Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Petrol Prices .. February 24/2/2022

I subscribe to an email detailing daily moves in petrol and diesel prices.
Overnight following the Russian invasion of Ukraine, local prices have increased by 3 or 4 pence across the board.
Not a huge increase admittedly, however, I suspect this is the start of a general rise in fuel prices, including domestic fuel prices as well as all food prices, after all,  all supplies end their journey in a fuel driven vehicle.

Has anyone else noticed sudden increases in petrol prices ?

Comments

• I filled up at the start of the week when the Russians were obviously about to invade.
    The prices will only keep going up unless the Russians go no further (unlikely).
  • I filled up last week at Tesco where diesel was 149.9, whereas elsewhere it was 152.9 Earlier this week it had gone up to 154.9 everywhere. Need to fill up again next week, God knows what it will be then.
  • I bought a electric bike last week on Amazon normally £750 got it for £518 it’s gone up to £810.this week. 
    If the weather ok I’ll be riding that to work now about 14 mile round trip they can stick there petrol up there arse. If the weathers nice. 
  • Once the sanctions hit I think prices will start to tick up further and further. 

Short term pain but hopefully over time will lessen our need for Russian gas and oil. 
  • We only import about 6-7% of our gas from Russia
    Gas and oil are globally traded commodities - even if we were self-sufficient the price of Brent crude for example would be similar to other world prices for oil.

According to data from the Office for National Statistics published in December, the top five goods exported from Russia to the UK in 2021 were:

1.) Unspecified goods* – accounted for £4.2bn or 38.7 per cent of all UK goods imported from Russia

2.) Refined oil – £2.6 billion or 24.1 per cent

3.) Non-ferrous metals – £1.3 billion or 11.8 per cent

4.) Crude oil – £1bn or 9.3 per cent

5.) Gas – £558.7m or 5.2 per cent

They're big figures and will cause a hit to our prices. 

We don’t use gas 

• ct_addick said:
    Can't believe that Putin has done this what with the pain the world has gone thru the last 2 years and this madman wants to start a war
    I think you've answered that yourself.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2022
    shirty5 said:
    We don’t use gas 

How do you keep warm?
  • ct_addick said:
    Can't believe that Putin has done this what with the pain the world has gone thru the last 2 years and this madman wants to start a war
    Ideal time for a war monger .. 'the west' is weakened financially and perhaps emotionally by the pandemic .. Putin knows that Nato  will bluster and condemn and send hardware assistance to Ukraine, and that is all, he has a free hand in Ukraine, economic sanctioons will hurt the Russian people, not the gangsters in power .. only idiots in the west want to start a war over this invasion .. and remember, a lot of EU nations rely on Russian gas, especially Germany .. national interests will take precedence ..

It looks as though Ukraine is on its own .. already horror film of flats demolished by rockets and bombs, not 'military targets', people's homes
    Remember Grozny

• I subscribe to an email detailing daily moves in petrol and diesel prices.
    Overnight following the Russian invasion of Ukraine, local prices have increased by 3 or 4 pence across the board.
    Not a huge increase admittedly, however, I suspect this is the start of a general rise in fuel prices, including domestic fuel prices as well as all food prices, after all,  all supplies end their journey in a fuel driven vehicle.

Has anyone else noticed sudden increases in petrol prices ?
    I fail to see the justification for upping prices already in the system.  I also fail to see why it didn't  edge down a bit either after the drivers issue.
    Actually I don't.  Most of the rise is ta  as most of the price is tax.... as usual no help from the Fat Liar then.
    there is little justification, it's 'big oil' making hay off a panic .. same as always .. shipping routes are still, open from the opec countries .. big oil knows that the 'days' of fossil fuel are numbered, albeit  a lot of days .. e.g Shell is now diversifying into things like broadband supply .. but nothing makes loads and loads of cash like selling oil products  
  • The Government is doing nicely with the increased VAT on higher energy bills and fuel. The proposed NI increase should be cancelled.
  • Just think if Corbyn had got in we would have been on Russias side. 
    Uh oh. Now you've done it.
  • Surprised there is no separate thread about the invasion.....I think more people are worried about fuel prices than the suffering and loss of life for the Ukranian people
  • ct_addick said:
    Surprised there is no separate thread about the invasion.....I think more people are worried about fuel prices than the suffering and loss of life for the Ukranian people
    Russia thread in House of Commoners
  • ct_addick said:
    Surprised there is no separate thread about the invasion.....I think more people are worried about fuel prices than the suffering and loss of life for the Ukranian people
    Was tempted to but it would descend into Biden/Trump EU/UK nonsense pretty quickly I think. 
  • The Government is doing nicely with the increased VAT on higher energy bills and fuel. The proposed NI increase should be cancelled.
    The overflowing government coffers should mean that we can make short work of the NHS backlog. And the national care system will soon be so good that people will never have to spend their savings on dementia care.
  • Sponsored links:

The overflowing government coffers should mean that we can make short work of the NHS backlog. And the national care system will soon be so good that people will never have to spend their savings on dementia care.
    I can only assume this is said sarcastically. 
  • The pumps have run dry at most of the petrol stations in Folkestone. Not sure if it's a local issue or not but if you're running low it might be an idea to fill up now.
  • took the chance today to fill up at Sainsbury in Grimsby .. price for standard petrol £1.459 (call it £1.46) .. has held firm all week .. I really thought thee would have been quite a steep rise .. similar prices at all the local supermarkets
  • edited February 2022
    I fill up at Costco.
    Always 4 or 5p a litre cheaper than anywhere else. ;)
  • Oil doesn’t stay in the ground or fuel in forecourt takes either. 
    It’s a delicate process of shipping and sale. 

My advice is try to use less then “top up, don’t fill up”
    Leave them with it - and watch the price tumble as they have to get rid of it (because they’ve already bought it in advance), and the punters won’t buy it at top price. 

Leave them with it - and watch the price tumble as they have to get rid of it (because they’ve already bought it in advance), and the punters won’t buy it at top price. 
    Good idea. 
    Will never happen. 

I suspect that many are having to use less and really think about whether they need to make the journey anyway, we really are facing a huge cost of living problem.
  • A drive to Somerset and back, Sidcup to Charlton twice and general local school runs has seen me put in £210 of petrol in 14 days. Bonkers

• I'm in Lanzarote and a litre is only a £1. Ridiculous the amount of tax we have on our petrol. Bastards. 
  • BP on Bromley Common 156-9, Shell 200 yards awy 149-9. BP always seem the first to jump around here.