Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

BBC Sports Personality of the Year Awards 2009

The nominees have been announced:

Jenson Button
Mark Cavendish
Tom Daley
Jessica Ennis
Ryan Giggs
David Haye
Phillips Idowu
Andy Murray
Andrew Strauss
Beth Tweddle

Who do you all think deserves it based on their performances this year?

Other awards on the night will include:

-Team of the Year
- Coach of the Year
- Overseas Personality
- Young Personality
- Helen Rollason Award
- Unsung Hero Award
- Lifetime Achievement

Any suggestions for these as well?

Personally I would choose Strauss for the overall award.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tv_and_radio/sports_personality_of_the_year/8386162.stm

Comments

• Strauss is a good shout, not just for the Ashes, he's had a good year with the bat scoring heavily in the West Indies. I suspect it'll go to the tax exile.

Overseas personality - Usain Bolt.
  • Coach of the year - Phil Parkinson? ;)
  • Button or Haye I would suggest
  • Coach of the Year...I've got a suggestion. Harry Redknapp. Yeah ok, you lot all hate him with a passion but the job he has done at Spurs is nothing short of a miracle to turn us into absolute no hopers to possible top 4 contenders in a year.

Overseas personality of the year for me should be Ricky Ponting. He showed true class during the Ashes.

Why has Andy Murray been nominated? What has he won?
  • Don't get Murray even being nominated either. Probably because he's a half-decent British tennis player. Redknapp's not a bad shout and on the same grounds Hiddink would've been worth a shout after sorting Chelsea out last season. Not sure what the rules are on foreigners in that respect though. Anyone?
  • Two motorsport awards, I reckon. Button and Brawn.
  • [cite]Posted By: IA[/cite]Two motorsport awards, I reckon. Button and Brawn.

Unfortunately I think you're right. Not sure I'd even class F1 as a sport, but that's a completely different debate!
  • Jessica Ennis or Philips Idowu for me.
  • Akpo Sodje
  • Actually, I'm surprised Andrew Flintoff wasnt included in the list. He didnt have a brilliant Ashes series overall by his normal standards but he played a key part in the win, especially that amazing bowling spell at Lords before lunch on Day 5 which ended a 75 year drought of a test match win over the convicts at the home of Cricket.

Freddie showed more personality on the morning of that 5th day than any of that shortlist above have all year.
  • Sponsored links:

• Cavendish for me.
  • Achievement and ability alone, Cavendish all day long.

Its laughable Wiggins isnt in the list.
  • I think Giggs should win it, don't you Ollie? ;-)

Honestly it's a Sports Personality of the Year Award not a Lifetime Achievement Oscar *rolls eyes*... he wasn't even the best player for Man Utd last season!
  • Unsung hero: The weather during the ashes.

Sports personality: Kelly Youga
  • The BBC are only generally interested in sports they have the rights to show.

Will be amazed if Button doesn't win the top award.
  • It'll be Button as the beeb show F1, Haye won't get a look in as they'd have to ask Sky for images and that won't happen.

Justice for the Hayemaker :0)
  • Cavendish or Idowu for me & if we're actually talking about personality then it should be Idowu as Mark can throw a right strop if things dont go his way. Its nice to see its a tough choice for a change. Team of the year, the England Cricket team. Manager of the year, i hate to say it but i'd give it to Pulis, he's created more miracles at Stoke than 'Ary at Spurs imho. Unsung hero, well saw the south east nominee this morning on tv. An oap who still ref's & coaches kids. He was really surprised & could'nt understand what all the fuss was about. Bless him.
  • [cite]Posted By: JohnBoyUK[/cite]Coach of the Year...I've got a suggestion. Harry Redknapp for turning Spurs into possible top 4 contenders in a year.

Touch of irony there? ;-)
  • Overseas - Manny Pacquiao
  • Coach of the year: Valley Express.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: JohnBoyUK[/cite]Actually, I'm surprised Andrew Flintoff wasnt included in the list. He didnt have a brilliant Ashes series overall by his normal standards but he played a key part in the win, especially that amazing bowling spell at Lords before lunch on Day 5 which ended a 75 year drought of a test match win over the convicts at the home of Cricket.

Freddie showed more personality on the morning of that 5th day than any of that shortlist above have all year.

'Personality' doesn't really come into it to be honest - I know that's the title of the award but Michael Owen has won it before so that rules out the importance of a personality. It's just sportsperson of the year.

I think Button will win. Don't know enough about the non-footballing sports to say who should win.
  • England Rugby team for Team of the Year, Martin Johnson for coach

Tiger Woods for Overseas Driver of the year

Andy Murray for services to Anglo- Scottish relations
  • the lovely Miss Ennis pour moi!

make sure you get a copy of this - in WH Smiths nationwide from Friday 11th Dec
  • Personality will be Button, but think Cavendish derserves it more!
    Team of year could be right with brawn aswell, but they do deserve it
    Manager of year got to be Harry Redknapp
    Overseas Bolt shud win hands down
  • Sports personality - Button
    Overseas - Usain Bolt
    Team of the year - England Ashes team
  • Surely Jenson Button should be a nominee for overseas sports personality of the year?
  • Historically the public votes for Formula 1 drivers in this.
    Button is nailed on - fact.

Why no Phil Taylor though?
  • [cite]Posted By: JohnBoyUK[/cite]
    Exactly. Nobody who hasn't won a major title in the last year should be considered (though he's won several minor tournaments), I completely agree.
    [cite]Posted By: JohnBoyUK[/cite]
    Coach of the Year...I've got a suggestion. Harry Redknapp. Yeah ok, you lot all hate him with a passion but the job he has done at Spurs is nothing short of a miracle to turn us into absolute no hopers to possible top 4 contenders in a year.
    Hang on....
  • [cite]Posted By: MrOneLung[/cite]
    Why no Phil Taylor though?

Could say the same for AP McCoy, wins his field every season. By a long way.
  • "Personality" Should be Sportsman/woman.
    1 Jenson Button
    2 Ryan Giggs
    3 David Haye

Team of the Year
    England cricket

Young Personality
    Tom Daley

Lifetime Achievement
    Ryan Giggs