Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

CHARLTON’S ACADEMY RANKED EIGHTH IN ENGLAND

Charlton have been placed eighth in the more recent three-season ranking of all 92 Premier League and EFL clubs. During the longer term 12-year period the club ranked first among all 72 EFL clubs and ninth overall among all 92 Premier League and EFL clubs.
https://www.charltonafc.com/news/charltons-academy-ranked-eighth-england

Comments

• The FA have decided we are not ready for CAT 1 football. The club need to take onboard where improvements are required to reach that criteria and see where they stand in May 2023
  • Just took a look through the Valiant 500 until 2010 to see if I could find the 72-names

Must have missed a couple as only have 67.

Equally wonder what the requirements for those numbers are, seeing you could include Oztumer | Haynes | Pope etc.

Guess as per the article I'm equally missing those who have potentially never played for us, but have gone to other League clubs, and made appearances there... e.g. Jordan Ibe?

• Davo55 said:
    Shouldn't this be more of a factor when the powers that be decide who should get Cat 1 status? It could be argued that the results Steve Avory and his team achieve are as if not more important than the infrastructure, number of coaches etc.
    I hope and expect TS to be making that exact point to the relevant authorities 
  • Davo55 said:
    Shouldn't this be more of a factor when the powers that be decide who should get Cat 1 status? It could be argued that the results Steve Avory and his team achieve are as if not more important than the infrastructure, number of coaches etc.
    Because.... Ged Roddy.
  • It shows that there is a flaw in which CAT 1 is calculated. It can only show that when stats prove it. The people responsible for CAT 1 should ask themselves why but they won't. 
  • Anyone know where to find the full rankings?

• Sponsored links:

• Also interesting to know where those clubs with Cat 1 status appear in the lists.
  • The fact that is and Crewe are not cat 1 is all that is wrong with modern football. There are some championship clubs with cat 1 who have produced miles less than us.
    I give you Stoke City for one!
  • The stat I found interesting was the fact we rank first I'm the last 12 years amongst every current EFL club, and also at 9 years, 3rd in the last 3 years, but over 6 years we rank 19th! We must have really hit a dry patch in players at that point, or was everyone else suddenly utilising their youth teams a lot more?
  • edited August 2022
    Clearly an academy producing PL players is outperforming one where the same number of players are playing in L2 or the EFL Trophy.
    Well Man Utd have just sold Scott Devine to Swindon, so that player counts as a stat in this manner, the exact same way that our sale of George Lapslie to Mansfield would have done... I'd be surprised if a side like Man Utd etc. who field completely U21 teams in the EFL Trophy, have their figures increased by the competition too
  • Unless the appearances are weighted by the level at which they take place, I’m not sure how meaningful that stat is. Clearly an academy producing PL players is outperforming one where the same number of players are playing in L2 or the EFL Trophy. 

If a L2 club fielded only academy players because they had no money to pay anyone else, would they be judged the most successful academy? Does Matt Carter (signed from West Ham) equal Joe Gomez, because he made a late sub appearance in the trophy?
    Well Man Utd have just sold Scott Devine to Swindon, so that player counts as a stat in this manner, the exact same way that our sale of George Lapslie to Mansfield would have done...
    I can see that but unless you have some measure of the quality of player beyond crossing the line as a sub at any level I can’t see any value in the metric. It’s like arguing Charlton are better than, say, Watford because we won more games last season.
  • clive said:
    Makes sense. Thanks.
  • edited August 2022
    Just took a look through the Valiant 500 until 2010 to see if I could find the 72-names

Equally wonder what the requirements for those numbers are, seeing you could include Oztumer | Haynes | Pope etc.

Guess as per the article I'm equally missing those who have potentially never played for us, but have gone to other League clubs, and made appearances there... e.g. Jordan Ibe?

McGinty? Woodyard? Arter? Pritchard?
  • edited August 2022
    Just took a look through the Valiant 500 until 2010 to see if I could find the 72-names

McGinty? Woodyard? Arter? Pritchard?
    I certainly forgot about Danny Green in there as well - But all three good shouts, as all appeared in the League after 2010

Who is Pritchard?
  • Sponsored links:

• Bradley Pritchard, think he was in the Academy, before going to Loughborough Uni, and being picked back up from there, but I not positive.
  • Pritchard wasn’t in our academy, he moved between various non-league clubs before we signed him from Hayes & Yeading.
  • Just took a look through the Valiant 500 until 2010 to see if I could find the 72-names

Dimitar Mitov is one of the missing players.
  • Our development system is amazing all things considered. Certainly a feature of Charlton Athletic to be proud of.
  • Would be interesting to know what percentage of players in each academy make it to the first team and how many are discarded. The big clubs have good numbers but I imagine they might have 3 or 4 times the number of youth team players.
  • Does the likes of Kasey Palmer and Jeremy Sarmiento and Largie Ramazani count as players through the youth who now have footy careers albeit having never played for us?
  • great news and congratulations to all concerned
  • edited August 2022
    I wonder how much of the academy's success is down to the quality of our coaching and how much is down to an unusually deep pool of young talent in our catchment area?