Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

For old John Roan boys

I was at this game and came across the programme. Some names in the line up I remember well. David Campbell played for Charlton. 

Comments

• Gary Micklewhite never made an appearance for Man United ended up playing for Derby, QPR and Gillingham. 
  • Dad went to the Roan School in the late 1930’s. He let me know on a number of occasions Brian Kinsey was an old boy. 
  • On their way to the final Roan scrapped a 1-0 quarter final win away to my Erith School side. I was gutted that day and the week after!

Micklewhite was a regular foe, who  played for Inter Fico back in the day. I thought he was previously at Welling School? Either way he was a go by so and so. 
  • On their way to the final Roan scrapped a 1-0 quarter final win away to my Erith School side. I was gutted that day and the week after!

Micklewhite was a regular foe, who  played for Inter Fico back in the day. I thought he was previously at Welling School? Either way he was a go by so and so. 
    I played for a short time with Inter Fico. John Bumstead was in the same side
  • I played with Ray Mills in the Three Tuns B Team back in the 80’s. As shit as we were, he was our stand out player
  • I was there too went on the coach.
  • I've got that programme.
    We played the final at The Victoria Ground Stoke.
    I also went to the SF played at Millwall and the QF played at Farnham IIRC.
    Great days.
    Here's to old John Roan ....
    Are you sure it was that year?
    Roan won it two years running and the 1978 final was against Stoke Sixth Form College and I'm sure it was that game that was at the Victoria Ground. 
    Great days.
    Roan won it two years running and the 1978 final was against Stoke Sixth Form College and I'm sure it was that game that was at the Victoria Ground. 

Yep that was 78. Lee Chapman played for the opposition
    Great days.
    No I'm not sure, but couldn't be bothered to check.
    You're probably right.
  • Sponsored links:

• This was the Birmingham/St Andrews final. 
  • Won it in 71 as well. 
  • At that time no other school had won it more than once. 
    Wow I always thought my Erith team got to the quarter finals. 
  • Won it in 71 as well. 
    I went to that one as well. Somewhere in East London??
    You would have but we gave your boys one hell of a beating.
    bolloxbolder, Erith College, Nordenfelt pub, The Fox are you listening  :D
  • Are we supposed to be guessing the score?

I'll go for 5-5
  • Off_it said:
    Are we supposed to be guessing the score?

I'll go for 5-5
    7-6
    You would have but we gave your boys one hell of a beating.
    bolloxbolder, Erith College, Nordenfelt pub, The Fox are you listening  :D
    Haha. Yeah I hit the post early on when put clean through. It's all my fault.  To quote Ronnie Mauge I disgraced my school,  the local community and my family. 

Before the game someone wrote above the pavilion entrance door "Roan will die - Erith skins kick to kill"

Ridiculous some of the things my amazing memory remembers.
  • I remember at Farnham away one of our lads poking his metal tipped umbrella up their goalies's arse and telling him he'd better let in a goal or he'd be for it.
    I'm not sure if it was this season or the following season when we played at The Old Den, possibly against Millfield.
    Our lads chased their's round the ground and they climbed over the toilet wall and out the ground to escape. The headmaster gave the school a rollocking in the morning assembly  :D
  • Sponsored links:

• I think the 1971 semi or final was played at the Valley. I was there but the memory is fading!
  • I think the 1971 semi or final was played at the Valley. I was there but the memory is fading!
    Final was not at The Valley. I was there - my dad drove and we went north through the Blackwall Tunnel. Would it have been at Orient or Redbridge??
  • Roan did indeed play at the Valley in 1971. 

• Thanks. Maybe I am thinking of the second leg?
  • Thanks for the confirmation….expensive programme!
  • edited November 2021
    I was at both legs of the 1971 final. There was a scrap on the half way line at the away leg, and the following day the police came to the school to interview some of those involved, and we got a bit of an earwigging from the then headmaster, ‘Doc Taylor’. 
    The Roan team included Ian Thorpe, who played a few games for Gillingham, Glen Aitken who played for Gillingham and Wimbledon, and Phil Lancelotte whose dad, Eric, played for Charlton. 
    Happy days.
  • Was at Roan ‘64-71 and watched the 2nd leg of the ‘71 final. Played in teams with Puddifoot, Pearce, Aitken, Hutley, Russon and Henning in the early school years.
    Great memories and a bloody good ( football) school .
  • Was at Roan 70-77. First year I was in the same class as David Campbell. His brother Neil started a year later. Both were very good cricketers and golfers as well. Both were members like me at Shooters Hill Golf Club.

Great achievement for a Grammar school with an annual intake of 90 boys to be English school champions 3 times in 8 years compared to the much larger other secondary schools all over the country.

In my 60’s now but still regularly drive past the old playing fields - brings back many happy memories!
  • 74-79 for me, Nelson house.  We had a great football tradition. "Here's to old John Roan"