Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Do England need the distraction of a Beckham sideshow in South Africa?

I say No. Bin him now. Don't agree with Ferguson on much but he doesn't let individual players distract from the job of winning. Last thing I want next year are countless stories/pictures about what Dave & Posh (sic) are getting up to.

Comments

• Im sure he and England can handle it, If he's good enough he should play. he can deffo do a job from the bench at least if he keeps his fitness levels up.
  • If by "sideshow" you mean taking the only capable crosser of the ball both in open play and dead ball situations to the World Cup then i say yes, yes we do need him.
  • He has to be in the squad. He puts more decent crosses into the box in one game than Lennon/SWP do in a season.
  • Great footballing brain along with a lot of ability. His all round game as matured significantly.

Corner after corner from Lampard hooved into the middle trying to get to Crouch. Beckham comes on, takes his first corner within three minutes and lays a beautiful short ball through to Wright Phillips, who buries it. Was anybody else on that pitch expecting that?

Class act and perfect to have on the bench. we've not seen the last of him that's for sure.
  • I thought the Beckham love-in last night was cringeworthy!

Saying that I still think he should go to SA.
  • [cite]Posted By: Plaaayer[/cite]I thought the Beckham love-in last night was cringeworthy!

Saying that I still think he should go to SA.

I think he was even embarrased.

Still, thought he played well when he came on. Should defo go to SA. Lennon and SWP are almost exactly the same player. DB can play in several positions, so can act as cover for a number of players.

And to be fair to him, i think he is a model pro...especially when he is involved in the England set-up. One of the only players that has a clear desire to play for his country.
  • keep the WAGS away from SA, that's the answer. If they can't bear to be away from their loved one's for a week then don't pick them, simples !!
  • OK so he can still cross a ball! What about the media circus he will bring with him. And Queen WAG starting off all the rubbish we had last time?
  • edited October 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Chaz Hill[/cite]OK so he can still cross a ball! What about the media circus he will bring with him. And Queen WAG starting off all the rubbish we had last time?

This time we have Fabio in charge. Cant see anything distracting our players while he's the main man.

He's already banned the WAG's.

And Media Circus?...its England in the World Cup. If he took 22 of us there would still be one!
  • I remember when we lost 2v 1 away to Norway. The players couldnt give a rats arse. The only one who was down about it was Phil Thompson. We where staying in thier hotel. Fans where barred from the bar after an hour as it was geting heated and players where geting mega grief. Phil Neal was in the room next to me and i tried to have words-- but it was 3am and he (tough scouseman that he is) wouldnt come out of his room.

Didnt like the way they where falling /fawning over Beckham last night, but id defo take him to SA.

They truley hate Darren Bent dont they ? mentioned just how little football the England forwards are geting and how few are first choices etc never mentioned the leading English goal scorer once.
  • Sponsored links:

• Agree vg tried to sign him on FIFA last night but he said my club (cafc) were not good enough bsterd
  • GH so true about Benty : Crouch + Agbonglahor(?) = 5 prem goals.... or... Darren Bent = 7 prem goals

Altho Crouchy did play well last night and does know where the goal is when playing for England.
  • He should go to SA, major, major influence used as a sub, if only for the opposition team to worry about his reputation for free kicks etc when he does come on.
  • edited October 2009
    [cite]Posted By: valleygary[/cite]GH so true about Benty : Crouch + Agbonglahor(?) = 5 prem goals.... or... Darren Bent = 7 prem goals

Altho Crouchy did play well last night and does know where the goal is when playing for England.

Those stats look favourable for Benty, and if you go back further it's even better. I (rather sadly) did some Wikipedia-ing and compiled the following list of goals scored by the strikers (and Lampard and Gerrard) in the England squad since DB starting playing in the Premiership in 2005/2006:

Wayne Rooney 60 goals
    Darren Bent 56
    Frank Lampard 50
    Steven Gerrard 47
    Jermain Defoe 46
    Gabby Agbonlahor 37
    Peter Crouch 33
    Emile Heskey 21
    Carlton Cole 17

Need I say more?
  • how the f*ck was Beckham MOTM last night?

apparently Steve Bruce choose it but he wasn't even watching the game - stood behind me all 2nd half, he had his arm around a very pretty blonde half his age and signing autographs most the second-half

the crowd creaming themselves when he went to warm-up was cringeworthy
  • [cite]Posted By: dabos[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: valleygary[/cite]GH so true about Benty : Crouch + Agbonglahor(?) = 5 prem goals.... or... Darren Bent = 7 prem goals

Those stats look favourable for Benty, and if you go back further it's even better. I (rather sadly) did some Wikipedia-ing and compiled the following list of goals scored by the strikers (and Lampard and Gerrard) in the England squad since DB starting playing in the Premiership in 2005/2006:

Wayne Rooney 60 goals
    Darren Bent 56
    Frank Lampard 50
    Steven Gerrard 47
    Jermain Defoe 46
    Gabby Agbonlahor 37
    Peter Crouch 33
    Emile Heskey 21
    Carlton Cole 17

Need I say more?

No sign of Michael Owen on your list there, dabos? Another 'superstar' for the bench at Benty's expense?
  • You could say isn't it hilarious when every muppet commentator from Hansen to Dixon bang on about Defoe being a 1 in two goalscorer. When did he ever do that?

Beckham has to go. If theo doesn't work on the right how is aaron a different option? I'd take both Aaron and Theo but attempt to bed Aaron into the team on the left during friendlies. What is it with people can't they understand patterns in a match? What happens in the final third of the latter rounds of tournaments? Players get tired, Beckham comes on and finds more space. Even if he doesn't his free kicks are still world class and more to the point his defesnive positioning is above any flank player we have. He has to be in the team.

If Joe Cole comes back, you'll almost have the perfect flank combination with Theo and Joe. But Beckham offers something different when the game starts to stretch.
  • Ask yourself this: is Beckham a bigger sideshow if he's in the squad, in the team hotel and kept away from the media; or if he's not picked and invited to SA by every diamond-mining, brewery or tourism billionaire, to help pump their products?
  • Who else would we blame not winning it on?

David James, I suppose.
  • [cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]Ask yourself this: is Beckham a bigger sideshow if he's in the squad, in the team hotel and kept away from the media; or if he's not picked and invited to SA by every diamond-mining, brewery or tourism billionaire, to help pump their products?

Difficult balance Chizz. What about his missus though. Ban WAGS totally?

How does the 'hero worship' affect team moral and teamwork generally? The Manager has done well because he is building a 'team' with no 'special ones'.
  • Sponsored links:

• He has to go, as should the other DB.

Not sure many would have thought we'd be saying this after St Etienne at France 98, though.
  • edited October 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Chaz Hill[/cite]

No sign of Michael Owen on your list there, dabos? Another 'superstar' for the bench at Benty's expense?

I just didn't include him as he wasn't in the squad for the Ukraine/Belarus games. Owen has scored 28 Premiership goals since 2005/2006.

Whether Beckham should be in the squad should be based on footballing reasons only, none of this media sideshow/circus bollocks.
  • It was so boring i switched over before half time. switched back with minutes to go to check the score and he was named man of match couldnt believe it thought i must of missed 1 hell of a second half then they said we won 3-0!!
  • Capello said him getting MOM was like Obama getting the Nobel Peace Prize. Quite a pithy quote for a football manager.

Ghandi never got a Man of the Match you know.
  • [cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite]Ghandi never got a Man of the Match you know.

Hard to play in sandals
  • [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]He has to go, as should the other DB.

I think David Bentley has blown his chance.
  • edited October 2009
    [cite]Posted By: kinveachyaddick[/cite]how the f*ck was Beckham MOTM last night?

apparently Steve Bruce choose it but he wasn't even watching the game - stood behind me all 2nd half, he had his arm around a very pretty blonde half his age and signing autographs most the second-half

the crowd creaming themselves when he went to warm-up was cringeworthy

Hmm could be because he came on and straight away changed the game and his passes always fell to a team mate and showed heart and desire to not just be there but to win and this transferred accross the entire team!
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]He has to go, as should the other DB.

Not sure many would have thought we'd be saying this after St Etienne at France 98, though.

Agreed David Bently should go.... wait hell no he shouldn't Darren Bent should!
  • At least Dazzler understands me ;-)
  • edited October 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]Ask yourself this: is Beckham a bigger sideshow if he's in the squad, in the team hotel and kept away from the media; or if he's not picked and invited to SA by every diamond-mining, brewery or tourism billionaire, to help pump their products?

Difficult balance Chizz. What about his missus though.
    No. Her ball skills may be good and she packs a bit more up front these days, but she lacks the class.

Ban WAGS totally?
    I don't think you can do that. If any of the WAGs want to go to SA on holiday, you can't stop them. You can, however keep them away from the team.

How does the 'hero worship' affect team moral and teamwork generally? The Manager has done well because he is building a 'team' with no 'special ones'.
    Completely agree. Under Sven, Becks was the superstar hero. Now under his Fabship, Becks is merely one of the squad. Exactly how it should be.
  • [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite]Ghandi never got a Man of the Match you know.

Hard to play in sandals

Every time he got a corner he.............

Oh I suppose you can't tell that joke anymore can you? Well only in private.