player, never forgotten.
  • kentred2 said:
    Bob died nearly 10 years ago, at the age of 60 from the dreaded motor neurone disease. He replaced Billy Bonds and had a great career at Charlton despite the highs of the team who finished 3rd in the second division being allowed to fall away under the apathetic Michael Gliksten to the lows of the early 70's.

Memories never die.
    Indeed. Although the one that followed was full of players that were club legend (over 3,000 appearances between them):

Wood (147)
    Curtis (337)
    Berry (358)
    Giles (93)
    Warman (316)
    Powell (321)
    Tydeman (158)
    Hunt (156)
    Peacock (532)
    Flanagan (347)
    Hales (320)

Most of those have, in their own right, more appearances than our starting X1 against Fulham on Wednesday!
  • Yes, a great favourite of mine, although I have to say I don't think he looked good when he dyed his hair!
  • edited January 2020

queensland_addick: said:
    He and Ray Treacy were my favourite players when I first started going to the Valley. Mr dependable, a stylish full back who could hit 30 yard cross field balls and put them on a sixpence.

I remember we put him up front at the end of one season and he hit six or seven goals. Also ahead of his time in a fashion sense when he died his hair bright blonde one season.
    Terrific player, never forgotten.
    Don't ever remember him up front .....  but one season (1970-71?) we were deep in relegation mire and by about March looking certainties to go down, when manager Theo Foley decided to play Bob Curtis in midfield. 

Turned out to be an inspired move - Bob was a real powerhouse there; and it was from midfield that he struck those 6 or 7 goals, mostly from outside the box. It really transformed the team and we escaped relegation comfortably.

Thanks for posting, though, @queensland_addick,     .... triggered some wonderful memories.

• Sponsored links:

• First Charlton player’s name I ever learned. Loved him.
    I didn’t realise he had died of motor neurone disease. Having now seen that illness in action with a neighbour, a couple of years ago, it is a very grim way to go for anybody.
    Hope he is up there now, showing the Angel First XI how to take a pen. 👍🏻
  • Didn’t he hold the World Record on several occasions for getting to The Royal Oak near Blackheath Standard after games.
    Fans who would leave at the final whistle would walk in to find him showered and dressed with pint in hand standing at the bar! :)
  • 3blokes said:
    First Charlton player’s name I ever learned. Loved him.
    I didn’t realise he had died of motor neurone disease. Having now seen that illness in action with a neighbour, a couple of years ago, it is a very grim way to go for anybody.
    Hope he is up there now, showing the Angel First XI how to take a pen. 👍🏻
    Or a corner!!!
  • Very good versatile player. I remember him scoring a fluke 70 yard goal at the Valley. It was a free kick inside his own half, floated it forward and it went in. Cannot remember who the opposition was.
  • Boyhood hero. Bloody marauding player. RIP
  • I think he is down as my favourite player in the original Back to the Valley
  • I remember being really upset when we sold Billy Bonds. It says so much for Bob Curtis that he filled that void and became a huge fans favourite. 
  • vffvff
    edited January 2020
    Excellent and reliable penalty taker. When Bob Curtis stepped up to take the penalty, you were already preparing to celebrate the goal.
  • One of my early heroes and I have such fond and vivid memories all these years later. A true Charlton legend.

RIP Bob
  • remember him with a smile

RIP