Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

FA Chief resigns

Greg Clarke has resigned as Football Association chairman following the language he used in a reference to black players when talking to MPs about diversity.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54894864

Comments

• Thank god for that. He is just another example of people in positions of power that have outdated views and opinions that belong in the past. A good few more need to go from all walks of life but however small it's a move in the right direction 
  • No doubt he's walked away with a sackful of compensation.
  • "2020 has been a challenging year and I have been actively considering standing down for some time to make way for a new Chair now our CEO transition is complete and excellent executive leadership under Mark Bullingham is established."

Whatever you say Greg, nothing to do with the institutional racism you called "fluff" surely
  • No doubt he's walked away with a sackful of compensation.
    I wouldn't bet on that.
  • That really was a car crash ...for the sake of football let's hope there is a more enlightened appointment as his successor 
  • Sponsored links:

• Who said English football is stuck in the past?

Lucky he didn't say anything more fruity really...
  • bobmunro said:
    No doubt he's walked away with a sackful of compensation.
    I wouldn't bet on that.
    Brilliant!   :smile:
  • A great loss. At least Gordon Taylor is still at the PFA.

Some great thinkers at the top of the game.
  • I think he is stupid, but I don't think he is a racist.

Either way, not the appropriate person to be leading the FA.
  • Did he make all of these comments in a single conversation?
  • Can some one enlighten me as to the words he should have used. An I’m not looking for an argument, I genuinely would like to know.  The items about girls and the IT Department I can see, but..... are we being to sensitive here... ?
  • Huskaris said:
    I think he is stupid, but I don't think he is a racist.

Either way, not the appropriate person to be leading the FA.
    Totally agree with this, and I am not sure it’s right the way the press are handling this..
  • Sponsored links:

• Read the whole list of things he said and there's no way he could lead an organisation like the FA in the year 2020. 

1960 maybe. 
  • You would expect someone heading up the FA to be clued up about the language they use in this day and age. He comes across as a dinosaur which is hardly a surprise in football administration.

I've always thought he was useless.
  • Is the term 'people of colour' in use at the moment?
  • Whilst I know things have moved on and what he said is not acceptable nowadays I definately think it is an age thing. I am 63 and was raised by parents and grandparents who referred to black people as coloured. I admit to slipping up on a few occassions and using this term myself, once was on here. 
  • It is not just the use of the term 'coloured' please read up on the other stuff he actually said before saying he's hard done by. 
  • I think the issue is there are a lot of people who are hopefully/probably not racists, who unfortunately use the same kind of language that racists/borderline racists might use. 

I am firmly of the view that there 100% are a lot of racists out there, and although you can judge people by what they say, it is how they say it, and their true feelings that define whether you are a racist or not. I didn't feel like he was trying to be offensive, in fact he also said "People can see if you're black and if they don't like black people because they are filthy racists, they can abuse you anonymously online." I heard him call racists filthy, I didn't hear him call any ethnic minorities filthy, just "coloured". A term for which you have to be educated in why it is offensive, in order to understand that it is offensive.

It shouldn't be a crime to not be au fait with what should be said, and although a lot of his comments were incredibly stupid and for that he shouldn't be at the head of such a "prestigious" organisation, there are people that use far less offensive terms that are seriously racist.