Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Kidbrooke

Anyone know much about the area?

The gf and I have been planning to buy somewhere (first time buyers) for a while. We are still a little way away from being able to yet but hope to get there in a couple of months (gf has just got a promotion but will be 2 months before she starts that and we need that salary to get an agreement in principle) so have been stepping up our research so we are able to take advantage if the market falls. 

We've ended up looking at Kidbrooke for a number of reasons:

Seems to be reasonable Value for money in terms of what you can buy within half a mile of the station compared to a lot of other places we have looked at.

Top of the A2 so easy to drive back to see both our families based in medway. 

Easy commute for my gf to London bridge. 

Commute not too bad for me into Victoria (although it is the dreaded South Eastern and through the notoriously shit Lewisham junction). 

My brother is in Eltham. 

Proximity to The Valley

Bus back from North Greenwich if we miss the last train home. 

Any insights to the area or challenges to what I said above are greatly appreciated. 

@kidbrookeaddick @KidbrookeAddick2019 over to you guys! 😜

Comments

• South Blackheath surely.

Area seems to have changed a lot since the Ferrier estate became Blackheath Village and has all the advantages you mention but it's not Greenwich or Blackheath no matter what the estate agents say.
  • Ferrier Estate....... Beirut , Aleppo , and South Africa Townships rolled into one. But, luckily for you , is now Kidbrooke Village. 
    I would love to know what this means.
  • The Ferrier Estate used to be notoriously rough, but they knocked it down to build all the new developments round there.
  • Ferrier Estate....... Beirut , Aleppo , and South Africa Townships rolled into one. But, luckily for you , is now Kidbrooke Village. 
    It’s not very nice
    Was a fair bit of trouble back in the day between the Ferrier and Cherry Orchard ... the Orchard always won of course  :)

But, being serious, the area looks pretty good these days. 

It’s not very nice
    It is now
    The Ferrier was a notoriously rough council estate that was knocked down and is now the new development around Kidbrooke station. 

For some it will take a long time to lose that association.
  • Useful already thanks all.
  • Sponsored links:

• Depends where in Kidbrooke you are looking at. As pp have said, the Ferrier Estate had a very bad name & although it's been knocked down I just dont like the new "boxes" they have built in its place. Are you looking at the roads between the lights by the A102 /A20 junction and the A2 ?  They look pretty decent houses.
  • I live in Eltham on Rochester Way not to far away from the fabled 'Kidbrooke Village'. I work in Waterloo and split my commute by cycling/train depending on how lazy I am feeling. I sometimes get the Victoria line train and change and go to Elephant and Castle, usually get a seat on that train going both ways. 

In terms of going to the Valley, depending on where you end up living you could get the 286, or 132 bus and get off down near Maze Hill Station or Blackheath Standard (depending on bus) and walk 20 or so minutes to the valley from there. 

Obviously your only a stones throw away from Greenwich and Blackheath as well if you want to go to the park, or find some decent/wanky places to go out to eat/drink local. 

• edited May 2020
    Fond memories of my father taking me and my brother into work with him on a Saturday morning to the Ferrier. I was about 7-8, so that makes it 1971. Dad would be hanging doors and architrave and me and little bruv would be running around site trying to kill ourselves, we would be a Health and Safety clip on YouTube today.

It gained quite a reputation over the years, who could forget the ambience and a la mode of the Watt Tyler.

Fast forward to last year and imagine my surprise on an aimless drive around the old haunts. The place is unrecognisable and held up as a template for modern regeneration.
  • Went to school there before it became Blackhearh Quarter, looks pretty different nowadays! 

Is the pub situation still dire?
  • Anyone local of 20 years + will be prejudiced from their memories.

on the face of it, it looks a completely regenerated area. 2,000 knocked down and 5,000 new homes over a 20 year period. Station close, David Lloyd, smart apartments, great position, new retail etc. Looks ideal for a young couple. 

would do some serious research from those living there whether it’s new look is not just a pretty face. 35% was set out to be affordable housing. 
    I drunkenly got off at Kidbrooke station by mistake one night. Stumbled around for ages having no idea where I really was, but did remember thinking it looked pretty decent.

Ended up having to get an uber home down the road which was pretty embarrassing. 
  • se9addick said:
    Went to school there before it became Blackhearh Quarter, looks pretty different nowadays! 

Good question, what would be the nearest pubs.... 
  • edited May 2020
    There’s a new Youngs pub there that opened last year called The Depot that looks decent

• Sponsored links:

• se9addick said:
    Went to school there before it became Blackhearh Quarter, looks pretty different nowadays! 

I can't think off any pubs in Kidbrooke. Where is it that they hold the beer festival?

Canters I'll take you to the Long Pond or Rusty Bucket in Eltham. Unless you turn out to be a wrongun... 

Then I'll just take you up Shooters Hill instead. 
  • It's a nice place to live and the Berkeley flats are very well spec'd if thats what you're looking at.

Quick commute and walking distance to Blackheath / Greenwich Park. The only downside is that the commute is a pain if the trains are bad but the bus route to north greenwich has eased that a bit now. The parking situation annoyed me when I lived there as they made it permit holders only all the way down Weigall Road but refused to let anyone in the development buy a parking permit.

se9addick said:

They opened a Youngs pub there last year which was the main thing it was lacking. It's a bit quiet but decent enough, has a quiz every thursday as well
  • Where about's are you looking?
  • Rob7Lee said:
    Where about's are you looking?
    Ditto.
    I lived in Blackheath until age 25 (same post code SE3), so I have a good idea.
    What sort of roads are you looking at ?
    The "new" developments or the older houses? 
  • edited May 2020
    Rob7Lee said:
    Where about's are you looking?
    Trying not to be too specific for a few reasons.cant really afford to be picky, dont know the area very well, also dont want to get set on one particular place as chances are they wont still be on the market in a couple of months when we are actually in a position to put offers down. Our main requirement is to be walking distance to the station (or a station, but we are basing it around Kidbrooke station for now) have looked at a few between the A2 and Rochester way (some nearer Eltham). A couple further south nearer the south circular. Haven't been able to go and have a look round due to lockdown and to be honest we only "discovered" kidbrooke as an option in the last month or so. More after a general feel for the place, connections busyness etc.
  • Come to sunny Sidcup
  • Come to sunny Sidcup
    Not so great for my commute.
  • My sister moved into the village in the first opening.  Moved out 2 years ago mostly due to the lack of local amenities they do now have a sainsbury's local and the pub and a gym but nothing close to what was promised. Still lots of building going on with more retail promised.  We inquired about a micro or wine bar but they just said not being a chain we where not in the remit. 
    The beer festival (ms Strasbourg is the organiser) is at Charlton Park rugby club in Broadway. So only a short stroll.  Not happening as planned from next week obviously this year.  
    The area is very nice overall and to be fair Eltham is only a 20 minute walk or 5 minutes on the bus.