Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

First Pubs Drinking Legally (or otherwise)

Just wondered which Pub(s) was the first people drank in as a teenager. 

Mine was a pub called Hallamshire Hotel (aka The Madhouse) in Crosspool, Sheffield. No longer standing. It was a rough arsed pub in leafy suburbia. 

Comments

• The Crown & Princess of Wales Blackheath.
  • Crook Log Bexleyheath - when it was a proper pub.
  • Ye Olde Black Horse, Sidcup. Underage but if I could get served I'd go for a Barley wine or tripple vodka.
  • Mine was the Kings Arms and The Castle (both no longer) in Eltham. We would get served in there at the age of 15, not only at night, but during school lunch breaks.  Often our form tutor would be in there and completely turn a blind eye to our £1 pints of Hoffmeister. 
  • The Roupell
  • Cutty Sark, then the Gipsy Moth in Greenwich. Used to go in the Studio Bar underneath the cinema a lot too. Lowenbrau was my tipple - that's a very rare sight now!
  • I can answer this one.

Bull and Vic in Dartford. In 1991.

I went back a couple of years ago and it was like a scummy disco.
  • The Yew tree Inn, Cliffords Mesne in Gloucestershire...

1981 i was 14, followed that with getting entry to the Regal in Gloucester to watch American Werewolf in London :)
  • Park Tavern Eltham
    Newbridge WMC Blackheath
    The Valley Pub

my 3 regular early drinking haunts
  • The Kings Head, Horley or The Cage, Reigate in Probably 2005? 

Can't remember which was first!
  • Sponsored links:

• Mine was the Kings Arms and The Castle (both no longer) in Eltham. We would get served in there at the age of 15, not only at night, but during school lunch breaks.  Often our form tutor would be in there and completely turn a blind eye to our £1 pints of Hoffmeister. 

UGH - you've reminded me of a dreadful boyfriend who turned into a right weirdo when I ended the relationship. Our first date was in the Castle.
  • The George, Kingsman Street, Woolwich. Started when I was 15 as I looked a lot older and knocked around  with older friends.
  • The Forresters Arms on the Welling/Plumstead Border on Wickham Lane with a good few people on here.

At football, The British Queen on Love Lane and the Bell and Hare on Tottenham High Road.
  • The Bugle, a light and bitter.
  • The George, Kingsman Street, Woolwich. Started when I was 15 as I looked a lot older and knocked around  with older friends.
    20 yards from where my girlfriend/wife lived in St Mary Street.
  • Not expecting many here to know them as out of the Charlton area but for me:

The Oysterfleet, Canvey Island:  In the day a wonderful shack of a building where we'd sit and drink Abbot & St Edmund* all day whilst the old guy at the piano would delight us with timeless classics like Sweet Georgia Brown. Now, a completely rebuilt soul-less chain restaurant thing.

The Grand Hotel, Leigh-on-Sea: Three different bars downstairs. Large concert space upstairs.  I've seen some great acts in there over the years.  Now, empty and decaying. It's not been open for at least ten, maybe twenty years.

The Queens Hotel, Westcliff: Huge drinking space with live music in the bar.  Closed down following a drugs bust and after a couple of years derelict, this once magnificent building was bulldozed to make granny flats.

*Proper St Edmund, not the over-hopped low-alcohol rebranded muck that Greene King now think is worthy of the name.
  • As per the first pint thread, from the age of 16 ;

The Hercules Pillars,  WC1 (work)

The Railway Tavern, Bexley (my local)
  • The Montagu Arms in Slough. From when I was 15.
    Drank in the public bar as the teachers drank in the saloon. My school was opposite.
  • Ship -  Plumstead Common
  • Yorkshire Grey... now a @#$%!!&£€ McDs of course.
  • Sponsored links:

• The Beehive, New Eltham (age 16)
  • edited September 2020
    Mine was the Kings Arms and The Castle (both no longer) in Eltham. We would get served in there at the age of 15, not only at night, but during school lunch breaks.  Often our form tutor would be in there and completely turn a blind eye to our £1 pints of Hoffmeister. 

UGH - you've reminded me of a dreadful boyfriend who turned into a right weirdo when I ended the relationship. Our first date was in the Castle.
    The Castle was a hell hole. Used to go in there on a Thursday night and sink as many pints of tennants pilsner as I could. 

Sorry for being such a bad boyfriend btw! I’ll make it you to you. 
  • Yorkshire Grey... now a @#$%!!&£€ McDs of course.
    I used to play football for them. 
  • The Crossways New Eltham, now a Burger King.
  • Another one for Ye Olde Black Horse in Sidcup
    Also The Iron Horse in Sidcup
    And the Cellar Bar, Thames Poly, Woolwich 

In 1981/2 so I'd have been 15/16. 

I lived in Erith but never drank there. 
  • The Woodman Blackfen
  • The welcome Inn
    three Tuns Blackheath
    Dover Patrol
    The Standard
  • The Elephant and Castle and then most of the pubs in the Old Kent Road with the dirty Millwall roughnecks.
  • The Crossways New Eltham, now a Burger King.
    Not anymore. It’s now a Premier Inn. Thomas stays there when he’s over 
  • Probably either Yates's in the Sham or Greenwich spoons. 16 year olds have no taste.