Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Fifa call an EGM

Due to recent events in the world of football, namely incidents at the play-offs for the 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa™, match control (refereeing) and irregularities in the football betting market, the FIFA President has called an extraordinary meeting of the Executive Committee.

The extraordinary meeting of the Executive Committee will take place in Cape Town on 2 December 2009, starting at 15.00.

So Henry may be getting a ban.

Comments

• World Cup draws on the 4th, maybe they're gonna work out how they can fix that one too! ;)
  • The seeding is being decided by a FIFA Committee on 2 December as well... they've certainly got a busy couple of days!
  • The bigger issue is the Egypt-Algeria match. Both could get bans. Algeria just for the tournament. Egypt for anything up to 4 years.

In truth, though, I think it's right before the draw for the World Cup groups so FIFA can news-dump the betting scandal. And the Henry thing. And the Egypt-Algeria thing. News-dump the whole lot of it, eh?
  • Whats happened with Egypt-Algeria IA?
  • http://goal.com/en/news/1863/world-cup-2010/2009/11/23/1642586/egypt-algeria-controversy-rages-on Football and politics don't mix! Who would take their place if both were banned?
  • Great question. I have no idea. Zambia finished third in their group, but it'd be mad for them to go. It could be Burkina Faso, who were the best second placed team.

Or, in a mad move from FIFA, it could be Ireland.

Only kidding, but I have no idea what they'd do if they banned Algeria, and I think it'd be strange to ban Egypt and not Algeria.
  • edited November 2009
    [cite]Posted By: guinnessaddick[/cite]So Henry may be getting a ban.

A little harsh.

Sure, he can be a bit of a wind-up merchant, but he has some thought-provoking ideas and this forum would be a poorer place without him.

Remember ... a cardigan is not just for Christmas.
  • This is just a PR stunt, they will not change or do anything special. Would not be surprised if they decide to make the world cup draws so that France, Portugal etc have an easy passage to the knockouts.

I dread to think what will happen with the Euro 2012 qualifying draws!
  • Sponsored links:

• Probably looking for a way to dump England out of the tournament...
  • [cite]Posted By: The Red Robin[/cite]http://goal.com/en/news/1863/world-cup-2010/2009/11/23/1642586/egypt-algeria-controversy-rages-onFootball and politics don't mix! Who would take their place if both were banned?

I just realised what FIFA might do, given their form so far this year. They could give the spot to either the highest ranked team who didn't qualify (Croatia) or the highest ranked African team who didn't qualify (Mali). I still have no idea, though.
  • I would imagine they would give the place to another African Team, as there has to be a certain amount of teams representing each confederation.
  • [cite]Posted By: cafcdan18[/cite]This is just a PR stunt, they will not change or do anything special. Would not be surprised if they decide to make the world cup draws so that France, Portugal etc have an easy passage to the knockouts.

I dread to think what will happen with the Euro 2012 qualifying draws!
    France got drawn in the statistically hardest group ever drawn for qualifying for a major tournament, for the 2008 Euros, so this might just be insane paranoia.
  • The most ridiculous thing i read in that article was "Amr Zaki has said that a move to Portsmouth will no longer go ahead due to their having an Algerian - Nadir Belhadj - in their ranks".

He apparently also said "After Portsmouth signed an Israeli player (Tal Ben Haim) and also hired an Israeli football director (Avram Grant), a possible move was ruled out."

How can he be allowed to get away with saying that?
  • [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]The most ridiculous thing i read in that article was "Amr Zaki has said that a move to Portsmouth will no longer go ahead due to their having an Algerian - Nadir Belhadj - in their ranks".

He apparently also said "After Portsmouth signed an Israeli player (Tal Ben Haim) and also hired an Israeli football director (Avram Grant), a possible move was ruled out."

How can he be allowed to get away with saying that?

Completely agree with you Chris. People have spent alot of effort on the 'Kick Racisim out of Football' campaign. If Amir Zaki has those sort of views, then English Football is better off without him.