Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Best own goals you ever scored?

Rewatching the Nabster scoring one of the greatest OG's ever at Wembley got me thinking of some of the own goals that Lifers must have scored at various levels over the years.

My own contribution would have to be over twenty five years ago in a Saturday league game, (before the back pass rule was changed), when playing at right back and receiving a pass back from midfield, I attempted to chip the ball back to our keeper, but over the head of the striker in between us.

In golfing terms I 'got a bit too much of it', and rather than a gentle sand wedge, I had instead hit a soaring eight iron that swirled over our keeper by a good ten feet, before arrowing into the top corner - to this day I can still feel the sense of terror as I realised what had happened.

Needless to say we lost 1-0, and I am still reminded of it to this day.

Comments

• Rewatching the Nabster scoring one of the greatest OG's ever at Wembley got me thinking of some of the own goals that Lifers must have scored at various levels over the years.

My own contribution would have to be over twenty five years ago in a Saturday league game, (before the back pass rule was changed), when playing at right back and receiving a pass back from midfield, I attempted to chip the ball back to our keeper, but over the head of the striker in between us.

In golfing terms I 'got a bit too much of it', and rather than a gentle sand wedge, I had instead hit a soaring eight iron that swirled over our keeper by a good ten feet, before arrowing into the top corner - to this day I can still feel the sense of terror as I realised what had happened.

Sounds like you recreated Les Berry’s relatively unknown own goal backpass from back in the 1980’s when he lobbed Jeff Wood from close to the half way line. Can’t remember who that was against.
  • For me playing 5 a side, sliced clearance that bent behind me and past the despairing dive of the keeper. We were crap so I very much doubt that was the winning goal but it was the only one I scored for about a year.
  • When I was about 15ish I tried a clearance consisting of a overhead kick in my own 6 yard box, only for me to completely misjudge it and for the ball to come off the bottom of my boot and fly in to my own net. In what contributed in a 3-1 loss. 
  • meldrew66 said:
    Rewatching the Nabster scoring one of the greatest OG's ever at Wembley got me thinking of some of the own goals that Lifers must have scored at various levels over the years.

Sounds like you recreated Les Berry’s relatively unknown own goal backpass from back in the 1980’s when he lobbed Jeff Wood from close to the half way line. Can’t remember who that was against.
    I remember Steve Dowman scored an own goal like that. Think it was against Sheffield Wednesday. 

Les Berry scored an goal against Fulham in 79/80 which all but confirmed our relegation to Div 3. He backheaded the ball over our keeper and into the net at the Covered End.  Fulham went down with us that season. 
  • Dave Shipperley against Orient in relegation season in 72 will take some beating
  • I could never understand at the time why nobody else seemed to realise that Les Berry wasn't very good. I was young so maybe I was missing something.

I honestly can't recall scoring an own goal. There would have been shots that touched me as they went it, but not a genuine own goal that could directly be attributed to me. It was at primary school, but I did see Martin Offiah score an own goal from the kick off.  Probably a result for him that he moved on to a school that played rugby.
  • Mine was about the 8th or 9th in a 14-0 defeat so i didn’t get any grief about it
  • The Nabster?    I just puked a little. 
  • I scored a header from the edge of our box when I was about 11 playing for the u13's, the bigger boys weren't happy.

I can't remember it well, as I was drunk, but Carlisle scored a good og, when we got promoted in 86. Outside of the box I think, would like to see that again.
  • I was playing centre half when the opposition put a high ball over the back four. As I turned to knock the bouncing ball back to the keeper, I caught it too well and lobbed our keeper who was on the edge of the box from just inside my own half.

Best own goal in my team’s favour was a bizarre series of ricochets just after a corner was taken which from memory went - our shot hit the post, hits defender on shins as the ball heads towards the centre of the goal, another defender hacks off the line, hits another defender whose head or shoulder sends the ball towards the goal post, the ball rolls along the goal line for the defender who hacked it off the line previously to smash with almighty venom against his keeper and into net. I think we won 1-0 or 2-1. I’ll check the slow motion action replay later to see if I’ve got my facts right.
  • Sponsored links:

• Wasnt there a game against Sunderland when all our goals were own goals, one guy getting two of them?
  • Dave Shipperley against Orient in relegation season in 72 will take some beating
    Winner. Close the thread now!
  • Numbers said:
    I scored a header from the edge of our box when I was about 11 playing for the u13's, the bigger boys weren't happy.

I can't remember it well, as I was drunk, but Carlisle scored a good og, when we got promoted in 86. Outside of the box I think, would like to see that again.
    Jim Tolmie, god bless him. 

I only ever scored one genuine own goal - I was at the back post as a low cross came in and it hit my shins and went in. 
  • Only scored one, was playing in goal, shot hit the post hit me and went in so not very embarrassing. 
  • Never played for a club or anything but remember at Secondary School I was playing at Lunchtime with my mates

Typical jumpers / bags for goal posts

Corner came in (I was stood on the "post") - Lovely tap in from me as I went to try and clear with the wrong foot

Couple mins later and I kindly showed everyone an action replay as I did the exact same thing again
  • No description could do it justice but a colleague of mine once scored an own goal in 5 a side that left me crying with laughter on the floor. It involved him somehow deflecting a ball onto a basketball hoop then turning to race back and running into the ball face first. 
  • McBobbin said:
    Wasnt there a game against Sunderland when all our goals were own goals, one guy getting two of them?
    I remember that one, mainly because Kamara described Mark Fish as hitting 'an unbelievably crap shot' which was then turned in by a defender.
  • I got 3 in total. 2 in one game - first one was a misdirected header and the 2nd was going well wide until it hit me. The other one was a tap in - it was either the oppo striker or me that would put it in and I wasn’t letting him have the glory. 
  • edited April 2020
    I scored loads.

Probably my "best"; I tried to cut out a bouncing through ball by left-foot volleying off for a throw....but top-edged it over our keeper from a good 30 yards. It was the decisive goal in a 1-2 defeat. 

My mate Mick Bird, who used to come with me to Charlton away games in the early 80s, scored a hat-trick of OGs in one game. The first being a header into an empty net BEFORE the opposition had touched the ball in the match!!! (straight from kick off). The second was a close range volley and the 3rd was a corner that hit him in the nuts after everyone missed it and it dribbled in. We lost 4-2. 
  • edited April 2020
    My mate Bob Andrews, told me a good one from the early 70's.

He was manager of Parkside FC in West London. A cup game and the goalkeeper is Mick Stapleton. The opposition shoot over the bar and the ball goes over a wall into some allotments. Bob Andrews goes to get the ball and sits on top of the wall, while he rolls the ball back to Mick Stapleton (play is currently at the other end). Mick places the ball in the back of the net for safe keeping. The opposition mount an attack but the ball ends up safely in Mick's arms. He is about to drop-kick from the edge of his area but remembers the original ball is in the back of the net (you know what's going to happen here don't you?) So, Mick rolls the current ball gently into the back of the net and picks out the original ball to drop-kick. Bob Andrews is sat on top of the wall and watches this all happen, thinking "I hope the ref hasn't seen that"........but of course, the ref did see it (after it was kindly pointed out by a member of the opposition). Parkside lose 1-0 and are out of the cup. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 2020
    McBobbin said:
    Wasnt there a game against Sunderland when all our goals were own goals, one guy getting two of them?
    https://www.premierleague.com/match/4301

Three own goals in the space of 7 minutes
  • During a brief stint at left back for my team I scored an own goal that wasn't a worldy so much as the kind of goal I would be delighted to score in my usual role up front. Ball came across the edge of the box low and I got across to cut it out, except instead of cutting it out I arrowed it low into the bottom corner past our keeper first time. Absolute controlled rocket it looked. Luckily for me the offside flag had gone up so the own goal wasn't counted, but somehow that made it more embarrassing as it weirdly made me look even more incompetent, like one of those kids who plays on because he hasn't heard the whistle 5 minutes ago. For some reason they didn't keep me at left back for long
  • In my footballing career I think I scored more own goals than ones at the right end. As a full back/centre back I rarely troubled the opposition goal but was clearly far more of a danger to my own.
  • edited April 2020
    Only ever scored one hat trick, unfortunately TWO were in the wrong end! It was over at East Ham and nothing I could do about either of them as I tried to prevent the ball from crossing the line.

Lost about 5-3. As skipper you can imagine I took a bit of stick in the bar afterwards and had to get several jugs in. The fact that I was the only defender near enough to get a clearance in cut no ice 😩.
  • The best own goal I have ever seen was Billy aged 6 who smashed a left footed shot into the top corner from miles out. He turned, clenched his fists in celebration, then realised his team was kicking the other way. 😑
  • Jim Tolmie. Will never forget that.
  • I scored for Ardingly 2nd team from kick off after a goal we conceded that was clearly a hand ball, i received the ball and lobbed it in protest back over the useless blind keeper's nonexistent hands.

• I used to score a few own goals a season in boys football - I was the type of defender who'd always go for the ball if it went across the 6yrd box, risky but most of the time it paid off. A good one I remember was from a corner. I was on near post duty and the ball was put into the 6 yard box. I reacted quicker than anyone else, darted off the line and swung a boot at it. Should have been in row z, but I completely sliced it right into the top corner of the post I should have been guarding. Ridiculous angle to score from, you would never be able to recreate it! We lost 8 or 9 nil, so it wasn't a game changer :smiley:
  • None in 11 a side but I remember playing in a summer 5 a side tournament at Joyce Green hospital on rock hard ground. Taking turns to be goalie as our regular couldn’t make it, during my stint I dived to stop the ball that was going 6ft wide by clawing it back into play only for the spin to take it bobbling into the empty net
  • Aged about 14 I used to go with my mate to football training at Dartford YMCA on West Hill. 

I was a year above the others so couldn’t play in their league games but they had a friendly game arranged one weekend so they made me captain for the game. 

I scored an own goal from a blind back pass and missed a penalty. Lost 1-0 and never played a match for them again.