Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Wet Fish / Seafood Stalls

Is selling shelfish outside a pub, a countrywide thing, or is it limited to London and some home counties?

My Mrs is from Fleet and says she's never heard of the concept, but I've always hought it was usual throughout the UK??? Surely you'd get them at least in Grimsby and the like at least?

Seeing as there seems to be people from all over the UK on here, thought I'd pose the question.

Comments

• There is a fish stall outside The Swan pub just down the road from the fire station in Maidstone.
  • edited June 2022
    Until I moved last month, I'd attend the Winkles seafood shack outside the Anchor & Hope every Friday. Whelks, cockles and crayfish my usual order. Must get back there soon, catch up with Lisa who runs it, who's very nice

Aware this doesn't come close to answering the question though, lol
  • Where have you moved to Leuth (if you wish to answer)?
  • It's very much a southern thing mate. 
  • Well, you could say Plymouth is a seafood city, and it’s absolutely not a thing here, pasties yes; seafood outside pubs: never.
  • edited June 2022
    Don't know how anyone eats the disgusting stuff (shellfish not pasties!).
  • Where have you moved to Leuth (if you wish to answer)?
    East Finchley. I know. Traitor. 
  • Don't know how anyone eats the disgusting stuff (shellfish not pasties!).
    Could live off it meself. Don't even bother taking the shell or shit pipe off the prawns. Head, tail and as many legs I can get hold of in one go, come off, and whatevers left goes down. Always suck the brains out the pawns head n all. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Leuth said:
    Where have you moved to Leuth (if you wish to answer)?
    Quite near me. I had wondered who had graffitied the Northern Line train with "Gilbey is a w*nker"
  • Leigh-on-sea near Southend has loads of seaford stalls
  • Leuth said:
    Quite near me. I had wondered who had graffitied the Northern Line train with "Gilbey is a w*nker"
    You jest! Actually, as North London goes it really isn't bad for getting to The Valley. Tube then train, takes just an hour. Could have been a lot worse
  • Leuth said:
    Quite near me. I had wondered who had graffitied the Northern Line train with "Gilbey is a w*nkler"

• Sponsored links:

• Probably the most famous sea food name in London belonged to Tubby Isaac's.

I never called on his stall in Aldgate despite passing it on a daily basis.  I guess that's part of the reason for it's closure in 2013. :/

https://spitalfieldslife.com/2013/06/13/so-long-tubby-isaacs-jellied-eel-stall/

• I thought they were all killed off by Squiddley Diddley humanising fish ;)
  • Probably the most famous sea food name in London belonged to Tubby Isaac's.

I never called on his stall in Aldgate despite passing it on a daily basis.  I guess that's part of the reason for it's closure in 2013. :/

https://spitalfieldslife.com/2013/06/13/so-long-tubby-isaacs-jellied-eel-stall/

I courted a girl from Limehouse in the late 70's who introduced me to his shit famous stall 
  • Stig said:
    I thought they were all killed off by Squiddley Diddley humanising fish ;)
    not forgetting Flipper and the Man from Atlantis.
  • edited June 2022
    It is an old London tradition, associated with its working class, sadly dying out now. The Anchor and Hope has a nice seafood/shell fish stall. I recall getting the winkles with my nan from outside our local in Islington as a boy. A fair bit of work teasing them out of the shell without breaking them using a saftey pin. Delicious though. I developed a taste for seafood and am one of the few who loves Whelks.

• I was saying to my Mrs last night that me and my brother would go down to the one Peter Darkins had outside The Horse years ago, with a list from my nan or dad, and get Sunday tea. This was long before Peter eventually ended up running the pub itself. Can remember us all sitting round in the living room and getting the winkles out their shells with pins from my mums sewing box. 

Also, 2 of my good friends had a go at running one up outside The Woodman, Blackfen. Think it lasted a couple of years before both their Mrs started having kids and they didn't get the time to carry it on.

Maybe it being popular in London had something to do with London being a port years ago and also having Billingsgate Market to hand? I just always assumed it was popular all over the UK, a bit like fish & chip shops.
  • We used to get ours from the stall outside The Sun In The Sands every sunday. Winkle sandwiches with vinegar & pepper and a pint of prawns. If I was really lucky some whelks as well
  • edited June 2022
    Hal1x said:
    Stig said:
    I thought they were all killed off by Squiddley Diddley humanising fish ;)
    not forgetting Flipper and the Man from Atlantis.
    *That shark thing: he had more GCE’s than you!
  • Always used to be one outside the now defunct Great Harry in Parsonage Manorway Erith. 
  • Leigh-on-sea near Southend has loads of seaford stalls
    Same here.