Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rock and Chips - Only Fools and Horses prequel tonight

edited January 2010 in Not Sports Related
BBC1 at 9pm if anyone's interested.
February 1960. Orchard Street, Peckham. The glamorous (some might say tarty) Joan Trotter is off to work at the Ritz Cinema, strutting down the road with her clickety-clack heels and swinging hips drawing disdainful glances from her jealous neighbours.

Through a leafy country lane, a 1959 Jaguar Mark 9 races towards London with Freddie "The Frog" Robdal at the wheel and Gerald "Jelly" Kelly alongside. And a young Del Boy sits with his mates Trigger, Boycie, Denzil and Jumbo Mills polishing off their half pints of beer while Bobby Day’s Rockin’ Robin plays on the jukebox of the Nag’s Head.

Welcome to Rock & Chips, the bittersweet comedy-drama from the pen of John Sullivan starring Nicholas Lyndhurst, Kellie Bright and James Buckley.

Kellie Bright is Joan Trotter. Stuck in a loveless marriage to the workshy Reg (Shaun Dingwall), her only escape is the pictures, working as an usherette at the Ritz Cinema and losing herself in the glamour of the black-and-white movies on the silver screen. Here she shares a joke with her friend Reenie and does her best to evade the rather hands-on approach to uniform inspections from her manager, Mr Raynor (Robert Dawes). Outside, life is hard as she holds down two jobs to feed her family, including Reg's dad (Phil Daniels) who has moved in with them. Life is hard, that is, until Freddie (Nicholas Lyndhurst) arrives back in town, fresh from a stay at Her Majesty's Pleasure. He soon spots Joan and starts to befriend the family, offering Reg work as a way to ingratiate himself. But he also has big plans which need paying for ... despite his best intentions to stay on the straight and narrow.

Meanwhile, Del (James Buckley) is making use of his new friend, Denzil's, dockyard connections, taking care of "damaged" stock that's arrived from America – LPs, watches, clothes and even some brand-new carpet. Del claims he can can sell anything: "I guarantee you, one day I’m gonna be a millionaire," he boldly claims.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00qgrc7

Comments

• Wonder if there will be any Charlton coverage, not intending to watch it.
  • a new day for jack bauer tonight on sky 1 at 9pm
  • Well, in 1960 Millwall were in the Third Division - not exactly setting Peckham alight.
  • Oggy Red
    Think you could be wrong re Millwall.1948 to 1958 div 3 south.1958 to 1962 millwall played in DIVISION 4 (FOUR).
  • Looking forward to watching this one off rock and chips tonight.Also O F AND H 15-15 BBC1 this afternoon.Re rock and chips some of the filming was carried out down in Greenwich i think.
  • Down at the Pelton Arms if I believe right, think they've still got the Nags Head sign hanging outside
  • [cite]Posted By: Lewis Coaches[/cite]Oggy Red
    Think you could be wrong re Millwall.1948 to 1958 div 3 south.1958 to 1962 millwall played in DIVISION 4 (FOUR).

Happy .......no VERY happy to be corrected there, Lewises!!

;o)
  • Sorry about that Oggy.You can buy me a drink for that.Catch up with you and Pete one day.
    Does look good Millwall Division 4.Ha Ha.
  • [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Down at the Pelton Arms if I believe right, think they've still got the Nags Head sign hanging outside

where in greenwich is the pelton arms please?
  • [cite]Posted By: clive the addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Down at the Pelton Arms if I believe right, think they've still got the Nags Head sign hanging outside

where in greenwich is the pelton arms please?

pelton rd, off christchurch way.
    not far from cutty sark tavern.
  • Sponsored links:

• Pelton road 23-25 Greenwich,just off Trafalgar Road and Blackwall Lane.
  • here is a picure with the nags head sign up.
  • No matter how hard anyone tries I cant see people being able to see past Only Fools and Horses. The actors are already making statements advising that it isnt a sitcom.

Dont hold out much hope for this to be honest. Even though I think the 24 franchise is getting a little tired, I'll probably end up watching that instead.

Actually sawbthem filming some of rock and chips. On the riverfront juwt down from the dome. Rode past one Sunday morning.
  • [cite]Posted By: Lewis Coaches[/cite]Pelton road 23-25 Greenwich,just off Trafalgar Road and Blackwall Lane.

thank you
  • [cite]Posted By: ThreadKiller[/cite]a new day for jack bauer tonight on sky 1 at 9pm
    Already seen the first 4 episodes on download from the States - it's back on track :o)
  • To be honest, that "taster" sounds bloody awful!
  • Hope this programme does not detract from what a great series 'only fools was'.........
    Green, green, grass, simply is not up to it, ''
    'Prequel's' are an interesting idea in tv and films although peoples' expectations are bound to be high...... surprissed that he went with the 'Troter theme' quite why the BBC cannot introduce the idea of one of drama and play's is a mystery to me, it is what they should be doing, but then the controller and head of tv seems to have an issue with that format.

I shall be watching and hopefully be surprised, but a big,big act to follow..........
  • The Jollys Boys Outing episode was on the other day - comedy gold!
  • I'll be checking this out on iPlayer, the Milan derby's on ESPN tonight :)
  • [cite]Posted By: allez les addicks[/cite]I'll be checking this out on iPlayer, the Milan derby's on ESPN tonight :)

It'll be nil nil, check out young Del!!

People who can't decipher that this is not Fools and Horses is well, a fool!! Why can't people just enjoy what could be a good insight into Sullivans take on Del when he was a young lad.

Some people honestly need to lighten up!!
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]The Jollys Boys Outing episode was on the other day - comedy gold!

my all time favourite episode...and I've got them all...pure classic
  • [cite]Posted By: Elthamaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]The Jollys Boys Outing episode was on the other day - comedy gold!

my all time favourite episode...and I've got them all...pure classic

Love the part when they all find out they actually have to stay overnight, Trigger walking back and forth past the camera!! Awesome comedy gold.
  • [cite]Posted By: MCS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: allez les addicks[/cite]I'll be checking this out on iPlayer, the Milan derby's on ESPN tonight :)

It'll be nil nil, check out young Del!!

People who can't decipher that this is not Fools and Horses is well, a fool!! Why can't people just enjoy what could be a good insight into Sullivans take on Del when he was a young lad.

Some people honestly need to lighten up!!

Luckily it'll be half time by the time Rock and Chips starts, so if it's looking like an awful game I'll change!
  • Is that Roy Slater in OFAH? Seem to recognise the name
  • And Del's mum...

...would ya?
  • [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Is that Roy Slater in OFAH? Seem to recognise the name
    Yeah WSS, he is the copper from the series, think Jim Broadbent plays him.
  • [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Is that Roy Slater in OFAH? Seem to recognise the name
    Yeah WSS, he is the copper from the series, think Jim Broadbent plays him.
    Cheers mate.
  • [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Is that Roy Slater in OFAH? Seem to recognise the name
    Roy Slater is the their old school mate who turns up as a rather nasty and definitely bent copper...
  • There was a Charlton reference you'll be pleased to know...
  • The Spanners just got a mention...